8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Who makes the studio previews? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Who makes the studio previews?
Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 02, 2013 09:21 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes but Heineken isn't RedStripe, just as Martini's aren't spritzers.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2013 06:36 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes but Heineken isn't RedStripe, just as Martini's aren't spritzers.
Bad analogy. Heineken is still beer, and one of the more expensive ones at that. At least he didn't drink Budweiser.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 02, 2013 08:13 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
The upshot is the subtlety done in the past, isn't done now, the
product has the star part, item carefully placed so the label isn't
obscured.Bonds were always known for Seiko watches,Colibri
lighters etc,but at least they were integral to the story.A bit like
the sponsors of the last olympics, MacDonalds & Coke Cola, the
food of athletes.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted January 02, 2013 11:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The belief is "louder is better", which is why music on the FM radio is now ridiculously compressed and at the point of overmodulation. Everybody wants THEIR song or preview to stand out and one way to do that (in their minds) is to make theirs the loudest.

About 10 years ago there was a committee that was formed to regulate the trailer loudness. They all patted themselves on the back and told each other what a wonderful job they did. I failed to notice ANY difference.

Before the committee I played trailers at 4 and the feature at 7. After the committee (and still to this day) I play trailers at 4 and the feature at 7.

Remember, very few theaters have the ability (or care enough to use it) to alter the fader between trailers and feature. That's your problem when it comes to audio.

Content-wise...that's an entirely different argument. Personally I try not to watch trailers anymore. They give away the entire movie.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2013 12:47 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...Personally I try not to watch trailers anymore. They give away the entire movie.
And when the movies wind their way to DVD, now we're trying more and more to avoid watching the menus if it's a movie we've never seen. They give away too much also.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2013 02:44 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least Red Stripe was drunk in Jamaica. I used to drink it in the UK, then they started making it here! [Frown]

Heineken could have worked on Skyfall. "Because Heineken refreshes the parts other beers cannot reach" [Big Grin]

Just sat through about five trailers on dvd, think aftr watching them that's why I DON'T go to see many new films/videos. They all seem the same, fast cutting, load and ott voice.

Do they use "CGS" for the new films/videos now?

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 03, 2013 07:48 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm suprised he could afford the downpayment on it on the
prices they charge.

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2013 04:04 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The upshot is the subtlety done in the past, isn't done now, the product has the star part, item carefully placed so the label isn't obscured.Bonds were always known for Seiko watches,Colibri lighters etc,but at least they were integral to the story.A bit like the sponsors of the last olympics, MacDonalds & Coke Cola, the food of athletes.
Yes, generally I have to agree with you on those points. In DR. NO, however, a Smirnoff label is plainly in view. But this is the exception rather than the rule.

Macallan is also featured very prominently in SKYFALL. Now that is definitely a drink that befits 007!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC