8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Kodak getting out of still films (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kodak getting out of still films
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 28, 2012 12:31 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eastman Kodak is getting out of the still camera and film business:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19366113

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 28, 2012 12:54 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just another nail in the coffin ...

or ...

"Just another brick in the wall ..."

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 28, 2012 02:50 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 28, 2012 06:30 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a very sad day indeed. The company that invented the box camera is getting out of their core business. Kodak were the best in the world at what they did, possibly the most iconic US corporation. But their demise is symptomatic of the decline of the US as a whole, where companies have sold all their technology to the highest bidder, and moved all the manufacturing to China. It is no exaggeration to say that it is virtually impossible to buy anything in the USA anymore that is not made in some other country. How can the country possibly maintain its standard of living with no manufacturing base? We just cannot survive as a nation of pencil pushers and money movers.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 28, 2012 08:57 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same in the uk Paul, you do wonder where it will all end.

Best Mark.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 28, 2012 08:57 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, no need to upset with to be current situation. America is still leading in terms of manufacturing.

A thing is made by 3 parties, i.e designer/conseptor, supplier materials and workers.

Let us take Apple. It is an American product because the designer/conceptor are from this land. Samsung from Korea is the supplier of material by selling screen, chip, memories to Apple. And Foxcon from China/Taiwan is the workers who made those materials for Samsung.

In this hierarchy, although you no longer see American products in the USA but America is still on the top of the hierarchy.

Cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2012 10:17 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As seemingly inevitable as these announcements are becoming, it doesn't make them any less painful.

Guess my wife's Mamiya 6-by-7 will have to be "fed" by Fuji and Foma when the wheels finally come off at Kodak... [Frown]
The race is on to get whatever Ekta 100 for Super-8 you can while the big rolls are still there.

It would have been one thing if they had just shut down, but this death by a thousand cuts is just undignified, given what that company has meant to our collective memories.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 29, 2012 02:36 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terrible news [Frown] Has Kodak done any aggressive advertising in the past few years to push the use of home "film" products?

Graham.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 29, 2012 04:00 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its not looking good as the bits they are keeping are the things that are in steep decline, so I think theres an inevitable situation coming.

From a financial sense probably better to have just flogged the lot before now and shut odd bits, but at least they are trying.

The US government gave a ton of cash and helped the automobile side of things get through, if there ever was a case for state support for something as American as this !!! Its KODAK !!! real film.

Best Mark.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 29, 2012 05:11 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't any different in Great Britain,where we have had to watch our companies sold on to make money for other countries while our own workforces were discarded,Cadbury being a prime example,the deal made was broken by Kraft,but nothing was done about it.Call centres placed the other side of the world,because it's cheaper for a particular business,while
laying off there own workforce.
It's a bitter pill to swallow but that's how capitalism works,you are all slaves to the shareholders who want a quick
return, and it is sad that Kodak who gave the man in the street
the pleasure of photography is going to the wall,but it seems
that the public have been brainwashed into believing that the
pictures from mobile phones are more than acceptable, the
great god Digital has won.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 29, 2012 10:49 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In response to Graham's question, I have not seen any advertising for Kodak film in years. They used to have a couple of full page ads for their motion picture film in every issue of The American Cinematographer, but I think they may have dropped even that.
35mm film has all but disappeared from supermarket shelves, although you can still get it some drug store outlets.
I read that cellphones have now replaced digital cameras as the principle means of taking photos, and the sales of digital cameras has plummeted.
Today, anybody can take a picture with zero knowledge of photography. Whether those pictures are even worth looking at is an entirely different matter.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2012 11:13 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So that leaves them with "the business focused on printers, cinema film stock and chemicals." Printers = highly competitive China-based market [= no win], cinema film stock = dying [as the forced switch to digital continues to completion in 2013], and chemicals = little unique market advantage.

Kodak is dead. How sad. I really thought they had a chance.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 29, 2012 11:21 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Paul,when was the last time you ever saw an ad for SUPER 8
film from Kodak,I think that they rested on their laurels a bit too
long.As you rightly say,all these pictures taken on telephones
and I'll bet very few are ever looked at twice.It cheapens a great
hobby and has actually endangered recording events etc,because
no one actually knows the longevity of digital. Kodak will surely
be a great loss, and I don't think the public at large realise this.
It seems as though there is this hidden agenda that everything
digital is good,and there is no room for chemical photography.
Video played the same hand.

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2012 11:31 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was recently surprised to see Kodak 35mm film being sold at a drug store on Kauai, Hawaii. Other than those disposable cameras I never see roll film in the drug stores in the Seattle area. Even the camera store I go to rarely has much of a selection of Kodak film, it's mostly Fuji. I guess some of the tourists that go to Hawaii still use film.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 29, 2012 12:04 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hugh,
I was talking to a professional cinematographer a couple of weeks ago and we were discussing this very issue. He said that the downside of digital is that just about anyone with a digital movie camera now thinks they are cinematographers! No knowledge of apertures, focal length, depth of field, shutter speed, medium shot, long shot, close shot, lighting, etc etc. Just point it and press the button. Perhaps that is progress and maybe I am being too critical here, and maybe digital really does equate to moviemaking for the masses. But I really resent it when TV news anchors reference their digital cameramen as cinematographers. That they aint! [Frown]
One thing I do know for sure is that digital moviemaking and traditional motion picture film making are a world apart, particularly so at the consumer level where, as you point out, the whole art has been cheapened, and I'm not talking about money.
The death of Kodak is the death of movie making as we know it.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 29, 2012 12:20 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
What really sets my teeth on edge, is when the same folk on TV
refer to a video or digital recording as film, such as "it was filmed on a mobile phone.",that'll be the day.As Brian mentioned there
that film is still available at some holiday destinations,the problem
is going to be where do they get it developed? Never mind Paul,
we still have our little band of the converted, I wonder if folk will
still be discussing film in twenty years time?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 29, 2012 01:36 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KOdak isn't dead, but it is on life support.

Kodak has just introduced a new 35MM low fade film stock that is supposed to be good for over 100 years (the one I believe was introduced at the very thing our own Dino made his presentation at?) ... and if this is the case, then perhaps KOdak will be releasing super 8 film stock for a good while in the future?

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2012 02:24 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ August 30, 2012, 03:50 AM: Message edited by: Rob Young. ]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 29, 2012 03:28 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well all I can add to that Rob is that some of the camera work
I've seen on television of late,in supposedly top rated shows is
absolutely dire.Where do they get some of these cameramen?
a tripod is alien to them,they can't hold a steady shot,they
hosepipe and have this knack for the staccato zoom,then pull
back and start the whole process again.Floyd Crosby,Harry Waxman,Tonino Delli Colli,Jack Cardiff and Douglas Slocombe
to name a few would wet themselves laughing at what passes
for camerawork on TV Drama these days.The work of news
gatherers is totally different, for the camera men involved in
some of the so called "entertainment" end,digital is good enough for them as it would be a shame to waste good film stock.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2012 03:55 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ August 30, 2012, 03:50 AM: Message edited by: Rob Young. ]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 29, 2012 09:51 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul, I think I should apply for the top CEO job at Kodak and form a team with the aim of putting film back on the map. [Smile] Kodak, needs a shake up at the top, who seem to sitting back and letting things slide downhill.

The only way to guarantee that the image shot today can be around in many years time is by using film. Home movies shot on Kodak eg Standard8, Super8 and 35mm slides will still be watchable in 50 years time, so our great great grandchildren [Smile] can still look at those images and go wow .

Film has had a long term proven track record, digital has not. Years ago people were told to transfer those old home movies to VHS tape, so they did, but as we now no, tape can deteriorate over time so the call went out to transfer your home movies "film transferred to tape that is" to dvd, so here we go again. [Roll Eyes] In that time though, that original "film image" is still looking really good and providing you have a projector to show it, and there are still plenty of those around it will always look great.

Recording a digital image is fine if folk we are not worried about "longevity".

With Kodak moving away from film there is a real danger that folks precious digital photos will simply disappear in the years to come... to be lost forever. [Frown]

Graham.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 30, 2012 01:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why Rob! You just leave me speechless!

(insert "chuckle" and "guffaw" here)

I agree, there is some really sh**ty camera work on TV, as well as in the theaters. You can have the absolute best film stock in the world, but if you have an idiot behind the camera, your lost!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 30, 2012 01:14 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What really sets my teeth on edge, is when the same folk on TV refer to a video or digital recording as film, such as "it was filmed on a mobile phone.",
Oh my teeth get edgier than that when you hear somebody talk about (for example) "video recorded in the 1930s" when it's obivious what they are talking about is 16mm or 8mm film.

It's fairly forgiveable when it's running around kind of people, but I've see "media types" (including one archivist at the Smithsonian.) do this!

Who are they saying invented the vidicon tube here? The Lumiere brothers or Thomas Edison?

I guess it's no dumber than calling a helicopter an "airplane", but it's just irritating!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 30, 2012 01:51 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have'nt heard reference to the Vidicon camera tube in quite a while. Our friend Steve must have worked for RCA!
It is worth noting that the finest television camera tubes ever made were the Image Orthicon tubes, designed and manufactured at the English Electric Valve Company in Chelmsford Essex. These tubes were world renowned for their superb image quality and the BBC's EMI cameras would use nothing else.
Yet another technology sold off to the far east.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 30, 2012 03:16 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually my first electronics job was for a company that specialized in High Voltage CRT power supplies (Test Department...ZAP!), and they had a little side business that built low light television cameras. That's about as close as I ever got.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC