8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Star Wars 3D

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star Wars 3D
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 13, 2011 03:27 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it looks like Star Wars Phantom Menace is getting the 3D makeover and due in our Cinemas Feb 2012 and I wonder if Mr Lucas will 3D the whole series?

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 13, 2011 04:58 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All 6 films should be rereleased in 3D, one per year :

Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones

Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith

Star Wars: A New Hope

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2011 07:20 AM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just found out about this last night, and it saddens me beyond belief. It all about money. It is only the birth of every classic film as we know it being reissued in 3D. I wish 3D would go away. It was fun as a gimmick once in a while. I love the idea of these films being reissued to the big screen don't get me wrong! Star Wars came out 35 years ago next year. In honor of that bring it back, and make it look as great as you can without messing it up.

I can just see films like Casablanca, The Wizard Of Oz, and Gone With The Wind being next. We should preserve our classic films, and be proud of them for what they are. Its moments like this, that I'm glad I do a weekly film series on reel film, which is the way it was, and always will be. Kids who come are very interested to check out the projectors that I use etc. People don't know how to to go and enjoy a simple fun night at the movies anymore. People like George Lucas should know better.

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2011 10:25 AM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remaking a film in 3-D that was shot with single-camera perspectives does not make sense to me. You need a stereo pair of cameras to get a true 3-D effect. I will not watch these rereleases. This is just as bad as colorizing a B&W film, maybe worse. I'll only forgive Lucas for this if he finally releases the original films on DVD & Blu-Ray at the same time as his latest versions.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2011 10:43 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad that Lee used the word "makeover", because that is all it can be!
And John, of course, is TOTALLY right!
It is NOT possible to create TRUE stereoscopic films from a single "flat" image. To create a realistic 3 dimensional image it is necessary to record two DIFFERENT viewpoints of the subject matter at the same point in time and present those two viewpoints in perfect synchronism at the point of exhibition.
Anything LESS than that can only create a crude pastiche of the depth of the scene.
It is true that one can create true stereo images of a static subject by moving the camera laterally and suitably aligning two positive prints from the record. This can be made to work with a MOVING picture of a STATIC subject by tracking the camera laterally, but if there is ANY movement of a element within that STATIC scene that element will not resolve as a stereoscopic object satisfactorily.
If anyone out there thinks it is possible, I suggest they study the subject in depth (no pun intended!)and then try to explain how to make a one-eyed man see stereoscopically.!

IF the studios can find the original two strip negatives(or "under over" or "side by side" ones made from them) or positive prints of the movies PROPERLY made then we can look forward to some genuine "3-D" presentations on disc, TV or cinema screen. If, also the studios can be persuaded to make new films PROPERLY in the future then we will be spared the digital jiggery-pokery that is currently being dished up for "3-D".
NOTE: If IMAX can produce genuine "3-D", then there is nothing to stop others doing it if they are prepared to do it

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2011 11:56 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't stand how nearly films today are in 3-D. I wear glasses and there's nothing more intrusive than having to put glasses on top of glasses. Not to mention that it completely wipes out my willing suspension of disbelief when throughout the entire movie I'm analyzing the stereoscopic effects. Let this be a quick fad and be done with it already.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 06, 2011 01:26 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I domn't know if it was an authorized 3D test, but I watched a 3D sample of the first 15 or so minutes of Revenge of the Sith, that whole space battle sequences and I must say, I was impressed.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 06, 2011 03:41 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why this topic is not in "General Yak"?

Doug....moderator?

--------------------
Winbert

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2011 03:56 PM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally,I've not been impressed with post production 3D releases,

Just my pennies worth

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 06, 2011 04:18 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm tired of 3D!

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2011 04:50 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen one of these new 3D movies yet but if I do it will not be something like Star Wars that was made 3D in post production. It would have to be one that was shot with a 3D camera. I know my wife wont like it, it will make her dizzy or give her a headache. For now I will limit my 3D to my View-Master projector until something really good comes out. [Big Grin]

David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2011 11:34 PM      Profile for David M. Ballew   Email David M. Ballew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to respectfully respond to some of your comments, which I have read and considered with great interest.

You need a stereo pair of cameras to get a true 3-D effect.

Nowadays, this is not necessarily true. Some really amazing work is being done to synthesize stereo imagery from existing flat films. And those doing the work are making great strides, improving their results day by day. But making a proper job of it takes time and money, two things American movie studios simply aren’t willing to lavish on every project.

I myself doubt whether Casablanca, The Wizard of Oz, or Gone With the Wind will be converted to stereo anytime in the near future, as I should think the young moviegoers most interested in 3-D are not likely to embrace films (and film techniques) of a bygone era. I don’t say I’m pleased about that, but it’s a fact of life.

Let this be a quick fad and be done with it already.

Some folks date the current 3-D boom from the release of The Polar Express in 3-D IMAX in November 2004. Others date it from the release of Chicken Little in November 2005, which marked the debut of Real-D 3-D projection. Depending on which of those dates you prefer, the current spate of 3-D production has run six or seven years at this writing, with no end in sight.

Compare all that to the 3-D boom of the early 1950s, which (arguably) ran from November 1952, with the release of Bwana Devil, to June 1954, with the release of Gog. That’s about 19 months. Even if we wish to claim an end to the 1950s wave of 3-D with the release of Revenge of the Creature in May 1955 (a lone 3-D release from Universal long after the other studios had altogether given up on the format), that comes to only two and a half years of 3-D production. Unlike the so-called 3-D Renaissance of the early '50s, our current spate of 3-D filmmaking cannot by any stretch be considered a quick fad.

It may already be obvious, but let me state explicitly and respectfully that I am very much in favor of stereoscopic 3-D films. This is a revolution that has been a long time in coming, and come it must. It is the next logical step in the progression of cinema.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2011 12:15 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll only forgive Lucas for this if he finally releases the original films on DVD & Blu-Ray at the same time as his latest versions.
Don't hold your breath for those. I seriously doubt you will EVER see the original versions again. The director in question has threatened lawsuits if anyone plays those versions, He has attempted to remove them from archives, and (correct me if I am wrong) he has never released the original versions in any form since he started "making them over" to this point. My guess is you better hold on to the already remade versions as once they become 3-D he probably won't go back...

At least Spielberg recently admitted he did a bad thing by messing with ET for its re-release. Mr StarWars thinks he is doing us all a favor by constantly improving them with these makeovers...

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2011 12:44 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The originals were released on DVD but look at the prices. They are now discontinued.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Trilogy-Widescreen-Theatrical/dp/B001EN71DG/ref=sr_1_6?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1323239689&sr=1-6

Laserdiscs of the originals are still available are reasonable prices.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2011 01:50 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, I never knew that...as I only have the terd versions on DVD, I guess I should have kept an eye out better..

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2011 06:43 AM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even Though Lucas did release the originals a while back before he screwed them up, maybe he should've taken a lesson from spielberg, on how he admitted to screwing up ET. Not only will I avoid these new 3D versions, I have lost a lot of respect for George Lucas. I just read this morning from yesterday's New York Times a great review of the new film The Artist. The article is titled Silence Is Golden.

I find it even more of a crime, and a shame that Lucas will sue anyone that shows in the theaters the original versions. You would think being a film maker, and a artist, that he would respect peoples choice for what they prefer to see of his work. Not everyone is on this 3D band wagon. It should have gone out in the 50's and 60's as the novelty that is was.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC