8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » STAR WARS Rebel Assault 2 (PC game)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STAR WARS Rebel Assault 2 (PC game)
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 14, 2012 12:43 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was diggin through an old box of mine (actually looking for films) and found this 2CD PC game from way back in 1995! So, I decided to put it in and play some of it.

I'm still rather impressed with this game. Of course, it looks archaic compared to what is put out for free these days on the internet, but this game was definitely advanced for it's time and is still a fun game to this day.

Lucas had his team film brand new footage with Darth Vader and officers in the Empire, as well as a lot of special effects footage (space ships and such) just for this game, and it is a rollicking good play!

Just thought I'd mention it! Fun Retro! ThanX Lucas!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2012 12:53 PM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On of my favorites! I still have my Playstation copy!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 15, 2012 03:46 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sons loved Rebel Assault. When they weren't looking I'd always sneak in a game or two myself. It was pretty challenging and I agree Osi...I remember the graphics being very impressive even for today's standards.

-

[ February 16, 2012, 02:37 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 15, 2012 04:26 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also had that game. It definately was ahead if it's time. But then, George Lucas always was ! [Smile]

Phil Lilley
Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2012 02:21 AM      Profile for Phil Lilley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man alive...that takes me back! Back to the good old days where games were simple and about the gameplay.

I've been engrossed in SW The Old Republic since Dec. One end of the evolutionary scale to the other. [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 16, 2012 12:59 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, I must have lucked out! My edition of it is a picture disc version, with the illustrations from the CD-rom case. My version is also from 1995. Is your version a two disc version?

The nice thing about it is, even with my totally screwing me new VISTA system, I can play ir right from the CD. I can only imagine just how good it would look if my opengl renderer and such were working as they should.

The special effects shots (space battles and such) are awesome, they really aspared no expense on this game. I in fact like it better than many of the Star Wars games that followed, though they have better graphics

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 16, 2012 02:30 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi...The disk I scanned is the original Rebel Assault 1. My son said we have version 2 also...but he always liked 1 better. I'll have to keep digging around to see if I can come up with the other disc [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 06, 2012 12:19 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look what I found Osi [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] I was looking for something else, when I uncovered this...

-

[ April 06, 2012, 04:21 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 06, 2012 12:48 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep! That's the one I have!

I was actually playing this just the other day, so what a coincidence! I love how they put a good deal of care into the spaceship scenes. It would be a great idea for Lucasfilms to launch a "retro" line of thier classic games and re-release this, except with a modern loevel of resolution with these same graphics, live action footage, ect. It would most certainly sell.

On another note, I have always felt that way about the "Mark Hamill" "Wing Commander" games! I'd love to know who owns the rights to the original live action footage, as, they could take that footage and then make brand new CGI footage and at least, release this as a direct to video DVD as a good cohesive storyline. Once again, retro geeks would die for it! (and Mark Hamill looks cool in that "grizzled" looking role!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC