8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Put your money where your mouth is

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Put your money where your mouth is
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2012 11:39 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well tomorrow I will stand up in front of industry Hollywood studio folks, and archivists and give my presentation on An Easy and Affordable 35mm desktop printer I am one archivist who is committed to film and not afraid to dive into the shark tank of digital guys and say so...My hope is that other archives will be inspired to continue using film...NOW if I could only convince the studios that it was beneficial to release super 8 prints of their new releases [Razz]

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2012 12:59 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish you all the luck!

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2012 01:40 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak just came out with a new archive film that's supposed to last over 100 years. It looks like they're introducing it at the same event. Good luck Dino!

Kodak Introduces New Film Aimed at Archiving

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 24, 2012 02:38 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck Dino,common sense dictates that Hollywood won't
put all their eggs in one basket and we would hope be looking
to the future.Which in the long run would surely be beneficial to
the private collector.

Jerome Sutter
Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2012 09:52 AM      Profile for Jerome Sutter   Email Jerome Sutter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, I wish you all the luck in the world. We have to take a stand on this. Digital is okay for home video, not for theaters.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 24, 2012 12:17 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fingers and toes crossed Dino [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2012 12:26 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best wishes for a convincing and successful presentation this afternoon, Dino!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 24, 2012 01:12 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great good luck Dino!

There's no better person to broach this subject with a potentially skeptical audience than someone who really knows and loves film and can brief people on all the technical points of film as well as the pros and cons of film vs. digital.

No need for fingers crossed, you're the man!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 24, 2012 02:53 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got get em Dino! You'll show them! [Eek!]

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2012 05:16 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you too Dino...go get 'em! I'm sure you will do just fine! Hopefully common sense will prevail.

Bill [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 24, 2012 06:29 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the best Dino.

Reading through your topic it sounds good. The idea of digital files to 35mm negative can guarantee long term storing. I am sure you will find plenty of interest in it.

Graham.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 24, 2012 07:41 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the best with your presentation Dino. I can think of no better ambassador for film than yourself.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2012 12:46 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am happy to report that the presentation went well, and I had some interesting data to give them based on the costs involved putting together my presentation. It costs me $425 to make my archival negative, and one light check print that I screened, and $2000 to make my 2K scan of the negative, and subsequent DCP...The sad thing was that while the DCP (of the scanned 35mm negative) looked great, the print (from the same 35mm negative)looked terrible...I think the labs are cheating now and running prints at like 480 fps, which is kind of like recording a VHS at SLP instead of SP....Hopefully I will be able to do the presentation again in Seattle at our December conference and I can point this out, as I did not figure it out until after I presented. ,, I did speak with Kodak and will be trying out their new stock on the printer soon...

--------------------

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2012 01:28 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino-What was terrible about the print? Who printed it? Why didn't you complain and have it re-printed? Sorry for so many questions.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 26, 2012 02:04 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Dino! [Wink]

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2012 12:06 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry
In regards to the print it was made by DeLuxe and since this is very much a test project my first viewing of the print left me unsure of whether the bad quality was in the print or the negative...It was only once I had the negative scanned that i was able to tell definitively that the print was made poorly.

The defects that were in the print were in regards to focus, since it is soft, and the gamma since there were blown out parts with little to no detail.

--------------------

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2012 12:38 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino-Is the original source material film or something shot from a digital camera? When I was at the DI company I was working for the RED files had very little or no info in the light areas. Skies were usually blown out. Or the print may have been timed wrong. Can't explain the focus unless I knew more.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2012 11:16 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deluxe's days are numbered if they can't make an impressive-looking print as a sales advertisement.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC