8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Attentions "audio philes"!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Attentions "audio philes"!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 22, 2011 12:41 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all my mixing and such, you would think I would know more about this subject, but I don't.

I finished my first album and made the decision to make the songs into hi-grade Mp3 files. This was at first so that those who would order the album could in fact order it over the internet, downloading the whole album.

However, having listened to these Mp3 files over and over, there is an annoying high end "hiss" to the files, that is not on the Mini-disc masters that they were taken from.

I have come to the conclusion that, though it will take a good deal longer to produce the albums, I will do each and everyone on this CD burner I bought in the late 90's. I will make a master CD off the Minidisc files, (as they have no or very little tape hiss from the master mix) and then make the CD copies from that audio disc.

I'm curious as to your opinions gentlemen when it comes to Mp3 and the amount of Hiss it adds to recordings? Could the problem be merely a lousy Mp3 playback unit in my PC or what?

I mean, i understand that there is always a lessoning of quality when you "shrink down" your audio, but I wasn't expecting that much.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Nick Field
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2011 01:52 PM      Profile for Nick Field   Email Nick Field   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you could always try upting the bit rate of the mp3 format maybe?

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2011 01:56 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A steady hiss is not a problem from an mp3 format. You can confirm that by trying to play the file elsewhere. Now, if the hiss is a distortion that pumps along with the volume of the audio, well, that is part of mp3 until you get to really high bitrates.

Ever heard of LAME? I tried it once and sibilance, drums, and cymbals came out better.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC