8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Hunger Games (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: The Hunger Games
Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 01, 2012 02:58 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you actually seen "The Rose", Hugh? Don't discuss it or, indeed, music in general unless you have, sir.
[Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Stuart Fyvie
Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2012 03:00 PM      Profile for Stuart Fyvie   Email Stuart Fyvie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Hugh as to being 'Off Topic' ...some of your replies have mentioned amongst others: Mary Whitehouse, Bill Grundy and the Sex Pistols, Alco-pops, Golan-Globus & The Cannon Group, Pedophilia, freak shows, Women staging fights and filming them,wrestling in America, child sex (again), Jamie Bulger, sex education to illiterate children.... gosh no wonder its hard to keep up. (I do however grant you that you seem to have excellent taste in your film choices. ) I still stand by the opinion that you cannot judge a film until you have actually seen it. I can't stand 'Mama Mia' but at least I endured all 1hour and 44 minutes of it to come to that conclusion.

Stuart

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2012 03:08 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Japanese film is called Battle Royale from 2000. I have the rented DVD here, but have not had a chance to watch it yet. I am curious how much, or little, Hunger Games borrowed from it.

I grew up watching the 3 Stooges from way before my teenage years, and again speaking only for myself, never once though poking somebody in the eyes for real would be funny and not harmful. However, it was funny when the Stooges did it on film. I grew up watching the Road Runner drop anvils on the Coyote from the time I was a toddler, but never once believed that was real, and never had the urge to drop something heavy on someones head as a result.

The Jamie Bulger case made the news all the way over here in the USA. Yes, children occasionally do kill other children, sometimes purposely and without remorse. The Jamie Bulger case kind of proves my point of bad being the exception, as it happened well before the Hunger Games book/movie.

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2012 03:15 PM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All
I have just got back from seeing this and would urge you all to read Mitchell's earlier post as its bang on as far as I'm concerned.Overhyped,will I never learn,I felt the same after The Excorcist

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 01, 2012 03:24 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its interesting how the human mind can be manipulated. I remember making a Super8 home movie at work where the boss and one other were playing darts at morning tea break. I filmed this event and afterwards I went to the clock and by winding the hands took more film of the different times of the day. When I sat down to the editor I cut everything in a way that it came across that we spent all day doing nothing else clock ..darts...clock..darts..and so on.

When I showed the film to by boss and the staff they thought it was good, however I was told if I let the manager see it I would be killed [Smile] ...The hole thing was a lie but others watching it would more than likely believe what was being shown as taken in real time which of course it wasen't

Its called "manipulatation" and it can be a dangerous thing "The Hunger Game" may have had things trimmed back "more tickets more money" for the people that made it, but the main story/ the idea being planted in minds is still there and with very young children I dont think its right. As far as "The Hunger Game", fine screen it but for so called mature audience's only . Remember "Jaws" when it came out, it wasen't real and we all new that, but did you go surfing or swimming at the beach the next day without the boom..boom... music going through your mind eh!? and the flow on effect for the poor sharks is still happening today all because of a movie. [Roll Eyes] Although we hardly ever saw the shark John Williams music controlled our minds big time, the seed was planted in our wee brains.

There is no doubt "explotation and manipulation" is everywhere in society and some of it is nasty stuff and for the most part we just dont see it and movies are part of that as well. There is nothing wrong with being manipulated to a point, we all cheer the good and boo the bad, but be carefull with the subject matter. The young bullit proof know it all teenager are for the most part, who according to my wife and she is an expert in everything, says the male mind only matures at around 25 years old, five years older than a female...so there you have it [Wink]

Graham.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 01, 2012 03:25 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,I second that motion.I'm still laughing.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2012 03:27 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no, see, I love The Exorcist!

And I actually don't mind Mama Mia...for real [Razz]

Although, to be honest, I've never actually seen The Rose.

Right, I'm ordering the DVD right now...

What a great post this has been. [Smile]

And Graham...Jaws not real??? I saw it when I was 10 and was afraid of even the bath tub for months after! [Big Grin]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 01, 2012 03:32 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael.I have seen the film and it's an experience I wouldn't want to repeat.As for music.I think I know what I like and someone screaming down a microphone doesn't cut it.

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2012 04:11 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We were discussing the killing of children by other
children,I just gave an example,as for what that has to do with Mitchell's post,try the bit about us underestimating children

So if they didn’t “underestimate” what these children were capable of these murders wouldn’t have happened?

You’re are taking a solitary incident and using it as a yardstick to measure all children with.
There is a much larger picture that would need addressing there.

I think psychologists who studied this case might have looked much deeper for an answer other than a statement like “ we underestimated those children”

I took Stuarts Shakespeare reference as, violence from today can easily be interchanged with violence from the past.
Correct me if I’m wrong Stuart.

I think we are actually more civilized today than ever before.
Or maybe I’m just kidding myself, I'm just happy I don’t have to deal with that pesky Inquisition.

Terry

Hey, I loved some of that punk rock screaming,
also love Dean Martin...........darn gone off topic again!

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2012 04:15 PM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,I feel your wife is right,only today as I looked at my naked body in the mirror, I thought to myself:"I'm going to get thrown out of Ikea in a minute."............ [Embarrassed] )

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 01, 2012 04:26 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs Ritchie sounds a very astute woman Graham,wouldn't it be
nice to be 25 again.

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2012 04:39 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Post 200!
Yes exciting for me.

Took long enough!

I wonder, if we had been all been able to have this discussion over a pint at the local pub.
Would we have been asked to "KEEP IT DOWN"!
Cheers
Terry

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 03, 2012 03:58 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly a day after the last posting,a young boy in the UK has just
beaten his Mother to death with a claw hammer.The police have
found he was influenced by a serial killer on a TV soap opera
On checking his computer there were downloads of various
horror films including the "SAW" films.If that doesn't prove my
point that children shouldn't be exposed to this rubbish,then
nothing will,and that's my final word on the subject.

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2012 03:12 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one here is saying children should be exposed to this "rubbish" as you call it. I think we can all agree on that.

My mother told me I could watch "R" rated movies unsupervised when I was 13. That's because they knew I was mature enough.

From then on, I watched the goriest, most violent movies I could get my hands on. Between cable and rentals, my teen movie watching years were pretty blood soaked! LOL.

I never had "evil" thoughts. I was often cited by teachers as the single nicest student they ever had. Today, I am still a kind, polite person.

There's a good reason for all this. My parents were NOT my friends. They actually parented me. Kept tabs on what I watched, watched adult themed shows/movies with me, discussed such material with me, etc.

Therefore, even at a young age, I was emotionally and mentally mature enough to handle such entertainment on my own.

It's not a simple case of black or white. It never is. Children who kill children/adults never do it "'cause I wanted to" no matter what they say. That's been proven time and again.

It's too easy to blame movies, books and other material for the horrors of the world. Such horrors existed long before the filmed and written word. You can easily find "children killing children/adults" examples dating as far back as human history will allow.

Giving an "R" rating to every movie with "adult themes" would only make the material more appealing. If a kid wants to see something that's forbidden, they WILL find a way.

Not to mention that once the material hits home video, all restrictions are off.

Best to watch with them and make sure they understand what the movie is about.

It's called PARENTING. Something we need more of these days.

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2012 03:39 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas,

Very well put. The idea of giving kids the right emotional "backbone" to understand things has long since become the exception rather than the rule.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2012 04:20 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> On checking his computer there were downloads of various horror films including the "SAW" films.If that doesn't prove my point that children shouldn't be exposed to this rubbish,then nothing will,and that's my final word on the subject.

The only point that proves is one child who had mentally and/or maturity issues was allowed to watch violent entertainment by his parents before he was ready. Your post, and possibly the police, are making an assumption that the horror films caused violent behavior rather than the deficiencies with the child, an assumption not widely backed by facts.

I suspect that rather than the horror films, it was the computer's operating system the influenced the child to kill. I know Windows sometimes drives me crazy! Seriously, these kind of crimes occasionally happened long before violent movies became mainstream, and people are always looking to blame outside influences.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 04, 2012 01:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually starting to get bored here ...

or is that "gored"?

Hah! awww, Ok, I just couldn't help myself. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2012 01:32 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mitchell,
"The only point that proves is one child who had mentally and/or maturity issues was allowed to watch violent entertainment by his parents before he was ready."

Spot on, but are you also saying that there are NOT many others out there with similar problems... or have we found the ONE such
child in the world?
And then you add...."Your post, and possibly the police, are making an assumption that the horror films caused violent behavior rather than the deficiencies with the child, an assumption not widely backed by facts".

You assessment therefore of this situation is that the boy in question killed his mother with multiple blows to the head with a hammer NOT because he was copying the graphic footage from one of our Soaps (which was found on his computer), but that his putting the items on his computer was a direct RESULT of his killing his mother?
Or that there was absolutely no link at all... just a horrible coincidence?

Chicken, egg... egg chicken?Come on, this is the REAL WORLD out here!

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2012 04:23 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> Or that there was absolutely no link at all... just a horrible coincidence?

No link at all. There would possibly be a link, or at least a warning sign, if only violent people liked violent entertainment, but that is clearly not the case as the vast majority of us watch violent entertainment without ever committing acts of violent.

> are you also saying that there are NOT many others out there with similar problems...

Of course not. What I am saying is there is no clear evidence that violent entertainment causes or triggers them to commit a violent act that they would not have eventually committed anyway. Children committing act of violence has existed long before violent movies.

I don't think there is significantly more violence by children, adjusted for population, then there was decades ago. The difference is that we live in a world of global media. In the 1950, a child killing his/her parents in some obscure location would have made headlines in the local region, and maybe a small back page article in the big city newspapers, but that it. Now, we hear about these kind of things from around the globe in almost real time. Lurid news has no boundaries.

Also, I don't think coincidence is the right word. It's more of a situation where violent people, regardless of age, tend to like violent entertainment. It is not a matter of one causing the other.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC