8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » how i miss derann (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: how i miss derann
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 24, 2012 11:58 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One time, I saw on Derann's used list a copy of the slightly edited scope feature of "My Name is Nobody" on super 8. I didn't have any ready cash at the time ...

What I did have was very good condition LP's of some of the Beatles earliest Albums, not mint condition, but pretty darned good ...

I mentioned them to Gary and that handsome lad that he is, said that he would be willing to trade the Beatles Albums, (I think there were four of em) for "My Name is Nobody". We made the trade ...

... and I hope that Gary is enjoying them to this very day. I know that I'm still enjoying that "Nobody" scope feature!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 24, 2012 12:34 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, thats a great feature version of My name is Nobody, ours is still in our collection, not the sharpest of scope prints but it certainly hard to get hold of today.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 24, 2012 04:14 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom

That is excellent work. I am a big lover of box art. I make my own boxes for my 800' and 1200' reels. I also make them for others when the film cpmes in the ugly can of nothing at all. I find it is fun and rewarding when it is done. Plus, if you decided to sell the print it will get you a little more money even if it is not original.

PatD

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 24, 2012 06:11 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat,I think you and Winbert should go into business making these
things,you've already got your customers.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 24, 2012 07:04 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh

Thanks for the compliment. I thought about it. But, it's one thing to do it for yourself, and quite another to do it for somebody else. Plus I couldn't make money on forum members. I enjoy doing it for myself.

PatD [Wink]

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2012 10:16 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...great job Tom!
....Pat, I second Hugh...

--------------------
Yannis

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 25, 2012 11:46 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pasquale/Yanis, thanks foy your comments, here is just one more example, and if there are any titles i can help you (or anyone else) with and i have them please let me know. I think i have around 250-300 saved at present.
I always try to use images that are actually in the super 8 version.
This one was done 800ft size as we have both parts of the Holy grail.
 -

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2012 03:55 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice artwork, Tom. I only have part one of "Grail" and the trailer.
The original certificate was actually an "A" by the way and then mysteriously altered to a "15" when the system changed.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 25, 2012 04:08 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom where were you when Walton were putting out those
bloody awful cereal box labels and some of Deranns were just as bad.That is exemplary,as are Pat and Winberts boxes,you fella's
are hiding your light under a bushel.Talent will out.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2012 05:56 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
An early Derann rarity from another fondly remembered dealer.

Gary Brocklehurst
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2012 02:03 PM      Profile for Gary Brocklehurst   Email Gary Brocklehurst   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Everyone!

Just to let you know that I am now happily working as a sales administrator for a local rubber company, following a well earned rest from 35 years at Derann. I still have a fondness for the film business, however and hope to meet lots of familiar faces at Blackpool in November. Mine's a Guinness if you are buying! All for now and thank you for your previous custom plus all the happy
memories

Kindest Regards Always

Gary Brocklehurst

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2012 02:25 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gary,

Its nice to hear from you mate,glad you managed to get a job sorted out.

How was the Isle of Wight?

I hope to see you @ Blackpool for a few pints of Guinness then.

Cheers Mark W

PS-How is Ged doing?

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2012 03:14 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Gary. It's nice to hear that you are back in the land of the "employed".

Working for a rubber company?

I knew you would "bounce back" in the end [Smile]

Did it take you long to "mould yourself" into the job?

I hope your wages are not paid by cheque? Especially the type that "bounce". [Big Grin] [Wink]

Hope to see you at Blackpool. Take care - best wishes to the missus.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 02, 2012 03:35 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great news Gary, do you know how Steve and Ged are?

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2012 07:26 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....well done Gary, see you in November! Say hello to Ged & Steve if you're in touch!

--------------------
Yannis

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 02, 2012 07:40 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary

Great to hear from you! Good luck with the new career. Thanks for thinking of us in the forum.

PatD [Wink]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 03, 2012 09:58 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary - Congratulations on being back in work. I'm sure you can apply your own style of humour to being a man in rubber!
If you're staying in Blackpool over the weekend, please consider booking for the Saturday night dinner for collectors I'm organising at the Savoy!
By the way, I've just made sure that the Collingwood are open that weekend.

[ August 03, 2012, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Gary Brocklehurst
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2012 12:52 PM      Profile for Gary Brocklehurst   Email Gary Brocklehurst   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All

Thank you for your kind comments

We had a fantastic time on the Isle of Wight in January, staying in Shanklin, with nice weather too

Ged is close to retirement age and will probably not work again, although I am not sure about Steve's position

We are not sure where we will be staying in Blackpool, although it has crossed our mind to take a stall

Please keep in touch!

Kindest Regards

Gary Brocklehurst

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2012 01:43 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great to hear from you Gary!

A stall would be a great idea,have you load of films to flog then?

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2012 02:18 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary, so pleased to know you're doing well and are gainfully employed! I will always be grateful for your kind and efficient service with my occasional orders.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2012 05:28 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Ged has taken early retirement, he's on Pension Credit, which is a fanciful way of taking him off the unemployed register.
I've heard that Steve is working in a Supermarket, I see from Gary's post he's got a job (well done), but I have no information about Adrian and the rest of the staff, and I still wonder how my little business is still here and Derann have gone, it's a strange old world.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 13, 2012 12:45 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice that Gary is still going to the Blackpool convention. He was the face of Derann for all us export buyers, and seeing him there in November will, I am sure, bring the Derann nostalgia out in full force for a lot of people.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC