8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Whatever happened to Austin Holcomb? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Whatever happened to Austin Holcomb?
Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2013 04:57 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did he finally realize the jig was up?

|  IP: Logged

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2013 05:04 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing as his user, and all his threads/posts, have been deleted. I'd think so yes.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 11, 2013 05:09 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What did he do? Before my time here I guess

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2013 05:13 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused]

His posts are not erased.

Bill [Confused]

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2013 05:37 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Splain, Lucy, splain..... what happened?

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2013 06:06 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Austin is a real kid. He bought films from me and paid with his mothers account. He also sold film and posted pictures with his collection. I thought it was obvious he wasn't kidding, just asking a lot of questions...as all children do.

Greg, a kid named Austin Holcomb came onto the forum curious about film and projectors. Obviously he couldn't afford top prices for classic films but, it was upsetting to see others berate him and call him unnecessary names under assumptions.

Anyway, he's probably out there, back in school. We might hear from him during the summer, once school is out.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 11, 2013 06:10 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just put his name to "metal mickey" and no joy,has the lad
seen the light or done something sensible like turned to drink.
I'll miss the lad, he was very enthusiastic,but his education is
more important than film.

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2013 07:09 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's kind of funny I was just thinking about a week ago that he hadn't posted anything on here for a long time.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2013 07:13 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Austin is a real kid. He bought films from me and paid with his mothers account.
Oh OK, I was wondering if he really was a kid or not. I was really convinced he was someone having a laugh. But since you have proof, that's another matter. I support kids getting into the hobby. Wonder why his account was deleted. His posts are still around.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 11, 2013 07:26 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
What struck me with the lad was that he wanted to be a part of
the forum,but he would buy films just for the sake of having it
a short time, then it was up for sale, his Mum must have wondered what was going on.The main thing is, as long as he's safe and okay
that's the important bit.Another missing person,what happened to Akshay, he's not posted for a while.

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2013 07:37 PM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've sent Austin a free Castle horror film a year ago (Or late 2011) and he was much obliged. He then asked me if I'd drop the price of my Mountain feature King Kong from $100.00 to 30.00. I pretended to put my hand on his shoulder and say, "no chance, son".

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 11, 2013 07:44 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He had to be a kid: nobody with a high school diploma could fake "kidspeak" like his!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2013 07:47 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last post he made was back in October, he sold a horror film that went for about $100. Maybe he finally found King Kong or better, a girlfriend? [Wink]

I just sent him a PM and found his member profile here:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile;u=00002507

I think it's still active.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 11, 2013 07:50 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had and old Bell & Howell sound projector that worked and sent it to him free just to get him going. He was so thrilled and appreciative. He had a real interest in the hobby. I hope he comes back. I liked his enthusiasum.

[ January 12, 2013, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Pasquale DAlessio ]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 11, 2013 08:31 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Austin posted a couple of photos of his projector, screen and films in "Your Screening Room Pictures".

I hope he is alright, as I think its really neat that someone his age can find an interest is all this stuff.

Graham.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 11, 2013 10:21 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Austin's most recent post was on October 15th, 2012. His membership is still active and none of his posts have been deleted. I hope he's well and that we'll hear from him soon.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2013 11:30 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think he will eventually resurface. But besides school, perhaps he is working as well. If so, he may use some of his earnings to become active in the hobby again. I think that his parents have likely stopped financing his hobby. They are probably having to tighten their budget as the company his father works for was not doing well. Akshay is likely in the same situation as he wasn't sure in the New Year how his financial situation would be. I believe that was related to his job as well. Both will likely resurface even if its to liquidate what they have. I feel they are holding onto what they have till they are able to pursue the hobby again.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2013 12:04 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I loved Austin he would email me and ask me if I would sell him some Superman Cartoons. And asked me many questions about collecting I wanted to send him a extra film but never did. I guess he is back in school and we will hear from him soon. Akshay and I had some great talks and emails. He wanted to buy or trade films all the time. What did happen to him? Anyway I guess Vidar replaced them for now. But he told me he is going blind and may not have his sight for to much longer? So he may be the next to go??? I hope he is not upset I let the cat out of the bag.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 12, 2013 05:43 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi, that is the worst news I've heard in a long time, in fact I
had to re read the post.Are you sure that nothing can be done for
his sight,if it's something like Glaucoma, there are various drugs
that can benefit.That is indeed a tragedy, I know Akshay was training to be a doctor, and this must be heartbreaking for his Family as well. I just thought it strange that he'd been off the
forum for a while, but I never expected such sad news as this.
I'm sure that I speak for many forum members in hoping that
something can be done.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2013 09:20 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is quite tragic indeed, specially at such a young age! I know what it's like to have diseases and such looming around the corner, I am in a Parkinsons risk group and have occasional symptons (mild ones, luckily).

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2013 10:29 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you saying Akshay is going blind? I bought/traded from him and had a few conversations with him. He even called just to thank me for the film he got. What a nice guy for something like this to happen.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 12, 2013 10:55 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys, Akshay is not a Doctor as "calling Doctor Howser, calling Doctor Howser"...no he is a PhD candidate. On what subject?, I don't know.

But I just exchanged emails with him a couple days ago about sending my films from his place and I just received those films. He is doing fine but busy with his PhD program which he expects to be done in this April/May and promise to comeback to the forum after that.

For Austin, he is 13 (thirteen not THIRTY) years old in 2011. So you guys can see that even today he should not be allowed to open a bank account (or work).

This is one of his first posts and you can see his enthusiasm:

recording a movie to watch on 8mm

He is a kid like other kids that think he can do whatever he sees. Also he thinks he can trade everything with his own stuffs. My sons do this for trading cookies, toys, TV channel selection, etc. And once he offered ATARI games for a projector. I NEVER made a laugh of it because I NEVER made a laugh to my kids too. Did you?

So I treat him like other kids. All kids are the future of our lives and surely for our hobbies too, and if he has that high enthusiasm, it is a benefit for the old crack who are always saying "let's buy CAPTAIN AMERICA so this hobby may alive longer".

But unfortunatelly some members here did not take this seriously but in fact make a joke on him.

looking for a not so good-bad print of king kong

As in the above post, I rather re-write again the result of my investigation upon the curiosity of some members to him here:

quote:
... [a name] there is a google where you can trace who is Austin and I did it (like Alan did above) and I could find that beside films, Austin also loves to collect games (SNES, Sega, etc). I found it in several forums.

This is consistent with what he has expressed in this forum, plus also his 13 yo age. I can PM you the link if you need it.

Now in the other thread we discuss about to preserve this hobby by releasing new materials, but before doing this fantastic move (who say it is easy to spend $225 for a 34 minutes show?), have you done an easy job by respecting new bloods?

I never get tired to write a long answer email for questions from new members (newbies) about this hobby although the questions are sometimes too simple. Yes, because that does not cost anything, and I don't have $225 to spend on a film too.

My 2 cents,

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 12, 2013 11:44 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to contradict Winbert, but I'm sure Akshay said he was studying something medical, not that it matters, I just wish
him well and hope he's going to be okay.

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2013 12:36 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Austin.... I think he may have bought a trailer or caroon from me, here and there.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2013 05:42 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am partially correct in that finances come into the picture in both cases. With Austin, his parents have to draw the line somewhere to manage expenses. The family has 3 children and the father had to relocate due to the company he works for. I know this because we were going to meet when the family was here on a business trip. That did not pan out however simply because they were in North Charleston and I am in Charleston. Two different cities though they are adjacent to each other. He really cannot afford the Hobby but in time when things improve I believe he will return. Akshay's finances certainly do come into play when one considers the cost of medical care plus the cost of college. I speak from experience having to live at a low income level which fortunately provides me with the medical coverage that I need. I am sure we will hear from them both again and I wish them well.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC