8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » how i miss derann (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: how i miss derann
Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 03:22 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i really miss derann nearly every time i went over dudley i use to pop in and have a chat with gary ,ged steve ,and adrian and have a brows through the second hand films in the boxs i wish they still going even if they where on the internet

|  IP: Logged

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 07:00 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.....likewise...about this time they'd have their Open day... that'd be the best time of the summer;miss them indeed...

--------------------
Yannis

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 22, 2012 07:05 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gone but not forgotten. I wish they were on the internet also. I really looked forward to their new list. [Frown]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 22, 2012 07:33 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah!

Those lists used to show up at lunchtime Friday at my job. I bet the people I worked with wondered why I only went out to lunch with them Monday through Thursday!

You're a lucky guy Kevin. I always wanted to visit Derann, but an entire Ocean got in my way!

-

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 08:07 AM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I would have got to ecpircence having derann around [Frown]

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 08:24 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Austin, a spell checker would make your posts more effective. And if Derann was still around, I have to wonder if the cost of a new print would be affordable today!

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 02:56 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guy's, like kevin i live within a short distance of derann (within 3 miles) and use to go and have look around at the secondhand s8 films and equipment.Back in early 80's it was also open on saturday's and i would purchase the 400ft extracts new at the time from the late man himself, he always had time for every one and would chat with you.I only learned of it closing from ebay when adrian put up one of the gs1200xenon projectors for sale and i recognised the address so i just had to go up and see if it was true , and sadly the rest is history.I often thought that all the people here on the forum we could have got a co-operative together to purchase the equipment to keep those film's rolling off the printing machine's ,with all the talented people here and the know how would have had no problem and with a captive audience to purchase the end product. You can dream carn't you.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 03:44 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder who bought those historic GS1200 xenon machines? Was it you, Paul?

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 04:06 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to go to their Open Days in the early to mid 90s. I could rarely afford much!It was always worth it for the film shows upstairs. I remember the first time they ever incorporated dvd - a documentary from Psycho. I helped Derek get the dvd player working as he wasn't sure how to operate it!

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 04:21 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Simon , yes i bought them . I alway's made myself a promise that if one came up on ebay that i would bid on it, having missed a couple of these in the past.This seemed like the ideal situation for me living so close i could just collect them . I didn't know at the time that there were two for sale so i made adrian an offer he didn't refuse !!!!. I also had two spare lamps the correct toshiba one's and the elmo f1.0 lens and the elmo f1.2 long throw lens 25-50mm . Believe when i say that as ged was demo-ing one to me someone was on the phone to gary asking the price for other and how much to send to germany!!!!!.I have no regrets at all , for me the best s8 projector ever made .

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 04:37 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul

Thanks for your reply. Imagine how famous those machines are though! They were used at pretty much every Blackpool (at least, the ones that Derann organised!) so must have entertained thousands of people there over the years. Then, there's the open days...and all of the other events that Derann organised. And to think that Derek himself operated them. There were many, many pictures of these machines in FFTC magazine too over the years. Absolutely superb items Paul. Are they good runners? They should be as I recall Ged saying that only Bill Parsons had sorted them out/serviced them over the years.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 22, 2012 04:44 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That Joe is a very good point,I think that the price of film was in a
way self defeating,you've got to sell a lot of the stuff to pay for
staffing costs,heating,taxes etc, and lets be honest,the business
wasn't there,It's one thing to buy a used feature for £200.00,
quite another to pay £400-500 for one new,and I would guess that's being conservative.No,they had had their day,and it had
been a good one,but nothing is forever.At least you have pleasant memories of dealing with them, and their prints in your collections.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 05:09 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Simon, one of the machine's developed a fault about a month after the purchase , one of the gear's that is fitted to the arm split, common on the gs1200 plenty of articles on the forum about this.No problem tho i had some made at a company in birmingham but solid bronze,not like the plastic on brass fitted to the elmo, got the correct bearing from a company in walsall and now no problems, in fact bill bought one for a repair he was doing to a gs1200 at the time and he was more than happy with it.The other machine was virtually as new or not used on a regular basis (week to week ) they both have the two blade shutter fitted too so increased light output.Sorry kevin didn't mean to high jack your thread mate, but if a forum member ask's a question i like to keep it real and answer honestly .

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 06:15 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
......does anyone know,btw, whether the 600'white card boxes DERANN used to sell are still available somewhere?

--------------------
Yannis

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 07:22 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really miss Derann too. I still have all of their Email lists in my inbox I still look at from time to time. I was always on the phone to Ged and Gary with my order but my big regret is that I never made the effort to visit the shop as it always looked a bit too far for me. But I did see Derann at the BFCC and Blackpool.

Has anybody got any previously unseen photos of Derann they might like to place here on the forum.

Graham S

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 23, 2012 09:37 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yanis, yes I would also like to know if anyone has any spare 600ft white card boxes. [Cool]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 23, 2012 10:57 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
......does anyone know,btw, whether the 600'white card boxes DERANN used to sell are still available somewhere?

Just want to clarify why you need that box? As far as I know it was made from thin paper which will look bad (clumsy) after several years.

You can make your own box using the cardboard material available in the market. I make my own cardboard 400' and it is good. Even we can print on the top of the box making it like the original artwork.

Here is the step by step:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007185

If I can make for 400 feet, I don't see any problem for 600 feet.

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 23, 2012 11:06 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody have any stories about what happened after September 2011?

Did the guys move on to other jobs?
Is the building occupied again?

My thing about Derann will always be that is was fun while it lasted. I was a slightly serious film collector until just around the time I went off to college. Then between that and getting married and buying a house and establishing a career the money and the time were never both there at the same time to pursue it seriously again. If you'd asked me around the year 1999 I would have told you my film activities would probably be watching my few silents once or twice a year until my only projector died (or me personally..whichever came first!)

Then I found out about this bunch of guys selling brand new Sound prints (including features) and I became a kid in a candy shop!

I probably spend as much screen time in a week as I did in a whole year 12 years ago. I don't need to look for a projector when I'm in the mood for a film, but I do need to stow them when company is coming!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2012 07:04 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....the 600'boxes-like all card boxes!-are light & take little storage space,compared to the plastic ones;I usually mount films that came not in original cases, on 600'reels & the card boxes are ideal for storing not-so-long films...

--------------------
Yannis

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 23, 2012 09:28 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember asking Derek if he knew where I could get a 110v Motor for a Bauer T600 that I had purchased. Next thing I know I see it listed on one of his lists. We would email and he would send me pictures of his personal screening room. Such a wonderful man who was very generous of his time and knowledge. He was to me the Walt Disney of Super 8. When you combine his encyclopedic knowledge of the hobby, his passion and dedication, his craftiness at getting us some Super 8 prints even before they went to Videocassette...there was no way he could fail. He is missed very much. And now that he is gone and his baby, Derann is gone, the world is just a little bit colder.
But we still have our other dealers - Perry's, Ian's, Paul's, Classic, Reel Image..they are continuing the hobby and thank god for them. It can't be about the money...it is about the love of Film.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 23, 2012 10:53 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the 600' (and some other) boxes, my guess was that Derann probably got them made to order from a box manufacturer. They would have been ablke to order eniough to make that viable.

Regarding what staff went on to do, I recently read somewhere that Steve is going into selling 16mm films, but I'm not aware of him advertising yet.

There's still the mystery of the significant amount of unsold films (many new S8 shorts) that were left at the end of the last day. It was clear they didn't want to drop the prices much, so for some reason they were willing to hang on to them.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 24, 2012 04:10 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just amazed at the prices some films seem to be fetching now since they'v gone,i'm sure most of the people paying scilly money on the internet are clearly not aware that there are still dealers around selling at normal prices!!!!

On the white box issue, here in Plymouth there are a few companys that are happy to make them for us, i did post on here some time ago in regard to 800ft boxes but only had a few replies, it appears that most companies who are able to do it will need a good original which we have on 200,400,600,800 and 1200's but a minimum order of a 1000 was required. When i asked Ged at Derann some time ago when the 800ft boxes ran out he did say the company who made them for Derann wanted £2000 to replace the part on the machine that was used for them hence Derann said no and the 800ft were one of the first sizes to run out but there are definatly companies that will do them, both here and abroad.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 24, 2012 05:26 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Winbert has a good attitude to the film box issue,he isn't
going to be put off,he makes his own, and from what I saw of
the cartons he made for "BLUE WATER,WHITE DEATH", he ought
to be doing it professionally.I take the same view,if I can't get it
from the pro's, I'll manufacture something myself and it does
give another facet to our hobby.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2012 07:27 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, that's interesting-am always after 800' & 600' boxes for the reels I have,the only thing I guess is, it's a bit hard to find enough of us to place an order...
....PS too lazy to make my own boxes [Razz]

--------------------
Yannis

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 24, 2012 10:46 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
me to [Big Grin] [Wink]
The card boxes were an easy option, the problem with card of any kind is over the years they absorb moisture, ive purchased films before even from derann where dots of mould are present so ive ditched the box and used a new one, what i tend to do is make my own art work using a copy of the original,using a paint programm on my PC i basically renew it, print it to size, pritt stick it to the box and then i cover the whole box, front, back ,sides and flaps with a single piece of stick backed plastic, this stops moisture getting thru as well as making the box lovely and glossy, yum yum, [Big Grin]
At first covering it took me ages but now its a 5 minuite job. The artwork as previously mentioned adds another part of the hobby.
Where possible though i do prefer plastic or metal containers, although they take up more room i feel they give better protection.
Heres one i did earlier

-

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC