8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » DERANN CLOSING DOWN (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Author Topic: DERANN CLOSING DOWN
Brian James
Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2011 12:01 PM      Profile for Brian James     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spoke to Gary today and there isn't much left. All splicing kit has gone and so have the lamps and white boxes that was on their last list. As for films left he didn't say. I think a lot of collectors are going to be disappointed when they make that final trip.

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 05, 2011 12:55 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it's partly a matter of whether they managed to list all the remaining used prints on the final list, or whether there are more on the premises. There always seemed to lots waiting to be checked and listed.

I'd be surprised if there weren't reasonable numbers of new prints left though - there were plenty listed on the last list. When I phoned to reserve a 200' railway film I wanted, Ged checked trays already prepared for next Sunday and said "we only have one left of those". So even if films are going like 'hot cakes', maybe the number of new shorts they ordered before the lab closed was so substantial that they still have 2 or 3 copes of quite a few.

If everything is sold by 11am - and that doesn't include the Derann GS Xenon - perhaps the staff will permit a final 'farewell' film screening in the cinema, with the audience providing the films!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2011 02:16 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to take along my Super 8 cine camera to get some footage. I am sure this would be okay to do wouldn't it? I think it should be recorded on the stuff Derann championed; Super 8 film!

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2011 03:12 PM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,
just regarding the final newsletter... I was checking my emails when it arrived at 4:56 time lasy friday.
Immediately checked it for about eight minutes... found 8 titles...replied to Gary at 5:08 and he replied this morning: all films are sold!

In the last six months I never succedeed in buying even a short!

Even the GS1200 lamps, the white card boxes for 600' reels and the 400' grasso reels were not available!

Indeed these last newsletters are very strange to me...

F.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 05, 2011 04:02 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whats a "Gravy Train"???

By gum... [Big Grin]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2011 04:54 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To especially Steve and Flavio -- My reply to the Final List took more than 8 or 15 minutes, so not surprisingly none of my wishes were available either. I did request a few of their discounted new 200-footers, and scored about half.

If the store is emptied of stock, that's the best possible thing for our friends there.

Simon, a smashing idea and hope you catch some good footage for us.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2011 05:47 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve and Flavio, Im afraid its always been the case you need to phone and phone quick not email. I know its costly if you live abroad but im afraid its always been the way at Derann. But even I have also lost out on films by not phoning quick enough. It seems certain films I want, 200 other collectors also want and phone minutes after recieving the email and when I get the chance to phone I hear "its gone".

Still this is all in the past now. It will be very sad not to receive these email lists every month. Even if I dont buy any films they make very enjoyable reading.

Graham

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 05, 2011 06:18 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done very well by e-mailing to the lists over the years, but it's all in the timing...

If Derann sent out a list just before they went home for the day it arrived while my British Brethren were driving home from their jobs.

On the other hand I'm five time zones back so very often they showed up my desk at work just as I was supposed to be headed to lunch on Friday. For quite a few years I was basically bolted to my chair from 11:45 to 12:15 on Fridays: poised to pounce! ("Why doesn't Steve ever want to go out to lunch?")

What stunk was when the lists showed up at my house when I was unemployed...I almost didn't want to see what was inside!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 05, 2011 06:58 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit although e-mail was good I did miss those lists and newsletters that came through the normal post. Its just as well I missed out on many films over the years, as otherwise I would have been totally broke so missing out was not altogether a bad thing. [Smile]

Graham.

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2011 09:17 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I scored two reels the week before last, was supposed to have been paid for on 8/26 and shipped, but haven't been charged yet, and emailed Gary about it. Haven't heard from him. I'm sure they're busy, but I see these titles on the final list, so unless they are duplicates, I'm unsure as to my order. We'll see, I guess.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2011 10:41 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about Derann but I was unhappy when Red Fox films stopped business. But collectors will find ways to collect and someone will take hold of the torch and carry it in the future.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2011 12:31 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could things get more difficult? Sure. Will collecting continue? Absolutely, until all lowfade polyester prints rot. Not in our lifetimes!

Starting to think that the Final List only took one phone call: "Ged, I'll take everything!" Now, who would do a thing like that? [Mad]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 06, 2011 01:30 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary sent me an e-mail this morning, the films I asked for are gone, it does not bother me, my main concern is that Gary finds another job. As for any future film collecting, its the end of the road for me. I am not interested in e-bay but will continue to enjoy the films that I have got and hopefully keep those projectors running for a few more years yet.

Graham.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2011 02:52 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just received my last order from Derann. NO HUNTING in scope and TUMMY TROUBLE. I still want a few more features. Had I had the funds I would have gotten THE ABYSS.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2011 03:10 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just returned from Deranns this evening.

It was really sad to see the shop and the lads working so frantically to fulfill all the orders they have received this week. It really felt unjust that they are working so hard to satisfy collectors when, after Sunday they will be out of employment.

It was my intention to be there on Sunday, and I told the lads as much. Unfortunately, on our return home we were involved in a car accident. Thankfully, neither my wife, my daughter or myself were injured, niether were any third parties. But, it does mean that I may not have transport to attend on Sunday.

Therefore, I am sure Gary,Ged,Steve and Adrian know that I wish them the best of everyting for the future, whatever that may be.

Also, my profound thanks for all their help in the past and most of all, their friendship. Dudley will not be the same anymore and that, is a big thing to say for someone who was born not far away from there.

Good luck lads - you deserve it!

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2011 11:34 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got off the phone and have reliable word that there ARE still some films in the shop to purchase, so Sunday is NOT just a coffee reception!

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2011 01:02 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad news indeed,I will be there on Sunday to say goodbye to the lads,who else is going?

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 08, 2011 07:48 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith. We are both thinking of you all and do take care. XXXX

Mark. I'll be going and also picking up a few old faces on the way to fill the car up all being well. As with everyone else going it will be great to thank all the lads and also buy some items to help Adrian clear some stock out down the store. [Frown]
We are gonna miss them big time!

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 08, 2011 09:56 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For what it worth, I had a look at the eBay seller's listings and I don't think there's a connection with Derann's closure - which isn't mentioned and they may be unaware of - ...
[Smile] Oh I think they're very much aware of it, Adrian. [Wink]

Have a good time on Sunday those who are going. I know it'll be a very nostalgic trip for some of you.

Michael Hyde
Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2011 04:15 PM      Profile for Michael Hyde   Email Michael Hyde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a lighter note,how many can recall being there at Deranns,on the day they opened their store in 1978,with Barbara Windsor doing the honours?...Yesterday recalling with Adrian some of the names of the past staff who worked there....great times to remember...the premier night film shows on the saturday evening before the sunday open days?...the large 8mm film library shelves we used to delve into?...great times..and a great company of guys there...gonna miss you all

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2011 06:03 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree Michael.

Thought it might be nice to list a "Roll of Honour" or "End Credits" of current and past staff that I can remember -

Derek Simmonds
Ann Simmonds
Steve Simmonds
Adrian Simmonds
Ged Jones
Gary Brocklehurst
Steve Wellings
Steve Morris
Dale Hemenway
Mark Ratcliffe
Mike Dimmock
Duncan Macleod
Paul Foster
Dave Worrall
John Thompson
Graham Dale
Marlene

(Also, all the "behind the scenes" staff ie Accounts)

God Bless 'em all

My sincere apologies for anyone I've missed. If anyone can "enlarge" the list, then please do so.

[ September 11, 2011, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: Keith Ashfield ]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2011 08:37 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't enlarge on the sales staff, but remember most of them. Steve Morris would try to flog you anything at the open days,sometimes offering a 'mystery' 2 reeler, already bagged for £10. It usually turned out to be an Elvis cutdown for some reason.
Perhaps Marlene should get a mention for her contribution during the auctions.
There is a quote saying something like "Don't be sad it's over, just be happy it happened"

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 09, 2011 11:47 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that the same Paul Foster who runs Paul Foster Films?

--------------------
Winbert

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 09, 2011 12:22 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's the same Paul Foster.

I have fond memories of Dale Hemenway, as if you bought items from him at conventions or open days, he would quickly ask you for a sum that covered everthing, which always sounded very reasonable. If you then added up the full value of the items, you found that he had 'rounded down' the total by about 25%! Many years later, I mentioned this to another member of staff, who was astonished!

I vaguely recall that Dale may have gone on to do something in the film industry.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2011 12:29 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the last day of trading on Sunday...I wonder what the last ever film to be sold will be?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC