8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Remake of "The Wizard Of Oz"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Remake of "The Wizard Of Oz"
Jerome Sutter
Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2012 10:06 AM      Profile for Jerome Sutter   Email Jerome Sutter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the trailer from the remake The Wizard Of Oz. It looks interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhLaBpvS7os

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 21, 2012 10:34 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-actually less a remake and more of a prequel!

The Wizard of Oz is one of those movies that should never, ever be remade. Just by repetition it's become kind of self-perfect and can't ever be improved upon.

I'm good with this and want to see where they take it.

I also want to see the sequel showing what happens to the Wizard after he lands back in Kansas. After all: what do you do with the rest of your life after you've been someone so powerful people are sfraid to even talk to you?

I imagine him winding up a clerk in a pharmacy and yelling "SILENCE, WHIPPERSNAPPER!" over the PA system every time a customer complains!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2012 12:25 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Done right, a remake could be good.

However, I would rather see a more faithful adaptation of the novel which is quite different from most of the various movies and whatnot that have appeared over the decades.

Disney's Return To OZ remains the most faithful adaptation of L. Frank Baum's material done to date.

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 25, 2012 12:24 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as they stick with the books and don't try to make it trendy (putting lingo that young people use, modern attitudes, ect) I have no problems.

... it's why I loved the "Return To OZ" so much (from the mid 80's) as they returned to the look of the books, the illustrations. I love the original "Wizard of OZ", of course, but equally love "Return to Oz" but in a different fashion and for different reasons.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe McAllister
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2012 01:38 PM      Profile for Joe McAllister   Email Joe McAllister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The '39 'Wizard of Oz" was not the first film version of the book a version having been made in 1910 as "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz " the again in 1925. it has also been remade as "The Wiz" '78.

As has been noted "Return to Oz" '85 is a sequel as was "Dorothy and the Witches of Oz" 2010.Also Liza Minnelli voiced the role of Dorothy in "Journey Back to Oz" a 1974 animated sequel . In fact since 1910 the Oz books have provided the basis of dozens of films but the Judy Garland version from the golden year of 1939 remains iconic.

The books have the potential to provide a series a la the Narnia or Harry Potter novels. Next year see's three Oz related movies "Dorothy of Oz" an animated sequel to events in "Wizard" and "Oz: The Great and Powerful" which seems like a prequel and what sounds like a remake "L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" .

[ December 10, 2012, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Joe McAllister ]

--------------------
Always interested in privately produced amateur and home movies.

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2012 08:05 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's definitely a prequel.... trailer looked great when I went to see 'Lincoln' this past weekend. Looks like it's a telling of how the Wizard himself came in to being in Oz. Looks GOOD!

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2012 06:16 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand the "stick to the book" thought process.

To me, a book is a written medium and film is a audio/visual medium. Ideas are taken from books and expanded or cut down to make films.

Just filming a book word for word seems redundant.

Bill [Smile]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 23, 2012 07:45 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
In that context Bill,there are some authors that have distanced
themselves from screen adaptions of their work.Indeed in the
various incarnations of Bram Stokers "Dracula",the closest to
the novel has been the BBC TV version starring Louis Jordan,
likewise with Mary Shelleys "Frankenstein",again a TV adaption
that stayed with the novel, "Frankenstein the True Story"with Michael Sarrazin.The films made of Conan Doyles
"Sherlock Holmes" character pale in comparison to the TV series
with Jeremy Brett that stayed faithful to the written stoiries.
Likewise with the novels of Agatha Christie,whose work doesn't
need any interference from screenwriters trying to improve on
an established formula, the stories stand alone.Too often have
we seen Hollywood scripts like the many attempts at classics
such as "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" where the results
are laughable to say the least.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC