8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » DERANN CLOSING DOWN (Page 8)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Author Topic: DERANN CLOSING DOWN
Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2011 01:07 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian - you are correct in your assumption about Dale and "working in the film industry". Here is a link to his website -

Dale Hemenway

I believe Dale was instrumental in getting "The Snowman" released on Supr 8mm

The other "name" on there is Dave Worrall who is now a successful author / publisher / film producer. He is one of the co-founders of "Cinema Retro" and self confessed fanatic about films of the 1970/80's

Cinema Retro

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 09, 2011 06:03 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith - thanks for the link regardng Dale. I thought he was involved in animation, but I was more aware of Dave's accomplishments, and bumped into him several years ago at a concert in London.

It's not surprising that some very creative people have worked for Derann Film Services, as the film handling and marketing, and links with major distributors must have given a very real sense of working within the film industry. In the great days of the 80s and 90s, I always felt you were entering an outpost of Hollywood when you walked in for an Open Day!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2011 04:53 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't help but see
an auction such as this
as a likely attempt to capitalize on Derann's shutdown. I am suspious, but have no direct knowledge, that this was the print on Derann's second-to-last list, for a lot less money than the listing here (it was L220).

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 10, 2011 05:01 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

I may be wrong but I'm pretty certain that this seller had this print for sale quite some time before Derann announced their closure.

-Mike

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2011 05:38 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely correct Michael. I think this is the third attempt at selling this particular print.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2011 05:44 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK guys, thank you! I'll work harder at thinking kind thoughts! [Big Grin] Of course, if this individual has that kind of money actually in the print, well, we wish them good success in getting it sold.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2011 05:51 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill - don't apologise for your "thoughts". I am sure over the next few weeks they will be well founded.

--------------------

Michael Hyde
Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2011 02:14 AM      Profile for Michael Hyde   Email Michael Hyde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two more to add to the Derann staff list...John Thompson their brilliant service engineer and Graham Dale

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 11, 2011 10:21 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is now Sunday morning ...

9 am. Mountain standard time. In England, I would judge it is around 5 pm or so, which means that Derann is either preparing to lock it's doors as an operating business, at the close of the day, for the last time.

There's a part of me that really desperately wishes that I could be there to shake thier hands and say, "well done!", but I would almost want to to turn away as that door is locked for the last time time and the business closes up shop.

The haunting image of no doubt bare or nearly bare walls ...

The once plentiful shelves of 8mm and 16 film prints, now bereft of prints ...

walking the aisles walked so often with joy and anticipation on open days ...

The tours that the always helpful staff would give with enthusiasm is requested, concerning the inner workings of a "film house".

However ...

Derann will still exist ...

Everytime I spool up a Derann print! Everytime that Derann logo appears on the screen (remember those earlier 70's Derann Logo's on thier films?), everytime I just take a print out and observe the print quality and high grade color stock.

More thanX than I can really say, you fine lads!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 11, 2011 12:54 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our trip to the final day of Derann.
We awoke early wondering what lay ahead for what was bound to be an emotional day for many. Travelling down we listened to a radio programme with recollections of 9/11 and we very much had our friends is America in mind today as well.

Arriving at Derann, yes we were first having forgotten the doors opened at 10 and not 9AM we had a wander around the building which had issued so many great 8mm movies and supplied us with unprecedented service over oh so many years. A few minutes later we were joined by a steady trickle of collectors which by 9.45AM was a mass of people which was hearty to see them all lining up around the shop. I think we all wondered what would be in store having heard not a great deal was possibly going to be left. In fact once in the store we were all welcomed by Adrian and the staff along with a ample stock of new 8mm films and used prints, along with all manner of film related items so it did make most of us drool I guess. People travelled from far and wide to support the final day at Derann and yes I and others did get emotional at losing what was for us a great group of people we could almost call family.

People were rapidly sifting the new 8mm prints and used ones with a good number holding and piling films up to chin height such was the enthusiasm for buying from Derann. A selection of 16mm and 8mm projectors were on offer as well with so many other items it would take forever to mention them here, but you could more or less have set up your own home cinema from what was available today and I think one or two may have done just that. Once again it was good to be with like minded film fans as we shared our most precious memories going to Derann, Blackpool and buying from the lists.

Having loaded the car boot we one by one as many did went round thanking all the staff for the pleasure the films had given us, knowing Derann and such friendly people who work there who had looked after us so well, then lastly Adrian for who it must have been a very difficult day. We left the store during the afternoon and glancing over my shoulder people were still buying films which made me smile knowing that the issues Derann have made on 8mm will still be enjoyed for years to come by so many people.

Derann Films will certainly be remembered fondly here and thank you for the opportunity to spend the last day with you all and purchase some more wonderful items.

Darren Payne
Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2011 01:13 PM      Profile for Darren Payne   Email Darren Payne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We made off on our last trip to Derann this morning at 7.00 for the 3 hour drive. It was a day of mixed emotion, the joy of seeing what was on offer (and there was a lot of S 8mm/16mm film), marred with the thought of doing something that will never happen again.

I'd like to thank all at Derann for their hard work and sheer pleasure they have provided over the years since I've been collecting film. To me, It's like losing a relative.

Michael Hyde
Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2011 01:52 PM      Profile for Michael Hyde   Email Michael Hyde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To re-iterate what Lee has said,it was heart warming to see many collectors turn out for the final day,this time around though everything was up for sale,including the settee many of us sat on to view the 3-D T.V. demos etc.and for good humour Adrian even bought down a large pack of toilet rolls.Litterally everthing was up for sale,lets hope some of the members can upload their photos to view.

Adrian Simmonds
Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2011 02:10 PM      Profile for Adrian Simmonds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A quick reply to thank EVERYONE who have supported us over the years - it is appreciated more than you will ever know.

- so sorry, trying to keep this short, as this is very emotional for me, and all of the staff involved I am sure.

Thank you all, for all of the kind words of support and comfort that you given to me personally regarding the closure of Derann - many of you I have literaly grown up with over the years, and as I have said before I do not regard you as custmers, but as friends.

I intend to continue to look in on this forum on a regular basis, and look forward to hearing your views and aspirations regarding this wonderful hobby.

Adrian

Nick Field
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2011 02:17 PM      Profile for Nick Field   Email Nick Field   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was for me an excellent but sad day,the memory of being there on the last day of public sales will stay with me forever,it was truely an honour being there to support the derann gang,I managed to grab a few 16mm features as well as a cir splicer,16mm black leaders,trailer's and a zoom lens for my eiki etc.It will be a huge hole in the 8mm/16mm sales industry but we will carry on. [Smile]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 11, 2011 03:27 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,

Thank you for posting here today. Derann has brought so much joy into our lives. We'll always be grateful to you, your family and your staff for the remarkable service provided by the world's biggest Super 8mm film distributor....Derann Film Services.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 12, 2011 09:01 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, there was a very strong sense that you 'had' to be there but in reality you didn't want to be, because the closure of course meant that it was a deeply depressing occasion - one that you wished had never come. It was immensely sad to see a store that was always a smart and welcoming environment - associated with so many pleasant memories - conspicuously not looking 'right' for obvious reasons. And so sad to see the members of staff that you associate with decades of good service, providing that service on their very last day, as it was confirmed that it was the last day of trading to the public.

As I didn't arrive until about 12.30pm, I wondered if the film dept would be practically bare, but no, despite all the sales that must have happened by then, there were plenty of 8mm films (mostly new 200' releases), plus whole boxes full of 200' silent Disney shorts. I expect the latter were so cheap that I should have bought some just for the reels and boxes. There were also plenty of 16mm features and shorts. And still quite a bit of miscellaneous equipment, splicers, screens, etc. There were boxes of 16mm film hire catalogues, old cinema and film making magazines, and cine camera and projector instruction manuals, and I was very pleased to find one for a Bauer P8 16mm projector I'd obtained recently. There were one or two trays full of box lables for Derann releases, including hundreds of colour ones for the various Disney features - which brought home that they will never be used again. Even the last reels of sticky tape, specially produced for Derann in the sizes required for 8/16mm films, were on sale.

It was not unexpected, but still shocking to hear that equipment such as the sound recording machines that had played a key part in the Derann story, had had to be broken up in order to get some return on their scap metal value.

One relic of the 'golden era' was a large display board with numerous colour photos, just advertising one feature release - I think it was 'There's No Business Like Show Business'. Did anyone see any other unique momentos of this kind sold earlier, and did anyone buy a 'one off' of this kind?

Although the staff could use their discretion and no doubt knocked something off for multiple purchases, the prices of the 16mm features and shorts generally seemed to be unchanged for the day, and the remaining 8mm new stock was at the prices listed on the last newsletter. I suppose this means that one or more dealers had made a reasonable offer to take whatever remained, so there was no drastic cutting with a view to trying to see off everything. I expect we will see much of what remains on offer at Blackpool.

By 3.30pm the film dept was deserted, so I think I can claim to have bought the last film sold by Derann to the general public. It was a Super 8 trailer reel featuring 'Deep Impact' and 'Scream'. Not exactly a legendary release, but I suppose the first title reflects, for enormous numbers of collectors, the part that Derann played in their leisure activities, whilst the second reflects how we feel about the closure!

As others have said, other than helping Derann in their objective to sell as much as possible, the main thing was to have the chance to say goodbye to the staff and to reinforce that in future years, the sadness of this time will fade and hopefully they can take pride in having been a part of a unique and remarkably long-lasting success story.

[ September 12, 2011, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 12, 2011 09:16 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Adrian there were quite a number of Derek’s film display boards around. Some mentioned new releases and others were classic film posters on boards, at a guess around the 20 mark.

Amongst the items purchased I was over the moon to get the old 16mm catalogues and after last nights film screenings sat turning the pages remembering some of the old films within them. Amazing to have..

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2011 09:56 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad to read posts of Derann's closing. Hope all will be well with the staff.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 12, 2011 01:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ThanX 4 that detailed post there Adrian. Many thanX!

--------------------

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2011 01:33 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again will agree it will be a day I will remember for a long long time, thanks for digging out the King Kong poster Lee, I'm looking for a frame for it :-), was great to see so many people there, I certainly put plenty in the Derann coffers. See you all at Blackpool (that includes you too Mr. Brocklehurst), Del.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2011 04:43 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Adrian...really, you felt like you didn't want to be there because it meant the end of an era. Ged said even the coffee maker knew it was the end as it blew up a few days earlier as he'd got it ready to clean.

The morning saw a queue outside the shop with collectors two or three deep around the counters, once the doors had opened. The two GS Xenon machines (as used at Derann's Open Days and also Blackpool...very historic machines) had gone a few weeks earlier. It was all very sad and almost reverently quiet. People were taking films respectfully; there was no grabbing. It was very sombre. Even the gold Rank man with gong was sold and taken down.

I took some Super 8 cine film in my cine cameras and at least 36 colour slides which I'll scan and hopefully upload here. I hope to make some sort of tribute reel to Derann with the footage. I bought up the last of the 8mm wide masking tape that was once used to secure the end of the film to the reel. Ged said Derek liked these "little extras"!

We had a few final laughs with Gary...he said the floor of his car had fallen out, but he'd be keeping it to run around in! The only good point was that both Gary and Steve said they'd probably see us at Blackpool in November.

The end of an era. I can't believe I'll never see Derann's 16 or 8mm list appear in my inbox again.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 13, 2011 03:25 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see you filming on 8mm Simon at the store and also another guy as we left was also spotted outside taking some shots. [Cool]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 13, 2011 10:29 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Simon! We look forward to that!

Funny comment about the coffee maker going bad!

--------------------

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2011 06:40 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....it had to hapen while I was away in Greece for research-double sadness....anyway one final THANK YOU to Adrian and the DERANN staff for their looking after ua all those uears from me and the rest of the Greek collectors down here. Good we'll have Blackpool running,looking forward to it-although knowing it's never gonna be the same again without DERANN.....

--------------------
Yannis

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2011 03:39 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A nice little box arrived in today's mail. Talk about mixed feelings! (What's the old line? Like seeing your mother-in-law drive your Cadillac off a cliff?) I splurged on 4 200' titles (new stock) from the final list. Shipped last Friday, so was that the last or second-to-last day of posting from Derann?

So before off to work, put some treatment on them so they can dry for a day or two before projection, carefully opening the boxes so the cellophane doesn't come off altogether.

We are a bunch of sentimental old saps, yes? Or just people who are grateful for quality.

Thanks Adrian, Ged, and Gary, it's been a great experience, and I wish you very well.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC