8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Tree of Life

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Tree of Life
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 12, 2011 09:40 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone here as yet watched this movie?, at the moment we are running the 35mm trailer and the film starts here in two weeks.

It seems to have had some interesting reviews, either people really like it or hate it... quite extremes. We have fully booked out screenings of "Harry Potter" this weekend so have placed the trailer as the last one just before the feature. If the trailer is anything to go by it looks very interesting "something different" plus a good cast might be another film worth going to the cinema "35mm" [Wink] to watch. [Smile]
 -

|  IP: Logged

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2011 10:44 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I made the effort to see it projected on film. Even my wife who didn't really understand it or like it that much, thought it was worth seeing for the beautiful film imagery. I am sure the very slow pacing like all Terence Malick films will turn off the MTV crowd. Too bad. Movies that make you think are hard to come by...

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2011 11:44 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very much looking forward to this, to compare it with "The Thin Red Line" and "The New World."

Malick is a visual poet so it's a matter of settling back and letting him do his thing. Reviews have been all over the place, so it will be an interesting viewing. I just hope they run it at one of the places with a good-sized screen here in town.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 25, 2011 04:20 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well our young side kick projectionist put the 35mm print together last weekend and today I watched it, he did a nice job of it [Smile]

To start with I think this film is suited to what I would call the "film look" and not a video presentation.

The 35mm print on a large screen looked very good indeed as with the digital sound track.

I thought the film was well done and it ran for around 146 minutes. Its an unusual film and for those who are fed a diet of Spiderman, X men..the usual non thinky stuff....well they might not get it [Confused] Its a movie you just have to sit back with an open mind and take it in if you get my meaning. On the acting side, the kids were very good but Brad Pitt acting as the father was downright nasty .

Overall I thought this film was well worth watching, it might not be every ones "cup of tea" but if you want to watch something thats a bit different...then its a good one.

Graham.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 18, 2013 07:47 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched the DVD last night, I think [Smile] I can now figure what this film was all about...it took a bit though [Big Grin]

I still wonder if our young side kick projectionist back then, got those reels in the right order.....one will never know [Roll Eyes]

Graham.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 19, 2013 12:31 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a beautiful film - nothing less than would be expected from Malick.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC