8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Closure of Derann and London convention?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Closure of Derann and London convention?
Brian James
Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2011 04:15 PM      Profile for Brian James     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that we are still getting over the news about closure
of Derann are we likely to see a London convention next May?

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 21, 2011 05:49 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If we do, it'll have to be a joint effort on the part of the assorted film sellers joining together to make it an event.

Though the assorted film sellers will happily have booths and such at the conventions, it was really due to the efforts of the Derann crew, (or am I wrong?).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 22, 2011 02:32 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Though the assorted film sellers will happily have booths and such at the conventions, it was really due to the efforts of the Derann crew, (or am I wrong?).

I was under the impression that Messrs. Wilton and Clancy had something to do with it [Smile]

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2011 04:48 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
London Convention is organised by Keith Wilton and John Clancw (with the help of many others).

Derann organised the Northern Film Collectors Convention held each year in Blackpool in November

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2011 05:12 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is can Keith still hold The BFCC at Ruislip without Derann given the cost of the premises. Are there enough other dealers to fill up those empty spaces because Keith cant run it there if he is making a loss. If Keith wants to keep it at ruislip he can always save money by leaving those 2 smaller rooms in a seperate building, and just have the main room and cinema and try to squease every dealer in there, though that may be a bit tight with the bring and buy stall.

Either that or he looks for cheaper premises or raises the ticket price to cover losing derann.

Also not having Derann might lower the attendance a bit, but it wont stop me coming.

Graham S

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 22, 2011 06:30 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me neither, Graham.
I certainly hope this is not going to be the case, and that Keith will still go ahead next May, even though Derann were obviously the premiere dealers at the event. The main problem, as I see it, is that a lot of collectors just don't use the internet, and relied on Film for the Collector for all the latest news of the hobby, and without that magazine to boost their interest they might just stop going to the BFCC. Are there any other collectors mags in the UK that can step up their game and pick up the slack left by FFTC?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2011 06:41 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,
There are two magazines that I know of.
'Flickers' which usually covers the very early years of cinema and 'Projections' which covers all aspects of home cinema, both film and digital.
Both are smaller than FFTC but are lively and good value.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 22, 2011 07:16 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the Ruislip venue so I'd suggest - if possible - cutting costs by dispensing with the extra rooms and packing everything into the main dealers room, which should be feasible. Maybe one or two stalls could be in the foyer area?

I can recommend 'Projections', which does have reviews of new releases when possible. In fact an influx of film collector subscribers would be great as it would encourage more film-orientated content. But with the end of FFTC, it would be nice if 'Super 8 Film Review' (which started as a separate publication) could survive, even if it was only produced a couple of times a year.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2011 10:44 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this means the BFCC can move to October which will suit me much better. Adrian's thinking along the same lines with regards to just the one dealer room but that's all down to Keith. Unfortunately nothing can go in the foyer as that is a fire exit and rules at Ruislip are strictly enforced. This means if Keith does do another event and anyone parks on the grass, it's most likely finished.

Losing Derann is a terrible shame even though it came as no surprise. It won't affect the finances of the BFCC greatly so I don't think it will change anything in that regard. I'll speak to Keith when I'm back in the country (currently filming in California).

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Joe McAllister
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2011 09:52 AM      Profile for Joe McAllister   Email Joe McAllister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 9.5mm group holds two events a year one in Chelsea, the spring fair April ish, and the convention in Harpenden in September. There is also a bi yearly Film Fun Day in Rickmansworth just North of London. Collectors concerned at the loss of events might consider supporting these meetings and picking up a few bargains.

--------------------
Always interested in privately produced amateur and home movies.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 23, 2011 10:21 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your probably right Micheal, I just assumed that DErann was at the forefront of many of these conventions/events.

If others were actually responsible for these events then they should continue on without abate!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2011 03:24 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, please stop by a say hi while you're out here!

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2011 06:26 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, have a look here at the history section...

http://www.bfcc.biz/index.html

All will become clear [Wink] !

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC