8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Agfa FS8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Agfa FS8
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 15, 2012 07:18 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone had any experience using an Agfa FS8 Splicer? Apparantly fully automatic and supposed to be the Dogs Doo Dahs. Got on ecoming but as of yet never used an automatic tape splicer so just wondering about the advantages over the manual method ie Quick Splice etc that I have used previously?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 16, 2012 04:41 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew

Do you mean "F8S" Automatic, if so, its brilliant. I bought one new back in the 70s and still have it. The down side is that if you splice a stereo track it covers the balance track, thats why in later years I use mostly the "Wurker".

Providing you can still get a good supply of splices for the Agfa and not worried about the balance track its a well thought out and extremely quick to make a tape splice...well done Agfa [Smile]

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2012 05:14 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also agree with the other Graham that I think its brilliant too. I use mine all the time particully for joining features together on one reel. You get a very even clean splice very easily. The splices are still easily available from many dealers (CHC is one of them, Perrys used to sell them as well and might still do). The only slight downside I have found is that its a four frame splicer (i.e it covers 4 frames) so when editing home movies with lots of splices I sometimes cut the splices in half so they only cover 2 frames, or I use the CIR splicer on these, but the Agfa splicer is my favourite (and it was given to me for free)

Graham S

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2012 05:35 PM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll agree with the two Grahams, I have a Wurker but the splicer I use all the time is Agfa - they are really very good

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted September 16, 2012 08:31 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4 frames is probably a good thing with say Filmgaurd.

If anyone has one of these for sale reasonably in the UK or near be interested.

Best Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 20, 2012 03:17 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all for the comments / advice and yes, I did obviously mean the Agfa F8 S model. Having used this now on a number of really important joins in some special films to me, I have to say, I don't know how or why I ever put up with doing this task manually with a quick splice! This machine is so well made and makes the job an absolute breeze! I would recommend it to anyone who is still manually splicing.It's also really precise in its placement of the tape in and around the sprocket holes and also cuts both ends of each section of the film with real precision! Best 99p ever spent on e bay!!

--------------------

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2012 06:10 PM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
99p !!! You jammy git!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 21, 2012 11:43 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I know! I had previously bid on two others but was outbid both times at over £20! Just luck and wrong catagory section, me thinks! Ps if anyone doesn't mind paying the £20 for one of these,I have to say having now used one then I definately would of.Then there is one left at Marriots Photo Cine shop in London I think.This was the reason I didn't bid more than £20 originally on e bay but then the one I won became listed immediately after the others so didn't need to phone Marriots [Smile]

--------------------

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2012 10:44 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought mine at a thrift store for about £4, with about 10-15 splice tapes left in it. Was in perfect condition, using it for all my splicing needs now.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 23, 2012 03:35 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Me Too!!

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 24, 2012 05:21 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yet another one of these beauties on e bay UK as we speak with no bids and a start price of just 99p so go grab a bargain someone!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC