8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN Oh yes Mr Bond!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN Oh yes Mr Bond!
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 07, 2013 02:39 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at long last Never Say Never Again starring Sean Connery gets its UK Blu-Ray release on April 1st. The US had an issue out some time ago but the real question is will the UK disc be complete or will we have the small number of edits as per the DVD?

It has been a long time coming and a welcome release of a film which has a bit of a chequered past as far as the first cinema release and Fleming's trustees trying to block the film getting made which eventually got thrown out of court. The film making side of things is really interesting with some key names taking part including Sean Connery who had said he would never make a Bond again, but his wife had other ideas even coming up with the films title! At one point the film ran out of money, Sean also put much additional time into the production side of things to help out and on it goes.

We await delivery eagerly..

Never Say Never Again
Available 1st April Amazon £8

|  IP: Logged

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2013 06:51 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm lucky....I got hold of a low fade scope, apparently uncut, 16mm print some years ago. It replaced an older beat up flat airline print which had been edited to fit the 2 hour limit.
Was there some reason the video version was edited? I don't recall anything really objectionable in the film....UNLESS you count that horrid music score.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 07, 2013 07:37 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the main edits for the UK were around the horse jump sequence where it lands in the water and frankly the cuts were absolutely ludicrous, even for 1983. They actually spent some time setting up that scene reflected in Vic Armstrong’s book which also has pictures of it all, plus Vic is apparently a very caring horseman. Turning the clock back I guess a dummy horse would have been a better choice and certainly eliminated a hurrah from the animal rights groups. You could compare such sequences with many films today and Jingle all the way springs to mind where Arnie clouts a reindeer.
 -

Here is a scene that was UK cut. Thank goodness they showed the horse at the end!
http://youtu.be/rdgJsT7FTKw

And the music video. Seems like a nice girl. [Smile]
http://youtu.be/Mwm1H0dxAKY

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2013 01:18 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We also had a problem with "The Abyss" and the rats. It was screened on Channel 4 uncut and they got complaints about it.

While on NSNA in the scene with with Pat Roach when Bond throws the same jar at him. "I bet he drinks Carling Black Label" [Big Grin] More for the UK than rest of World.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 07, 2013 01:32 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I 've got to say that anything that involves creatures being harmed for an entertainment gets the thumbs down from me.
One film that springs to mind is "Hunchback of the Morgue", a
Spanish horror with Paul Naschy that has scenes where swarms
of live rats are set on fire, very distasteful.There have been films
aplenty where animals have been abused and even slaughtered
when they have escaped.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2013 05:32 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
youtube;

33 seconds to 40 seconds.

The rest is just crap set-up with equally rubbish blue screen.

So, was that a real horse?

Vic Armstrong? One of the best in the business?

Looks like a 20ft drop maybe?

Lee, can you reference that book for us?

Can't believe a bloke like Vic Armstrong would seriously endanger a horse, but still, it looks...interesting.

Ah, well, these day, it would all be CGI.

Oh, and Hugh, "Creatures Being Harmed For Entertainment"...wasn't that the tag for Big Brother. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 08, 2013 03:13 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vic Armstrong book 'World's Greatest Stuntman'

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 08, 2013 08:48 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to wonder just how many horses had to be shot after stunt falls in the thousands of westerns and war films that have been made over the years.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2013 10:29 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the subject came up:
In the original silent version of "Ben-Hur", apparently up to 100 horses were killed during the chariot sequence...the story goes that they weren't all fatally injured, it was just easier to put them down and get some more...all this courtesy of second-unit director B. Reeves Eason.

Eason got a second shot at mass animal cruelty with "Charge of The Light Brigade"...at this point, people started complaining.

It can be done safely with real animals, you've just got to know how (and care enough to want to.)

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2013 12:03 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't they tie the rear legs together and fasten a rope to them and set off at full gallop.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2013 12:52 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was the "flying "W" technique used in so many films, horrible stuff:
Loose ropes between the two front legs and between the rear legs, then a single rope in the middle tied to the other two and going back to a wooden post.

You measured out the trip rope from post to camera so it would tighten "in shot", then set the horse going full speed until the rope yanked all four legs out, resulting in the horse crashing down, usually on its neck...

It's easy to see when it's a humane takedown, because the stunt rider pulls the reins of the horse, turning its head, and the horse knows, from long training, to drop itself sideways to the ground safely.

What still amazes me is how long the "W" was allowed to be used.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 08, 2013 01:45 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which silent film was it that a bunch of people were drowned during a flood sequence? I forget which film it was. (sorry about getting off track, OK, back on track now ...)

I was surprised, upon watching "Never Say Never Again", to see that Rowan Atkinson, Mr. Bean himself was in that film! You tend to associate him with the 90's and beyond, but there he was as the agent in contact with Mr. Bond while in the "field"!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 08, 2013 02:05 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
The film you're referring to Osi, was "Noah's Ark",where huge tanks of water were loosed upon the unwary stuntmen, at least
three were killed, and many more injured.In the original "Ben- Hur", the Italian extras handed in their clothes and were given
the costumes, togas etc for the epic sea battle being filmed by
the second unit.Unfortunately one of the ships sank, the unit manager fearing that this would not go down well, had the extras
clothes burned,thinking that they had all drowned.Fortunately the men had swam to a nearby island and were rescued by a tramp steamer. On learning what had happened, the men
understandably were not pleased and MGM had to pay for their
silence.So obviously the studios were not that concerned with
human life, let alone animals.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 08, 2013 02:07 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The film you're referring to Osi, was "Noah's Ark",where huge tanks of water were loosed upon the unwary stuntmen,...
An excellent picture though. I watched it a few months back. I have a nice copy, complete with overture.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 09, 2013 08:18 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That must be a very rare print Michael, I've only ever seen it once
over thirty years ago on TV, which was very fortunate as I'd just
read about it in John Brosnan's book "Movie Magic".

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 09, 2013 12:44 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a film print, Hugh. DVD. I think it's available from Warner Archive. It's well worth buying.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 03, 2013 09:07 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never Say never Again is now out on Blu-Ray and wonder what people make of it?

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2013 11:58 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strange this topic should come up again now. I'm picking up a 16mm print of it tomorrow, although I have no idea yet regarding condition. I will post some pics when i've viewed it.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 07, 2013 02:17 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear you have found a 16mm print.
The blu-ray is excellent with a couple of nice docs on it as well. As expected the horse falling in the water shot is missing but hey a good job on the transfer.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2013 02:02 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee. My print had the horse dropping moment. I've never felt this sequence quite worked in the context of a Bond film. There's a similar horse sequence in Terry Gilliam's version of Baron Munchausen which seems to be more in keeping with the fantasy elements of that film.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2013 11:12 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like Never say Never is there super 8 trailer around?  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 15, 2013 03:50 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes there was a S8 trailer Laksmi.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted April 15, 2013 07:27 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's actually part of a This Is Cinemascope preview reel with Supergirl and a few others.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 15, 2013 07:36 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann did release the trl but it was a flat version, more like a
teaser, but the 2x600 'scope was a welcome addition.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC