8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Sound Of Music

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Sound Of Music
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 04, 2012 03:44 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last week I saw that our local "Reading" cinema was going to run this movie for one of only screeing on Sunday 1.30pm.

Although not being presented on film, I thought I might still give it a go. My wife although she does like the movie itself was not interested, lucky in a way, as an hour before its screening apart from a couple of seats it was sold out. [Eek!] Anyway one seat only was right at the back in the corner, when the doors opened I was met with an "Usher" to show folk to their seats and thats something you dont see much of these days. I was pleased they held back the start time and allowed folk to settle back before the movie was to start.

The Usher then made an announcement, that their would be a 15 minute intermission, [Smile] The screen image was from a "Barco" digital projector. The transfer still had that rich colour of the film look. I must admit that the presentation onto the big screen looked really good [Cool] as with the sound.

One thing I did notice, was the age of the audience, it had a more general appeal than I thought it would have. A lot of folk in the 30s and young families. It really says a lot that a 47 year old movie can sell out like this, it was a most enjoyable afternoon.

I cant say I am a huge "The Sound Of Music" fan but it really was somethig to watch it again in such a way. Well done Fox for the transfer and Reading for presenting it with an intermission. I was wondering at the end how people would react, well a lot of folk were clapping during the end credits, so I guess that says it all.

Graham. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2012 12:38 AM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am no big fan of musicals in general (save the Wizard of Oz) but I did enjoy this film when I saw it because of the 70mm print and the incredible cinematography and great direction by Robert Wise. I have never watched it since seeing it when it came out... even on a big screen HD tv is a let down after that experience. For me 70mm was always a big deal and worth it.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 06, 2012 11:33 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David

70mm would be the untimate presentation, the old Cinerama used to screen 70mm back in the 70s but sadly long gone. I dont even no if any cinema can project that format in this country any more....pity.

Graham.

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2012 12:42 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cinerama in Seattle, that is now owned by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, is still set up to show 70mm:
quote:
MOVIES AS THEY WERE INTENDED
Cinerama has leaped once again into the technical future. Yet it’s equally important to embrace our historic roots with Cinerama 3-strip projection, and 35/70mm capabilities. The existing film projectors have all been kept intact. There are only three theaters in the world that can still show Cinerama movies, and we have the one and only that can show Super Cinerama.

Cinerama Seattle

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2012 02:43 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to find a definition of "Super" Cinerama, unless that's the 1.25x anamorphic 70mm type.

Desmond Godwin
Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2012 05:55 PM      Profile for Desmond Godwin   Author's Homepage   Email Desmond Godwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Certain Film Classics should only be seen through Celluloid and as always i would include the Sound of Music on this list. Since all my local Cinemas have converted over to Digital i have stopped going to these 'Big Screen Video Houses' I don't care how well the images (New or Old) are 'digitally dressed up' it will never appeal to me.
[Smile] Desmond

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC