8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » There goes Fuji!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: There goes Fuji!
Jerome Sutter
Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2012 09:28 AM      Profile for Jerome Sutter   Email Jerome Sutter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Press release from Fuji

Announcement on Motion Picture Film Business of Fujifilm

September 13, 2012 Fujifilm has mainly provided negative films for shooting and positive films for projection in its motion picture film business operations. However, in order to adapt to the recent rapid transition of digitalization in the shooting, producing, projecting and archiving processes of motion pictures Fujifilm has decided to shift its business operations to provide products and services designed for digital workflow of motion picture production and projection.

Digital cinema camera shooting has been gaining momentum, and digital editing that heavily uses CG composition and VFX processing has now become common in motion picture production. There is also an increase in the number of movie theaters that converted to digital projection, following the increase of 3D motion pictures, implying the dramatically advancing digitalization in the motion picture industry. In such trend, Fujifilm has strived to reduce the costs of the production process for its existing negative films and positive films and continued to supply such films. However, the dramatic decrease of demand in the last few years has become far too great a burden to be covered by corporate efforts. Therefore, it has been decided to discontinue the sales of negative films, positive films, and some other products of motion picture in a prospect of March 2013.

Fujifilm will continue to provide films suitable for long-term archiving, high-performance lens for motion pictures, and other products and services designed for digital workflow of motion picture production and exhibition. Fujifilm will strive harder than ever to provide such products and services in its continuous contribution to the motion picture industry.

However, professional and amateur photographic still film will continue to be manufactured.
Products and services focused on

(1) Lineup of lenses for digital motion picture cameras and projectors
Enhance the lineup of Fujinon lenses which are highly acclaimed for its quality in the motion picture and broadcasting industry for many years.

HK series for PL mounts which are favored by many motion picture productions, the new FUJINON ZK4.7 x 19 cine-lens that offers high optical performance despite its compact size and light weight, etc.
For the screening of digital motion pictures, Fujinon lenses for 4K digital cinema projectors and lenses for super high-definition images

(2) Color management system

On-set color management system, Image Processing System IS-100, for digital shooting (motion pictures, television, and commercials) in a high degree of precision, enabled by Fujifilm's proprietary technologies for color reproduction and color management nurtured in the fields of photography and printing.

(3) Systems for archiving of digital images

Data media for long-term data storage of ultrahigh capacity that utilizes Fujifilm's proprietary BaFe (barium ferrite) magnetic material
Motion picture recording film (ETERNA-RDS) for long-term archival preservation of 500 years with silver halide technology
Digital data archive service as a data storage service that allows users to manage valuable data in an integrated manner (Promoting mainly in Europe and the USA and preparing for the deployment in Japan)

Products ending its sales

Color Positive Film
Color Negative Film
B&W Positive/Negative Film
Intermediate Film
Sound Recording Film
High Contrast Panchromatic Films
Chemicals (Japan only)

|  IP: Logged

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2012 02:47 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it will extend Kodak's life now that there is no competition.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 15, 2012 06:09 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Or you couldlook at it like Fuji.s corpse is slightly more deader
than Kodak's.When these companies are giving up film on this
scale,it's good news for no one.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 15, 2012 06:29 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just read an article in the American film magazine Cineaste that the march to digital cinema is going much faster than anyone anticipated. They attribute this mainly to the advent of digital 3D movies. The article said that all the movie theaters in the USA will be digital by 2013!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 15, 2012 07:58 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
4k Digital technology will enevitably end film in the Cinema today as we know it. Whether we like it or not, modern technology has finally caught up with film and surpassed it due to the lack of flaws in digital technology as apposed to film! If you grew up loving film and the movies, then you always will, but for current and future generations its old hat I'm afraid! I cannot get my 16yr old son to watch any movie on our 120" screen outside of 1080p Blu Ray movies! [Frown]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 15, 2012 11:14 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently the next thing in the pipeline are 4k home projectors and 4K blu ray discs! Time to buy yet another version of Singin in the Rain ?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 16, 2012 04:06 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That's exactly what manufacturers do. sell you something,then
tell you a short time later that what you have is no good anymore,
here is something better.How many times have they done this
with your favourite films, and your copy on film is still there and
will be for years to come,a bit like HRH Queen Elizabeth, Heads
of State may change, but she's remained a constant.Film won't
truly disappear,it is tried and tested,but it wont be for the
average viewers eyes,just an archive material.Like I've said Paul,
the time is now,enjoy your films,no one can appreciate and
cherish your titles as much as yourself, so does it really matter in the long run if future generations enjoy their movies on a
form of computer chip?We are the lucky ones,film with all it's
irritating foibles, like scratches and splices etc,still weaves a
magic like no other medium.I suppose the movers and shakers
must despair of film collectors,quaint nutcases,until they're
missing a particular title, then we're the first people they look for.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2012 06:07 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Already here Paul;

http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/fpjhomecinema/vpl-vw1000es/overview

However, I doubt 4K discs will ever see the light of day, as it is difficult enough to sell Blu-ray to the masses. Instead, most new Blu-ray players will propably upscale to 4K I reckon.

Actually, we're at a crossroads here, 4K on one side and downloading on the other. Downloading could quickly see the end of physical media (Blu-ray) simply because of it's convenience factor.

Try explaining to Joe Public that downloading, whilst technically can be HD, is so compressed as to make it worthless as a viable alternative to Blu-ray in terms of quality.

Actually, us lot, as appreciatiors of quality images, should be championing new formats like 4K, not worrying about them. It doesn't mean we have to change or upgrade our gear as long as we're happy with it, but at the same time, it should be comforting to see a strive toward ever better quality, rather than the alternate route (downloading) which (much like MP3 put an end to accessible quality music) may put an end to quality viewing at home (quality digital viewing, that is, as we all still have our real films! [Smile] )

Just my opinion.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 16, 2012 07:20 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
And so say all of I, Rob!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 16, 2012 10:08 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with Hugh about the unique magic of projecting reel film. It may not be as sharp as digital, and it probably has less resolution, but is certainly has an indefinable something, a special look and texture, and joy of equipment that digital just cannot replicate.
Rob is correct of course. The threat to Blu Ray is digital downloading, which is viewed as a great thing by the average Joe so he can watch CinemaScope movies on his 2 ins phone screen! Hopefully Blu Ray is here to stay, at least for a while. I bashed Blu Ray when it came on the scene 5 years ago, because I was perfectly happy with DVD at that time and could not see the point of it. I am still happy with DVD, but I can now see the picture quality advantages of Blu Ray, now that I have a 1080p projector. Blu ray to me seems to show perfect pictures, but I have heard that 4K is like looking through a window, so everything is relative.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2012 12:23 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do agree with everything said on this topic so far and it seem sad to me that the younger generations will never experience that special something that we have. i.e. watching a film as it was intended to be seen on a big screen. I do not think cinemas are going to exist much longer. The rot started with colour T.V. but it now has to compete not only with T.V. but laptops,mobile phones, tablets etc. What is the point of increasing image quality if it is going to be viewed on a mobile phone. Certainly 4k may be the next new format but for how long before it is improved to 10k!!! Formats are changing so rapidly that it is impossible for most people to keep up with it. Indeed do we need to? My next video projector will probably be a 1080p model but I will still be using it to screen my collection of DVDs. I still watch quite a few films on VHS and am quite happy. If the film is good, you dont really notice the quality.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2012 01:17 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where does that leave us slide film users? Kodak have stopped slide film altogether...are Fuji doing the same?

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 16, 2012 02:24 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon

What I have read so far with Fuji, they will continue with slide film. However the way things are going I am not sure for how long.

Graham.

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2012 01:15 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A further thought about Fuji. Currently they supply reversal stock to the French 9.5 organisation, who cut and perforate it. It is available from Grahame Newnham to the few U.K. 9.5ers who still use cine film. The number of users is dwindling so would not be surprised if this ceases to be available. It is of very good quality, equal to Kodachrome if exposed and processed correctly. Unfortunatly, running costs of using film is a lot more expensive than video these days.

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2012 06:00 PM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting discussion. I know when it comes to LP's vs CD's there is a warmer quality to the music. Digital numbers are different then analogue waves. Now I'm not quibbling., there is great music to be listened to on CD with impeccable sonics. But I'd rather listen to an lp of a jazz album by Miles Davis then I would the digital cd. I wonder sometimes about the electronic ray vs the projection of a shadow on a screen which is film. Motion in video,is replacement of scan lines rapidly and the mind puts it together. Whereas in film the frame is suspended still for a fraction of a second and the mind puts the series together. Is it a 'warmer' medium than digital having potentially a more hypnotic effect?

depressing news about Fuji. I use the stock for still transparencies in 3d. I think I'm going to shoot a lot in the next year or two.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC