8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Nitrate Film Burning.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nitrate Film Burning.
Desmond Godwin
Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2012 02:38 PM      Profile for Desmond Godwin   Author's Homepage   Email Desmond Godwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a small clip showing a single frame of nitrate film burning..

[Eek!] Desmond

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HzPoU_0inIk

|  IP: Logged

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2012 02:54 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other uses for Nitrocellulose: propellant, low-order explosive.

I understand that stuff will burn under water as well.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 17, 2012 03:06 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I believe it can burn underwater and was the reason why so many cinemas were destroyed during WW2.

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2012 06:42 PM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes after WWII the trend was to build cinemas above water [Wink]

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2012 08:35 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why settle for one frame when you can see a complete 2000 ft reel?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEz_a-Akufk&feature=related

Around 1986/88 I was a participant at just such an event. We burnt about 4-5 reels in different sizes. It's something I still remember as if it was yesterday.

One thing that we did'nt know was that the fumes was dangerous, but we are all still around, so we must have had luck with the wind that day.

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Harrison Bradley
Junior

- posted May 17, 2012 10:24 PM      Profile for Harrison Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides the recent "Inglorious Bastards", does anyone know of any other movies that have nitrate film burning?

David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2012 11:42 PM      Profile for David M. Ballew   Email David M. Ballew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema Paradiso immediately springs to mind.

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2012 03:12 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Used to play with that stuff as a child in the fifties. Have since worked with it professionaly. OK if procedures followed, eg; should be stored away in suitable vault overnight. Unfortunately people still don't allways take this seriously.

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2012 10:47 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lars, the flame coming off that reel was amazing!

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2012 12:27 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The roar resembled an engine firing up. Or something ominous.

Harrison, have you seen last year's "The Artist"?

David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2012 05:23 AM      Profile for David M. Ballew   Email David M. Ballew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film historian Kevin Brownlow (famous for his long association with Abel Gance's film "Napoleon") tells this story about nitrate film:

"Knowing I was keen on films, someone had given me a 200ft roll of nitrate. It showed a scene from Rupert of Hentzau, made in 1913. I had heard that old films were printed on cellulose nitrate stock, which was highly inflammable. What’s more, the industry was still using it. It was 1950; I was 12 years old, and enjoyed staging battles with my friends on the acres of bombed sites that surrounded my home in North London. I placed this roll in a paper bag, climbed to the roof of a bombed building and when my pals passed beneath, I lit the fuse and dropped it. It exploded most satisfactorilly. But I could have kicked myself when I needed the sequence for a documentary in 1996. That roll was all that was left of an important film – and the images on the reel had looked most impressive."

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC