8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Whatever happened to Austin Holcomb? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Whatever happened to Austin Holcomb?
Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2013 07:33 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh I meant Vidar Olavesen not Akshay I have not heard anything from Ak? It is Vidar I was talking about.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 13, 2013 05:01 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi, in your post,you said you had many talks and emails from
Akshay who traded films all the time and you didn't know what had become of him,but you guessed that Vidar had replaced them for now, but he was going blind and may not have his sight for much longer,The implication that it was Akshay that was losing his sight,you never mentioned speaking with Vidar, so leaving anyone
reading that posting that Akshay was the injured party.
Are you sure it was Vidar,which is tragic also.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 13, 2013 05:19 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is me, yes, but I do hope to be around for some 5-10 years. I am selling off my video game collection for collecting Super 8 and 16mm instead. It's caused by diabetes, and it's too long gone, but I can try to keep it at bay for as long as possible. If I have 10 years, that would be a decent time to get some movies watched. Hopefully I will get all my video games sold, I'd be able to go wild with reels and projectors (still wanting a GS-1200)

I hope to be bugging you guys for a few more years

Laksmi, no problem, I am very open about everything, so no worries, can tell anything as long as it's true

If anyone's interested in games, have a look : http://pokeysoft.no/games/

It's some 50.000 to 70.000 dollars worth of systems and games

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 13, 2013 10:32 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar,

I hope you'll be posting here for many, many years to come.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 13, 2013 10:39 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, very kind ... I hope to get as much as possible out of the time I am able to view movies. I did (do) love video games too, but it's just priority in reels now. I am more relaxed with watching movies than playing games.

I hope to be able to contribute a bit too when I know enough, so I don't just take advice, but being new, that's the way I have to learn. I'll hang on for as long as possible and I will get my wife to post here if something happens, I don't want the reels to be thrown or something.

Appreciate the concern, makes a big difference to me

Thanks again

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 13, 2013 11:34 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar, I am most sorry to learn of your predicament, and if there
is any way that I, and I'm sure other members may in any way
be of assistance, you must let us know.A terrible thing to be sure
and one that must take tremendous courage to adjust to.I hope,
to echo Dougs words, that you'll be here on this forum for many years to come.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2013 11:07 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a thread! A forum member just made me aware of this thread.

Since there has been so much concern, I will clear the air a little. I went off the forum as I was nearing the completion of my Ph.D. in Engineering. I haven't had any vision problems, lucky me. Anyway, it was time to complete that dissertation, edit those research papers and find a job. With all these done, I am back. In August I will be moving to Dallas. Until then I am watching the films I already own, making some purchases, trades, etc.. Let us see how busy the job will be, it is my first job ever. Will I have time for screenings? The onus of securing a future lies in the coming years. Any advice? Invest in stocks, homes? Or just invest in every 'Star Wars' print out there? [Big Grin]

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2013 04:48 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Akshay!

Actually, investing in the STAR WARS prints may turn out to be a good investment! They get good returns!

Bill [Smile]

P.S. Austin is back selling films!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 22, 2013 04:59 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never been thinking that buying films as an investment. I will get dissapointed if that does not happen. This is a collecting hobby.

--------------------
Winbert

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2013 05:23 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck in your first job. My first got me money to buy ELMO ST1200 and a few films, but hired loads in the mid 70's to mid 80's. Now self employed harder to get work, but more happy.

My dream a real ale pub with a cinema. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2013 06:27 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first paycheck will go likely go towards clearing loans from relocation expenses. Perhaps subsequent paychecks will leave more room for films.

This brings me to another question. Most members are older than I am. Can I ask for some advice on sustaining the hobby through my 30's, 40's, 50's and beyond? Honestly, I have been into the hobby for two years now and I was in absentia for a year! I feel time to project full-features is going to be a big issue in the coming years, and I am a full-features kinda guy. Should I start collecting shorts and digests? If some members could recount their collecting experiences over their lifetimes, it'd be nice to read. What were the challenges? How did the collecting affect family, friendships, etc.?

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2013 07:02 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert...tongue in cheek...my comment was lighthearted not serious...

Bill [Smile]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 22, 2013 07:48 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got it Bill... [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 22, 2013 10:20 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay - good luck but to be honest, I think it's a bit optimistic to ask "If some members could recount their collecting experiences over their lifetimes." I'm not speaking for everyone, but if I could actually find the time to do that, I'd probably need to get out more! Also, your chances of a reply are reduced by the question appearing in a thread titled "Whatever happened to Austin Holcomb?"

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2013 10:53 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, you are right. I am not expecting much of a response. The scope of the question I ask is as large as the image from 70mm film. If I was expecting serious replies, I'd have started a special thread.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2013 12:06 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay I am so glad you are back. My brother is an engineer and is in the process of retiring and he says he will only take a job if it is worth it. He has worked all over from JPL to Hughes Helicopter and many more. He works mostly on planes.

Regarding watching films such as features I will sometimes only watch one or two reels at a time when my time is limited. Then I will look forward to the next reels with anticipation. That way it seems more fun than forcing your time to fit in a whole feature. There are some digests I enjoy watching and of course my Tom & Jerrys get a lot of screen time. But that all depends on you. The 3D digests are a lot of fun as long as you get a decent print such as a SP print where it hasn't faded and doesn't lose the effect.

I'm just glad you are back and good luck in your job.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2013 12:43 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry, your brother-in-law may be in a field related to mine. My Ph.D. is on control systems design, it should make sense to your b-i-l. I envy him, working at those cool places.

Watching a couple of reels a night is an idea my wife and I have discussed. Most likely, we will do this with 'Gone With The Wind'. Acquiring cartoons is definitely on my mind. I am also looking for some digests of features we have already watched, 'Taxi Driver' is a great one because the full-feature doesn't exist on Super 8. Let's see how things pan out.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC