8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » anybody else get this email

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anybody else get this email
Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2012 04:24 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got this email yesterday here it is in its entirety-

I'm writing to inform you of a collaborative on-line oral history project we hope you will find interesting and perhaps decide to join.

Planetary Projection will document, where possible in their own words, the work and experiences of the world’s film projectionists, today an endangered species. Accompanied by photographs of projectionists at work, brief vignettes will present some of their views on cinema and their trade, its past, present and future.

We’re looking for projectionists – past and present, professional and occasional crank turners – to contribute to the project. With time, we hope to publish a selection of the on-line vignettes in book form. Please visit our website at www.caboosebooks.net, where you will find a one-page PDF description of the project you can circulate or post. You will also find there a scholarly article on the film projectionist in early cinema by Timothy Barnard, in its published English, French and Spanish versions.

Already there are twenty lovely submissions by projectionists from the US, UK, Denmark, Brazil, Ireland, Macedonia, Argentina, Austria, Scotland, The Netherlands and South Africa. http://www.caboosebooks.net/planetary-projection More to come soon!

Planetary Projection is a project of caboose, an independent scholarly film book publisher based in Montreal. In 2009 we published an acclaimed new English translation of selections from André Bazin’s What is Cinema?, and in 2012 will be publishing the first-ever English translation of Jean-Luc Godard’s Introduction to a True History of Cinema and Television, with countless additions and corrections to the French edition.

Thank you for your interest and assistance, and we look forward to hearing from you or the projectionists you know and work with soon.

Yours sincerely,

Marina Uzunova

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Marina Uzunova

Project coordinator
Planetary Projection

www.caboosebooks.net
projectionists@caboosebooks.net

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

|  IP: Logged

Matt McBride
Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2012 04:41 PM      Profile for Matt McBride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got it too. I just ignored it. My guess is that a bot is fishing the this and film-tech's main website. Though it's weird because it came to my job related email. So I dunno?

Mikael Barnard
Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2012 08:28 PM      Profile for Mikael Barnard   Email Mikael Barnard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can confirm that the project and Marina are both genuine, well worth getting involved with if you want to.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 11, 2012 09:14 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recieved an e-mail yesterday and it seems ok. I had a look at what people have put towards it so far. I might add my tup-pence worth later on...will see.

Graham.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC