8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Passing Years (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Passing Years
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 05, 2012 06:24 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other night our past "like me" projectionist and now doing an electrical apprentiship paid us a visit. Keen to show of that I am not completely senile [Smile] "not yet" I showed him my latest DIY 36v 400watt more light on the screen project. I was pleased that he could not quickly figure it out, so yours truly had to explain things [Smile] anyway, he asked about an old turntable that was sitting nearby "had never seen one going" so I put on a LP. He looked at this thing and asked, how does it work?. [Confused] I said it uses a needle which runs in a groove....WOW....thats amazing was the reply, got a flashlight "torch" and watched it going round and round. [Roll Eyes] Anyway, later I asked my 6 year old grandaughter if she new what a record player was and without hesitation she replied... YES...its what you put your films on [Big Grin]

Well, I started thinking [Roll Eyes] that there is a good chance that anyone born from the early 1990s on, would never have seen a record player going, as by that time most stores had moved into CD sales and records into history.

With ever changing technology, its easy to forget the past and I hope one day, that like the record player etc, film and film projectors will still find a place to run eg "working" museum more so than at present to offer a glimpse into a past technology that so many have never seen.

PS. Might be a good job for...me.

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC