8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » super 8 sound leader

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: super 8 sound leader
Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2012 12:39 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to know the benefit of having this unless you use alot of this at the beginning of a film meaning and it has plenty to thread what is the point of using this?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

|  IP: Logged

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2012 02:35 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no point to be quite honest. I have bought this stuff from LGP cine here in the UK stereo striped in 50 foot lengths just for some intro music prior to film or for using to give some naration in a film saving titles. Have even used old bits of film for the same use showing without light on. Larry Pearce did some great leaders for films as well just to splice on front or ends of films. Anybody remember the leader sold by Arrow here in the UK called Protect a print that cleaned the film gate before the film started?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 20, 2012 04:35 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I do remember it Colin and it was excellent,I defy any self
threading machine to misthread with that stuff.A definate boon
for the auto thread projector.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2012 05:03 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the leader you are referring to was Green, Protect-A-Print leader was also sold in the USA in Super 8mm & 16mm (possibly 8mm as well). However, it is somewhat abrasive. I stopped using it for that reason. Sound striped leader is not only good for recording tests. At the end of a print it reduces sound-head wear. The only source I can think of for it now is Wittner Cinetec.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 20, 2012 05:42 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like the stuff we're talking about Joe.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2012 06:31 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about when it is loading/threading all you would hear is chatter i never thought about using it at the end.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2012 06:41 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the leader is black opaque it extends a fade out. Wittner Cinetec sells it that way. Kodak used to sell a striped 50' reel in white (long since discontinued).

--------------------

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2012 01:49 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if Larry Pearce is still in buisness, this is something to check ut because I have a nuber of films I need leader on. Have plent of his stereo blacl leader to get on with. He used to have a stand at the BFCC conventions. The project a print in most projectors was fine, but some of the Eumig gates were a bit prone to wear on the back plates. Most of these on my projectors have worn slightly. but still run film with no scratches.

Leon Thomas Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2012 05:06 AM      Profile for Leon Thomas Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi , Larry Pearce teams (family) are still selling the leaders on e.bay on regular bases .I have bought few in last few months .If you need more than 400ft just contact them through e.bay they will reduce the prices accordingly.Viva Larry and his contribution to our hobby [Wink]

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2012 11:33 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is it that Larry is selling exactly? Plain sound striped leader? What color is it? Any sound striped Countdown leader? Does he ship to the USA? I looked on eBay UK but didn't see anything. Might be less expensive than ordering from Germany.

--------------------

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2012 11:35 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
S-8mm sound leader was useful back in the day when making films on S-8mm shot on sound film stock. Since the sound was ahead of the picture, having mag striped leader allowed you to have the sound start exactly with the start of the images. To me it was an easy way to identify if the film on the reel was sound or silent based on the kind of leader. I preferred about one foot of striped black opaque film (Kodachrome shot with lens cap on)to start a sound film as the white leader going right into the picture was jarring to the viewer and bad form. [Smile]

--------------------
Live Free or Die

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC