8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Hello! :)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hello! :)
Scott Kellaway
Junior

- posted August 24, 2012 04:27 PM      Profile for Scott Kellaway   Email Scott Kellaway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone here at the 8mm forum, I am Scott from the UK and wanted to introduce myself as I am becoming more and more interested in 8mm and Super-8 Films.

I have 2 films here in my hand and was wondering if anyone could help me out with values or could tell me if they are any good? the first is 'David Sullivan's Come Play With Me' in near mint condition looking at it, and Witchfinder General starring Vincent Price (Paper cover version).

Also I have been offered 'Confessions of a Driving Instructor' (2 reels) for £20, is this a fair price?

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2012 03:07 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To get a better idea of what films should be priced at Scott you need to take a look at a few dealers lists. You'll find Independent 8 listed on www.bfcc.biz - just follow the Independent 8 links.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 25, 2012 03:29 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scott, if Confessions is two seperate 400 foot reels,(it was released as two seperate 400 foot spools, part one and two),& the film is in good condition with good to fair colour then £20 isnt bad at all. I have copy of this (both parts) and the colour is still very good, virtually no fade at all on my print.(& i'm quite fussy when it comes to colour fade).

Also, try Classic home cinema's website,

http://www.classichomecinema.co.uk/

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 25, 2012 04:21 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Scott,IF i remember."Come Play With Me" was also 2x400.
The "Witchfinder General" 2x200 is always popular and if in fair
condition should sell.

Scott Kellaway
Junior

- posted August 25, 2012 04:53 PM      Profile for Scott Kellaway   Email Scott Kellaway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much for the replies guys, Come Play with me looks as new to me although there is only one reel, the same with Witchfinder General although does not have it's original card box, the photocopy style cover is placed inside a plastic case (Which has kept it save from damage).

I paid £15 for Come Play With Me and £8 for Witchfinder General, does that sound like a fair price? should I buy Confessions?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 26, 2012 03:23 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scott,Confessions is a 2x400 Columbia release, so be careful of
the colour as the one I was given is faded. £20.00 for 400' does
seem a trifle expensive, I would have thought £12- £15.00
would be more realistic,see if you can get him to come down.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2012 05:47 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scott

Confessions is a very common release here so I would say it's worth £5 to £10 tops,as Hugh says the prints are probably faded now too.

A very nice release as both parts follow on smoothly if you can find part 2 as well.

It was a very odd release for a US company too as it's all very British!

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 26, 2012 06:18 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Scott

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!!!! [Wink]

PatD

Scott Kellaway
Junior

- posted August 27, 2012 08:48 AM      Profile for Scott Kellaway   Email Scott Kellaway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much for the warm welcome and the advice. I don't think they will budge on the price so may leave Confessions.

I was at a carboot sale this morning and a guy was selling a box with some 8mm films in, only about 7-8 reels in there, most of which were just empty and others looking in bad condition and not of interest, the rest of the box was filled with boring still slides of buildings and a couple of empty slide boxes.

I pulled out 2 films that I liked the look of 'The Thing' and and a Chalie Chaplin film, both in good looking shape and in original boxes. I asked how much and he said he would only sell the box as a lot for £10 which I thought was steep considering the 'crap' that was in there, I said I only wanted the 2 and how much, he would'nt let me buy them without buying the box so I walked off. Later the guy tapped me on the shoulder and said I could have the box for £5, I was only realy interested in The Thing and offered him £3 for that and Charlie Chaplin, he said no (a good offer I thought considering). I said I'll leave it mainly because I did'nt like his attitude, obviously knew there was a pile of rubbish in there.

I'm trying to show a photo of my reels but the forum won't let me, why is this? :s

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2012 09:54 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Scott, and welcome to the forum! [Smile]

As for images, the forum only accepts images uploaded on the forum, and it's an unstable system at best. I suggest you upload it to a sharing site and post the link [Smile]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Scott Kellaway
Junior

- posted August 27, 2012 11:29 AM      Profile for Scott Kellaway   Email Scott Kellaway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I will do just that [Wink]

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk286/skellaway/IMAG2227.jpg

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 27, 2012 01:02 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoy! Lots O fun to be had here!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Scott Kellaway
Junior

- posted August 31, 2012 12:03 PM      Profile for Scott Kellaway   Email Scott Kellaway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much [Smile]

I managed to get a photo up of the 2 reels i have, do they look good?

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 31, 2012 02:25 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daft,Silly, Great,hobby. Seeing pics of peoples films always gives me a buzz !!!

Oh well what can you do ? cine etc. Thanks.

Best Mark.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 02, 2012 10:15 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Pics of your films look good Scott, but you must have more, otherwise they get lonely.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 02, 2012 01:04 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

I'm glad you're here at the Forum.

The unstable Christian's unstable remark aside [Razz] , uploading pictures is not difficult.

When you click on the "Post Reply" button, you're taken to the page where you type your reply in the message box. Underneath that box, on the left side is a link that reads "Click here to upload an image." If you click on that, you're taken to the Image Upload page. Scroll down and you'll see
a place to enter your user name and password. After doing that, click on the "Browse" button, which lets you choose the photo you want to upload.
Remember, the photo can't be any larger than 550 pixels wide and must be less than 200K file size. After you've chosen the photo, click the "Submit" button. If everything works properly, you'll see the "Success! Your Photo has been uploaded!" page. Copy the link for your photo and paste it into your response. The photo will show up in your post.

I'm looking forward to seeing your collection grow.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC