8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Facebook

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Facebook
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 05, 2013 07:31 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well for years I was quite happy to keep well away from it. Anyway my daughter said to me lately, why dont you join it...I replied, for a start I dont have any friends [Smile] but before I new it she got on the computer and that was it. [Eek!]

The funny thing was, the you-tube video I put up on my days working on aircraft, well someone picked up on that video for a facebook page "I never new existed" that was dedicated to the airline and before I new it I had joined that as well.

I also had some drawings that were done away back in the early 1990s, by someone that worked with us on shift long long ago and I had not heard for almost 30 years. I posted some of those drawings on that airline facebook and to my amazement the chap that had drawn them replied within a couple of hours, and more amazing was he still remember me.

I did feature in one such drawing [Eek!] he did not mind, and was pleased to see them once again after all those years, all this because of facebook.

The internet is amazing and a great way to catch up with people you have not had contact with in many years. Forty years ago I stayed with a family when I came out here and its only of late we have once again got in contact, which in turn led to a visit and catch up. Although it was nervous for me as "a lot changes in forty years" it was brilliant.

So....how do you feel about facebook?

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 05, 2013 09:09 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham...I love Facebook for keeping in touch with my friends and family. I chose not to use any of the applications...but I do post photos and videos. I'm much more likely to add a quick status report or like or comment on a friends post then to send a much more time consuming email.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2013 09:14 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it is okay I'm a member of Myspace and I like that better. It seems like facebook is cool for meeting people but your whole personal world is up there. When I did Myspace David Duchovny from X-files was my friend plus Tim Story director of the Fantastic Four, and many other celebs. Now its not like that it is to busy so stars are not becoming your friends unless it is a ad or something. I get more action on this forum then there.Oh well nothing last forever. [Frown]

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 05, 2013 09:37 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I feel that there is no substitute for actually meeting people, old friends or whatever,Facebook, myspace, call it what you will, would you sit next to a total stranger and reveal all your most private information, no I don't think so,then why do people
do this over a computer, I find it sad.Folks run away with the idea
that they have all these friends in cyberspace, and I understand
that you can suddenly delete them for new ones, how nice.Surely
a phonecall is a much better way to communicate than tapping
at a keyboard.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 06, 2013 03:13 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh,

There'a a bit more to it than that.

You're right - there is no substitute for personal communication either in person or over the telephone. Facebook is not meant to be a substitute for this. However, many use it as such and it does make me laugh when people feel the need to post every time they do anything or go anywhere.

It's been invaluable to me as a marketing tool for my music.
It's also invaluable to me for keeping in touch with my son in Australia and my family in Ireland.
So, it depends on how one uses it really.
[Smile]

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 06, 2013 03:34 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like facebook, as I find many nice pages with people loving the same thing ...

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/123457744477972/

Join in, if you decide to give facebook a chance ... Just click block to all the games requests, they can be annoying

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 06, 2013 06:27 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on there - an 8mm page occasionally coes up to - Say hello to Shorty if you get on again

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2013 07:23 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being of the "digital generation" I've been on Facebook for a while, but I have never felt the necessity to put my whole life story on there. I use it mainly to keep in touch with friends and family who have moved and/or whom I have moved away from.

It has it's ups and downs, but it all comes down to, in my opinion, how you choose to use it. There are those who make statuses everytime their "cute little adorable 3 month year old" makes a huge crap in the dieper, or feel the need to share it with all of us just how this years diarrhea looks and smells with updates on the flow every five minutes (these are actual examples, not even joking). And then there are those who use it privately, they don't share everything, they use in a more "restricted" matter and for purposes such as keeping in touch with friends.

Me, for instance, I use the private group function to share images with my friends and family from trips we have had together, and use the 8mm groups to upload images and share thoughts [Smile]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 06, 2013 07:40 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand folks like yourself Michael,Graham & Janice that
use it to keep in touch with your Family or friends, that seems
perfectly sensible and using a technology for a purpose, but for
some people I think it has become a substitute for actually
meeting people.The impression that I get is that people have a
barrier to feel safe behind,there's no contact,no eye contact,
no body language,in fact nothing that gives pleasure regarding
human interaction.A few weeks back,it came into it's own, when
a child went missing and people rallied round, putting out the
word for this little girl, again, thats technology working for the good and using it properly, but striking up these so called
friendships with people you've never met,exchanging personal
information,then at some stage that person is deleted from the
files comes across to me as odd.This world must be full of lonely
people, you see them everywhere tapping at those bloody phones,but would never dream of saying hello to the person sitting next to them, very sad.Stop the world I want to get off.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 06, 2013 10:38 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Facebook is awesome!

I'm sending you a friend request Graham!

Which one are you? There are a few from NZ. What is your profile pic?

PatD

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2013 12:14 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Pat 8MM is AWESOME!!! I think Myspace is better for me if you want your own web site and address that will get more views. I think facebook is for chit chat and meeting family and friends not business or career. My relatives never even email me I only talk on the phone with them or anybody else. I had a nice talk with Osi the other day I hate emails I like to talk to people face to face, or ear to ear. Some people can't talk to you on the phone they feel like you have invaded their space or something. I agree with Hugh that people hide behind computers now and have become impersonal with this face book on a social level. Actually I like web cam and only a few of my friends use it. It is a camera that you talk into and people see and hear you from the other side. Skype is the real new thing that will replace Facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/alvin.breathwaite like they replaced Myspace. It started with Myspace and that is still my favourite personal web page http://www.myspace.com/artistcaruhasa

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 06, 2013 01:23 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat
I have just added the same one to "Members Photos" [Eek!] as above. [Smile]

I must admit to still finding my way around the facebook thing, what I did not realize is that when its your birthday 61 last week [Eek!] it automatically pings it around.

Recieved a happy birthday from Pat Walsh and also one from the chap who featured in the airline video from the 1990s that I put up on you-tube.

Quote. "Happy birthday Jimmy ya old bugger, have a nice one!!"

That comment made me [Smile] and will have to catch up face to face one day. Its funny that in the 10 years I worked for that company I was never known or called by my real name, it was either Jimmy, Jock, or Haggis [Roll Eyes]

I certainly dont use it on a daily bases, but it has come in handy. I want to later dedicate a photo album to film and projectors.

When I came to New Zealand 40 years ago, the only way to keep in touch with my parents in the UK was writing a letter on a airmail pad and once you sent it you might get a reply in around three to four weeks thats how we kept in touch for many years. The internet is amazing for keeping in contact and I am sure had they still been alive they would be loving it.

Graham

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 06, 2013 01:43 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But you still didn't tell me what the pic is [Wink]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 06, 2013 04:54 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll friend you too Graham if you give me you profile name or just search my name and send a friend request :-)

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 06, 2013 05:52 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham

I found you and sent a friend request.

Jan

I got you covered. I suggested you as a friend to Graham!

PatD

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2013 06:45 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
· I am not on facebook.

· I am not going to be on facebook.

· I don't wish to be on a website that keeps changing it's privacy policy.

· I don't need a web site to communicate with my friends.

· I don't need to give access to personal information to a site that now must generate millions of dollars from our personal information to keep investors happy.

My friends know where to find me, and I know where to find them.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 06, 2013 07:29 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
There can't be many of us left Mitchell.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2013 07:40 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I can understand being connected to family that lives far away I myself don't use Facebook and I tend to share Hugh and Mitchell's viewpoint.

Bill [Smile]

P.S. Actually, this forum is the closest thing I would like to get to that resembles "Facebook" [Big Grin]

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2013 10:01 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I strongly agree with the last three posts from Mitchell, Hugh, and Bill. At least until they straighten out their privacy policies, and make it safer from hackers. I deleted my account after being on there a few months.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2013 10:46 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Mitchell ! Heavy duty! I guess I agree with Hugh ,Bill, Joe, and every body with indepentant thought! Long live 8MM forum! Why put more money in those college guys pockets? I still prefer Myspace I think? [Confused]

--------------------

Matt McBride
Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2013 10:51 AM      Profile for Matt McBride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Along with Hugh and Michell I am one of the few that doesn't have facebook and it's probably strange for me since I'm a young one, 30 actually. Though I do think it is great to stay in contact with family and friends you may not see on a regular basis, I know that's what wife mainly uses it for. I do, however, agree with Christian that there are too many "I brushed my teeth" and "I took a crap" updates on facebook. Nobody really cares if you had to decide between eggs and cereal this morning for breakfast. Like Bill said, this and film-tech are probably the closest on line social networking I'll probably have. That's ok though b/c this and film-tech are great things [Smile]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 07, 2013 06:15 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second that Matt,this little forum has been a benefit to plenty
of members, including myself,the wealth of information and
help that is available here, and free gratis,is worth all these
money making sites put together.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2013 02:19 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not intend to use Facebook either. Every so often yet another story surfaces on the News about it and they are mostly Negative. With all the Advertising and Privacy issues that it has, No Thanks! Also, since most of the family is deceased I have little use or need for Facebook and similar sites. I can see how some find it useful though. I have had the technology at my fingertips for years to keep in touch with others but they didn't have it or couldn't be bothered with it. I would rather communicate on a Forum like this where we share common interests. However, I am not opposed to having a Skype Video/Voice Chat with another Film Collector sometime. I have a web cam but it rarely if ever gets used. I made my very first International Phone Call several months ago to a Film Dealer in the UK and for me that was a delight though I had to look up on the internet how to dial the call. That is ironic too since I used to work for the phone company as a Directory Assistance Operator. The younger generation embraces the new technology with open arms as they have grown up with it. I myself can take it or leave it depending on what it is.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Matt McBride
Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2013 10:45 AM      Profile for Matt McBride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like your skype idea. It would be a good edition to talk with other film collectors other than just on the forum. Plus it will allow me to jabber with someone about it other than my wife, bless her soul for being so tolerate for my ramblings about it.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2013 07:09 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a lousy typist so a Skype Video Chat would be easier for me. I am not crazy about typing in a Chat Room. Plus, sometimes it would be beneficial to show a problem solution, suggestion, or a tip or hint to the other party in real time. I have only used Skype a little but it was not only easy to use, the quality was the best I have seen in a Video Call. In March, Microsoft will discontinue the Windows Messenger program and Skype will replace it. This Forum is like a extended Family to me. [Smile] If someone would like to try a Skype Video Chat sometime, send me a message. Imagine a Video Chat with Doug as the camera takes you into his secret underground Film Vault where the maintenance workers are all Bond Girls... [Wink]

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC