8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Lawrence Of Arabia Blu-ray

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lawrence Of Arabia Blu-ray
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 22, 2012 07:57 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished watching the 50th Anniversary edition on Blu-ray of this movie and its absolutely "stunning" in every way. Sony pictures have done an amazing job doing an additional restoration. The last one was in 1988. This "2012" one has been taken from 65mm film using a 8K scan/4k intermediate with a aspect ratio of 2.20:1.

The colour looks fantastic [Cool] as with the detail, eg you can even see the sand glitter from the reflections from the sun.

This is a must have Blu-ray and very highly recommend it.

Graham. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2012 12:18 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Graham. I just got the Limited Edition Collector's Box Set which has the bonuses of an extra disc of special features, the soundtrack plus a book AND a 70mm film cell.

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2012 10:10 AM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,Graham, Seen it on the BIG screen last week ,it was very good.Alex

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 23, 2012 11:41 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alex

Was it film or digial? last year, before we closed we ran the 1988 35mm print which to be honest had seen better days condition wise. [Frown]

I always felt films like Lawrence needs to be watched as a film presentation only, but after watching our local Reading cinema with there Barco video projector when they screened "Sound Of Music" lately and it did look really good [Cool] I am hoping they might follow it up with movies like "Lawrence of Arabia" [Smile] if the picture quality is anything like the blu-ray it would be good.

Graham.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2012 12:57 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

Good to hear; I am awaiting delivery of the Collector's Edition myself (book, soundtrack and so on) and I can't wait to see it.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2012 02:02 PM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi., Graham,It was digital, would like to see it on FILM side by side just to compare. Alex.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2012 11:16 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,
My wife and I just finished "night 2" with Lawrence on Blu-Ray and yes, superlatives are futile, the thing looks and sounds astounding, truly a labor of love.

It will still never be the same as sitting in the 9th row center at the Uptown Theatre here in DC with them rolling it in 70mm on their Victorias, but for home use, this is king right now.

If you buy, go all the way with the 50th anniversary package; it is well worth the money. The hardcover book is informative, the extras promise to be good and the overall presentation of this is of the highest quality in terms of printing and binding.

I now await "Ben-Hur" with its horn of plenty in the Anniversary Edition; we are truly celebrating the pinnacle of the "Big Films" (the 65mm jobs, so to speak) and the care that has gone into the transfers and the presentation on Blu-Ray, even as we have to lament the fact that so few places still can screen them in the way intended:

70MM. Nothing compares except real IMAX.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 26, 2012 02:54 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus

We watched "Ben Hur" on blu-ray over two nights a couple of weeks ago. The quality is excellent, however its more letterbox 2.76:1 ratio than Lawrence of Arabia with its 2.20:1.

Its still certainly worth getting though [Smile] It would be fantastic to see it screened once again in 70mm on the big screen, sadly I think the chance of happening has long gone.....pity.

Graham.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 22, 2012 05:57 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we watched again "Lawrence Of Arabia" Blu-ray up to the intermission and then picked up from the intermission to the end this morning. With a total running time of 3hrs 45minutes its a long haul, but worth every bit of it.

It image looks amazing on the Panasonic video projector, and the DTS 5:1 sound mix is really something. How do they manage to make it look and sound so good? considering its taken from a 50 year old film. Maurice Jarre impressive music in this DTS mix, adds a lot to watching this movie again in this 2012 release.

One thing for sure, we will never see films on this scale ever made again. Although I am not a fan of long films this stunning new release just holds you right to the end.

Graham.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2012 06:13 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David Lean was a real cinema master and a perfectionist. When he made a film, he didn't mess around!

Bill [Smile]

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2013 10:37 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can not wait till I get my Blu-ray copy of "Lawrence Of Arabia" I had it on Super 8 once I would love to get it again it was a digest 400 reel. I have the Ben Hur and the beautiful TEN COMMANDMENTS on blu ray and it is breathtaking. I love my 3 X 400 from Marketing films still has good color wow!!

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Adam McCreath
Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2013 07:19 AM      Profile for Adam McCreath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait to pick up the anniversary boxset myself! Lawrence of Arabia has always been one of my favorite epics and I have been waiting for the anniversary edition for a few years now instead of settling on the regular release (I knew it would be comming lol). I love the design put into these sets; I too have the Ben Hur, 10 Commandmants, Gone with the Wind, and several other big box sets and they are worth every penny. Although, this time around I am holding off hoping the price will come down latter this year (as they always seem too); just hope there are a few still kicking around so I can add it to the collection! Glad to hear it's a good transfer; can't wait to watch it!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 23, 2013 08:43 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Picked up the Lawrence Blu Ray a couple of weeks ago. As Graham has said, the picture quality is truly stunning, every detil beautifully captured, definately a bench mark blu ray. But the film itself confirmed my opinion of all these epic films - way too long and something of an ordeal to get through.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC