8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » STAR WARS trilogy ... laserdisc

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STAR WARS trilogy ... laserdisc
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 20, 2012 01:23 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320872285207?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I have up the very first letterboxed widescreen issue of the original STAR WARS trilogy. These were 2 discs each, in those fold out jackets, with the original movie poster artwork on the sleeves.

The sleeves have some wear, (scuffing) but the discs are as near pristine as you could ask for. These are of interest in that these are the pre-"tinkering" of Lucas. No re-coloring, no extra special effects.

The beginning bid price is certainly reasonable and even the "Buy it Now" is pretty good as well.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2012 02:48 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, That is a good price. I sold mine for about the same. One suggestion, if I may. You should add the word LASERDISC or LD to your title in case someone is searching for that format specifically. A widescreen "Star Wars" trilogy could be VHS, LD, or DVD. It could even be S8 or 16mm, for that matter.

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Nicholas Cook
Junior

- posted March 20, 2012 03:45 PM      Profile for Nicholas Cook   Email Nicholas Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it is in the Laserdisc section

But I suppose if one was to search for "star wars laserdisc" it wouldn't come up

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 21, 2012 01:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Chris, I'll change that.

Update!

All fixed now!

[Smile]

--------------------

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2012 03:27 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it is worth, I personally like this set better than the Definitive Collection. When I played them using my digital projector, for some reason, the picture is a LOT larger with the original discs vs. the Definitive Collection set.

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 22, 2012 01:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I found that same. I have an older model "Sharpvision" projection TV, that was made during the age of laserdisc, (right before DVD really took off) which, for it's time, had the sharpest and fullest line of resolution you could get on projection TV ...

This old laserdisc set (and the other laserdisc sets), actually look better than they're counterpart DVD's of the same subjects.

The reason why? My theory ...

On a laserdisc, each and every frame, and all information in said frame of film, is captured on a laserdisc. That mean, all the grain ect.

On DVD, (and Blu-ray, quite aften, as well), to save storage space in that smaller format, if you have a still shot, (that is, a shot where, lets say, someone sits under a tree, and there is no movement), the DVD or Blu-ray, will then almost approach a "freeze frame" quality. It will basically, until some movement happen in the frame, give you a still. THis is not the case with all DVD's or Blu-rays, but it does happen, and more often, in the older DVD's for sure.

However, as stated earlier, the laserdisc would capture ALL information in every frame, all film grain, imperfections, ect.

Therefore, the laserdisc looks better on that projection TV than the DVD, as the projection still has a film look, instead of a still shot look.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC