8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Raise The Titanic

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Raise The Titanic
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 18, 2012 05:38 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well folks what a thrill last night. Fellow forum member Pat had just got himself a 30 years old 35mm Scope print of this film from overseas "been after it for a while", Pat a real enthusiast for all things "Titanic"... this print was his baby [Cool] .

Anyway, he called in yesterday and loaded the film from its 6000ft reels onto the platter. I threaded things up to the 85 year old Ernemann for screening later last evening.

I must admit to being a little nervous, as once the Ernemann quickly gets up and running it takes a while to slow down and stop if anything with this old film goes wrong.

Well the image was "rock steady" and the sound was very good, the print did have a bit of fade in some places, but not bad. The under water scenes were really good. The great thing with using a platter is that the film gently floats to the projector and is not under any load going there. On the platter take up, the tension is just right "not to much" and is a constant right through the movie.

I was really impressed how the "Ernemann" handled this film, smooth and quiet running....absolutely brilliant. To think that "Titanic" sank in 1912 and this projector was screeing movies only 15 years after that disaster is amazing.

Anyway enough rambling, [Roll Eyes] here are a couple of screen shots, I have some more but at the moment limited to five.
 -
"Raise The Titanic" on the second to top deck ready for kick off.
 -

-

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 18, 2012 06:38 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham

That was a terrific film. And the print looks great. I think the reason Ernie is so gentle on film is the ever so long leader to thread the projector. it gives the film time to "relax". I think RTT was so well made. can you imagine if they really did that? I alwasy look forward to your posts. At least, in some small way, you are still a projectionist.

Take care,

PatD

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 19, 2012 01:53 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much PatD [Smile]

Here are a couple more photos, although the movie itself was a flop on its cinema release, the Super8 release was a huge hit for Derann. In paticular the Scope version, thats the one to go for. After watching it last night, the special model effects are very good, adding to that John Barry score. It was also nice to see Richard Jordan "Logans Run" and Alec Guinness, sadly both actors long gone.
 -
 -
 -
 -

PS. Was speaking to my daughter tonight and told me that had I let her know we were screening this film, she would have come over to watch it. April was brought up watching our Super8 "A Night To Remember" many times and always has had an interest in all things Titanic.

She had only watched "Raise The Titanic" on video and thought the movie was good one...so, ooops I forgot to let her know. [Frown]

Graham.

[ September 19, 2012, 05:49 AM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

Jerome Sutter
Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2012 11:12 AM      Profile for Jerome Sutter   Email Jerome Sutter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are pictures of the model of the Titanic, and what it looks like now. It is only a piece of scrap.

http://www.thisblogrules.com/2010/03/what-happened-with-titanic-from-1980.html

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 19, 2012 11:28 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmm....

-couple of issues with the model:

They knew that the forward funnel collapsed while she was still on the surface. (It was rumored to have fallen on John Jacob Astor, actually.)

Then again it was only believed by some that she broke in half when she sank. Had they found her before Clive Cussler wrote the book it would have changed the story considerably!

"Raise (half)the Titanic!"

Now available in paperback

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 19, 2012 11:47 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerome

Thanks so much for those pics. It is a dam shame how that ended up a piece of scrap metal. You would think they would have donated it to a museum somewhere. All the workmanship that went into that model and they just let it rust. The motion picture industry sure wastes a lot of money.

PatD

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 19, 2012 12:52 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Very true Pat,but it is also a working industry like any other and
they all waste money,or as management used to call it "losing it
in the system".

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 19, 2012 12:58 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A wonderful read and as a RTT nut it would have been something else to see thats for sure on 35. Went to Liverpool only the other week to look around the new displays of Titanic stuff which was most interesting. One of these days I might finish the 9.5mm film I started making a few years ago as well...

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2012 02:59 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for running the film for me, it was nice to watch it as it os ment to be seen on a big screen in scope and 35mm!
Now to get my hands on one of the 70mm prints would be epic! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2012 12:33 AM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read the book and saw the movie, but Clive Cussler never did any real research when he wrote it. The lack of sticking to the facts leaves me shaking my head because the story line is just not plausible. My grandmother in 1912 purchased a book on the sinking that I have to this day. I have known over fifty years that the Titanic broke in two as it sank... I laughed when people were surprised when they discovered the wreck of the Titanic and it was in two pieces! Pretty hard to raise and sail into New York ... still it was an enjoyable book and film, go figure.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 09, 2012 08:03 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My college had a really great library (pathetic social life, but you can't have everything...), and they had a lot of great old material from the Titanic era including bound magazines from before and after the sinking, and the New York Times on microfilm.

One of the things I read was a book by Lawrence Beesley, who saw the sinking from a lifeboat. He commented that there were stories the ship broke in half, but he was sure she went down in one piece.

There were other stories that she did break up and the bow resurfaced before the two sections sank seperately.

Many, many witnesses...it seems few of them really saw it well and lived to tell the tale.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 10, 2012 11:54 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A while ago I came across an article in the Readers Digest about the newsboy "Ned Parfett" whose photo was taken soon after the disaster. Its an interesting and tragic story in itself and well worth a read.
 -

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC