8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Digital Film Re-issues (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Digital Film Re-issues
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 05, 2011 01:24 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's just my opinion, but I think that the reason why ET didn't do well was for two reasons upon re-issue ...

1. Sadly, audiences are more jaded today and a lovely simplistic story like ET just doesn't play well. Now, give ET a laser cannon blasting everything on the planet and it would have done well.

2. If I remember correctly, it wasn't the ET we grew up withy. Spielberg, in order to make his film more "family friendly" took out such "horrifying elements" (that is sarcasm there) as the police forces guns and such out of this and that shot. Other subtle changes were made as well.

Good heavens, could you imagine just how terrible it would be if Disney re-released "Song of the South" to modern audiences?

They's probably have Whoopie GOldgerg popping up every two or so minutes giving some idiotic speech about "this was a product of the times, don't hate Disney Don't hate Disney!"

Whew, I'm glad I was actually able to find that original version of fantasia on super 8! Black centaurs and all!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Nick Field
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2011 01:25 PM      Profile for Nick Field   Email Nick Field   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine,his girl friend works at our local odeon cinema,only a single screener,he said that they are now waiting for a new digi projector, I jokingly asked him if they wanted to sell their 35mm, he replied that they are still going to run the 35mm along side the digi as the kids cartoons they show on the weekend mornings are on 35mm.Our town has plans to build a multiplex odeon within two years so the old place will be closed down anyway. I see that there will be also a re-make of total recal,won't be the same without the carolco ident at the start and Arnie with the usual catchfrases,planty of cgi non the less,probably make a 3D version too knowing this silly run of 3D rubbish that's hit us over the past couple of years. [Roll Eyes]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 05, 2011 11:14 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian
The push to go digital out here is big. A major film distributor has already stated that they will only garantee film prints for another two years, after that, if you have not done the expensive switch to digital then you are on your own. Its not a matter what we want, I would like to see film go on forever, but it aint. A few years ago we talked about digital cinema as if it was in the future, well that future is here. The film companys wanted rid of film long ago, its expensive to produce and I guess to get rid of after the film has done the cinema run, with this green clean world that we live in, I am afraid its gotta go [Frown]

Graham.

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2011 02:11 AM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here in Belgium. Some releases already are 'digital only'. And even some wide releases like Cars 2 this summer, only had a handful of 35mm prints. At this rate we expect 35mm to disappear out of commercial theatres within the next 6 months. Sad but true...

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 13, 2011 02:56 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wrote to the Cinema chain which screened Phantom live complete with German subtitles and have now heard back after they investigated it. The Digital Cinema apparently had been supplied with the wrong satellite link via Germany thus the German subtitles on screen for the entire presentation.

Although digitally deflated after our recent Cinema visits we found a small and relatively new independent Cinema who was showing a film we wanted to see. The foyer was like one of the old Cinemas complete with a lady in the little cubicle welcoming us to the 2 screen experience and the evening tickets costing a few pence over £5. Further down the line a young chap also welcomed us to the Cinema as we perused the movie posters and DVD sale area, then he mentioned they were all Digital at which point I thought here we go again. Amazingly the presentation was very good indeed and without a fault throughout and they even had curtains! We left having had a superb experience and thanked the staff for a wonderful evening with a very good presentation. Let’s hope the big chain can soon do as good a job sometime soon.
 -

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 13, 2011 01:03 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of Film vs Digital, some of you may find this of interest:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2011/oct/10/steven-spielberg-martin-scorsese-celluloid

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC