8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Good News About Blackpool (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Good News About Blackpool
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2011 07:09 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As we are all catching our breath following Derann's sad announcement, here's some good news. David Guest has spoken with Adrian from Derann and is going to take on The Blackpool Convention. This will run on 13th November at The Cliffs Hotel, Blackpool, from 10am. Entry is £3.50 and stalls £40 or two for £70. David can be contacted on 0793 192 6550 or email dwgdodgems @hotmail .co. uk

|  IP: Logged

Colin Auty
Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2011 07:30 AM      Profile for Colin Auty   Email Colin Auty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great news,David has organised film events before at the Cliffs Hotel which I have supported .

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 22, 2011 08:16 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All hail King David!!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 22, 2011 08:32 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I aoppreciate there won't be organised accommodation or a Saturday dinner, but any news on whether DG plans to incorporate any Blackpool traditions like the auction or film shows?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2011 09:13 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There will be a bring & buy. There will be a prize draw with a 16mm feature as the prize. David will be asking Blackpool regular Blackpool projectionist Bob Nichols, tonight, if he can do a film show. More details as they are available.

I asked David about a dinner in future years and he said this is a possibilty, if it proved worthwhile.

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2011 03:08 PM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic news, Dominc and myself will be attending.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 22, 2011 03:08 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect there may be some collectors who will not be as overjoyed by this news.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2011 03:15 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, they shouldn't come... leaving us to thoroughly enjoy ourselves at this time honoured event.

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2011 03:48 PM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just heard from David, 14 dealers booked in up to now tony hutchinsoon will be attending.
Made my booking for the Cliffs Hotel for the Saturday and Sunday nights. Get in quick only twin, doubles and tripple rooms left.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2011 03:55 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have booked in...only £61 for dinner, bed & breakfast!

Nick Field
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2011 04:13 PM      Profile for Nick Field   Email Nick Field   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shall be attending too.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 22, 2011 08:53 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats good about your Blackpool convention...but here is a thought [Roll Eyes] and it would be nice to invite Adrian and members of the Derann staff to attend as guest speakers, even add a AV presentation as well, of the many years of Derann films.....put your thinking caps on gents [Smile]

Graham. [Smile]

William Fleming
Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2011 03:10 AM      Profile for William Fleming   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yippeeee!! This is great news i will be there [Smile]

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2011 05:47 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DEFFO going to Blackpool if there's such a thing-we all MUST support it!...

--------------------
Yannis

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 24, 2011 03:47 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every success to David and the future of the convention.
A few super 8 collectors were also getting together and considering speaking to Adrian I know with a view to picking up the task to secure the events future, but it is great to hear its long term future has been secured very quickly. I do hope he has the time available for it all what with his fairground ride business and all.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2011 06:24 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Count about another 4-5 of us in for this! [Smile]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 25, 2011 03:27 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really pleased to hear from Mr Guest that dealers are booking dealer tables very quickly now and from what I hear the only thing left from ‘team David’ to organise is the auction. Any dealers not already booked in better get a finger out a bit sharp to secure a table. Well done to David and the team along with Derann who have sorted the events future. Top marks!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 25, 2011 09:29 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pleased that there will be a Blackpool event this year and I'll certainly support it. In the circumstances, fast action was needed, so credit to David Guest for taking the initiative. I note from the marketing on eBay (text from this copied below) that the event is being advertised in a similar way to DG's former 'Film Fairs' that took place at the Cliffs hotel in March, and my guess would be that even if Adrian Simmonds was happy to pass on 'ownership' of the Northern Film Collectors Convention name, DG was reluctant to use it this year, as it would imply elements such as the Saturday night dinner and hotel accommodation, that he could not be expected to take on, parrticularly with less than 3 months to go.

However, seeing Lee's remark about collectors having talked about taking steps to save the event, I hope there could be scope next year for keen collectors to actively get involved and support DG by enhancing the event in various ways. If this helped make it possible to restore the dinner, accommodation and auction (if this doesn't happen this year), it would be great if 2012 could be the 35th Northern Film Collectors Convention, bringing this prestigious title back to life! I think that greater collaboration involving keen collectors/dealers could be a key element of keeping the convention alive, as collectors can povide a range of ideas and skills, and broadly seemed to agree that (e.g.) the celebrity guests had been successful element of the event that had proved a significant loss. If Richard Read (who successfully organised the celbrity input in fairly recent years, before Derann decided to do it themselves) could be enticed back, that could boost the event, and it would also be good to see the sort of marketing initiatives that took place when Dave Prowse attended and the Star Wars theme was developed, along with more in the way of memorabilia stalls. If DG would be open to this sort of collaboration - which surely could help to boost the attendance - it might be an idea for anyone interested in putting forward suggestions and/or getting involved to meet up for a meal or chat at Blackpool this year.

Promotion on eBay:

50 plus 16mm sound feature films, projecters, and super 8 films all for sale at
NORTHWEST FILM FAIR CONVENTION 13th NOVENBER 2011
WHERE THERE WILL BE LOTS OF STALLS SELLING FILMS PROJECTERS AND ACCESORIES
CLIFFS HOTEL BLACKPOOL
STARTS 10AM 13th NOVEMBER 2011
ADMISSION £3.50 PER PERSON
PLEASE NOTE YOU ARE BIDDING FOR A TICKET TO ATTEND THIS EVENT OR PAY ON THE DAY
THIS EVENT IS REPLACNG DERRANS EVENT WHICH WAS TO BE HELD AT SAVOY HOTEL WHICH HAS NOW BEEN CANCELLED
DONT MISS IT
any questions email me

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2011 10:11 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to chat, at this year's Blackpool, about organising a dinner next year. I am staying over at The Cliffs Hotel on the Saturday night, so are a few others I believe. We could sit down then, with David Guest, to sort things for 2012, God Willing of course.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 25, 2011 02:11 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

"Please note you are bidding for a ticket to attend this event this year or pay on the day"

Why do you need to bid for a ticket to attend?? [Roll Eyes]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 05, 2011 05:25 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hats off to you all Simon!
Incidentally, there have been some great improvements to Blackpool taking place this year including work on the promenade, the tower and so much more to see. All this is good news for Blackpool and also anyone visiting it. [Smile]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2011 05:58 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I filmed the opening of the new look tower last Thursday!

There is a 4D film show (4D! Rain and snow included!) and the views from the top of the tower are great. A must do if you're spending a couple of days there for the film event.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 05, 2011 03:21 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also thought a visit to the refurbished Tower is a must, but the website indicates that the weekend of 11-13 November is one of the few times it's closed! Anyone still around on the Monday can go then, though.
Note that some Blackpool attractions are significantly less expensive if you book online in advance, via:
http://www.theblackpooltower.com/

At least the trams will be running (in November) for the first time in at least 3 years!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2011 04:00 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There will be an auction, plus BBC local news will be there, according to David. He's also trying to get a personality to attend.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 12, 2011 09:00 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All seems to be going well with some collectors also staying just over the road from the Cliffs at THE CROYDON HOTEL 12 Empress Drive. Double/Twin Rooms £50 (£25 each) inc full breakfast,en-Suite,sun lounge, free car park & bar.
Tel: 01253 352497 Award winning hotel and a good alternative if you are watching the pennies but would love to stay over prior to going to the Cliffs main event.

With the number of dealers/traders already booked it sounds like it will be a great movie event with plenty of choice on the big day.. [Cool]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC