8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Hobbit and cold digital ... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Hobbit and cold digital ...
Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 14, 2012 06:55 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Leonard Maltin is a well respected film historian/critic and
I respect his views.Peter Jackson does make good films,but do
they have to be so long.His KONG was a great film,but the '33
version told the tale in half the time.I watched the RING trilogy
once and don't have a burning desire to revisit just yet, this new
venture sounds like much the same territory.Perhaps he'll find
out,much like Lucas with the prequels, that the craze has gone.

|  IP: Logged

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2012 07:48 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though Episodes 1-3 of SW were not as well liked as the originals they still made an enormous amount of money. According to boxofficemojo.com Ep. 1 made $1B, Ep. 2 made $650M and Ep 3 made $850M worldwide. And they weren't 3 hours long. Ep 1 & 2 were 2hr13 and Ep 3 2hr26. I was actually waiting for reviews since I had heard it was very long to decide if I wanted to see it or not. Had it been around 2 hours I might have made the journey to Middle Earth again but it sounds like a painful excursion. I loved LOTR and have watched them several times including the extended versions.

On another note. Now that it is digital distribution the studios are not printing thousands of feet of print film for every minute. I remember back in the optical days studios were complaining about the amount of credits on the end crawls to try and make it as short as possible just to save on printing costs. Now look at it since it's digital seems that is no longer the case.

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2012 09:10 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Started showing it here on Wednesday in 35mm, 9 reels, I thought it would of been struck here in NZ like Jackson's other titles but was surprised to see it come in from the USA, the film itself looks like a TV movie or a daytime soap opera which is a shame, apart from that the patrons are enjoying it, however not as many coming to it as I thought.

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 14, 2012 09:11 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a very good point Larry, remember when Derann took this decision with some of their feature releases,to keep costs down you could buy versions with short credits.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 16, 2012 06:49 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you cant get much further away from all the digital "bla bla bla" presentation than this.

Yesterday I called in to see Pat running "The Hobbit" on 35mm at the Waikari Hall. I understand it was built back in the 1920s, its an old but nice building, Waikari is a small rural "mostly farming" town.. not much there.

Even though I am not a "Hobbit" fan [Frown] I did sit through the first half of the film at the back of the hall until the intermission. Both Scope picture "looked fine" and sound was good. The hall has a flat wooden floor and has only very basic movable seating.... some do bring there own seats though [Big Grin] .

I started thinking, here I was sitting in a hall, with no digital sound, just mono, watching an image on a temporary screen as the local school uses the hall as well, no air conditioning, no fancy seats with cup holders....and you no something... the people I talked to before and after the film all enjoyed it. [Smile]

The future for the place might be uncertain, but it was a nice way to spend an afternoon.

Sitting there during that first half, and thinking thats how it used to be shown, for many of the elderly it must be a step back in time, when they went to watch films when they were young.
 -
 -
...35mm intermission tag was at the end of the first reel.
 -

Graham.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2012 11:10 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the film I liked it but I don't see why it had to be so long. and all the other future movies. I don't see it being the film with awards like LOTR. It has no love interest. Where is all the romance of the sexy female Hobbits or Dwarves??? The only woman in the film was the sexy Elf queen . I liked what Maltin said"The point of The Hobbit is to show how this unassuming fellow finds his inner courage. That shouldn’t take three feature films, let alone a first installment that runs two hours and 45 minutes. We get the point early on. Instead, Bilbo and the dwarves—whom I found indistinguishable from one another—embark on their perilous quest, only to encounter a group of hideously ugly monsters".

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2012 06:04 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you clarify for me what method of projection is the 48fps please?
Are the 35mm projectors running at that?
Are all digital projectors running at that 2D and 3D?
I use 3 cinemas for my cinema trips, 2 have 2K digital and 1 has 4K digital and all use the XPAND 3D system.
1 of them can also do Dual 70mm horizontal Imax.

[ December 17, 2012, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: David Park ]

--------------------
Regards,
David

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2012 06:40 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the 35mm is 24fps non 3d in scope

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Ronald Kwiatkowski
Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2012 07:56 PM      Profile for Ronald Kwiatkowski   Email Ronald Kwiatkowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I already noticed on some newer TV sets the awfulness of ridiculously high frame rates. Everything looks like a high speed shutter football game. There's nothing visually theatrical about it anymore, it's just cold, overly sharp and hectic. All my glorious Hollywood heroes now look like uncontrolled, wiggling plastic puppets. I hate it. Quite a personal view, of course...

--------------------
Vinegar belongs in the salad...

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2012 09:58 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ronald,

That's why I have a Panasonic plasma set... [Wink] None of that nonsense with over-compensated frame fill-ins, and great black levels. If it has to be Blu-Ray, it still should look as much like film as it can.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC