8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » 3D TV the end (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 3D TV the end
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 18, 2013 02:01 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh well that was that...again. I see a good account of 3D TV was on BBC news as 3D continues to fall off with the manufacturers of the TV's complaing of very low uptake and consumer confusion over glasses and many TV's not even coming with glasses. The USA has only 1500 people [Eek!] watching it at any one time so its looking like this round of 3D is drawing to a close. The cinema side of things is not doing to sell either with regard to 3D with low foot fall figures.

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 18, 2013 03:40 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
History repeats itself Lee, all those facts that are recorded of past
events, things that worked and things that didn't, but no one
seems to learn. The sooner 3D ends the better.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 18, 2013 05:47 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, 3D is always something that media seems to fall back on when the industry has a struggle going on if it’s a recession, poor cinema attendances, low digital camera sales or even camcorder sales bringing on 3D camcorders to try and boost a closed market.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2013 08:30 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, true, but don't you just relish the idea of sitting back to watch Hitchcock's "Dial M For Murder" in full colour HD 3D, or "Creature From the Black Lagoon" in proper B&W 3D, on a big screen plasma??

Probably with the best 3D quality on offer since the 1950's?

[Smile]

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 18, 2013 08:57 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3d has it's place, but not in the home cinema. And even in the cinemas it has degraded. After Avatar, they all jumped on the 3d band wagon. However, the quality was just not there. They always try to find a cheaper way to produce 3d films and it just doesn't work. [Wink]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 18, 2013 09:41 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
In answer to Rob's question, no.The film if it's worth watching at all
doesn't need any gimmicks.I actually find the sound systems in
cinemas distracting and like sound coming from the screen with
the picture in good ol' fashioned 2D.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 18, 2013 10:22 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing to do with 3D, but Hugh, your mailbox is full, can't send you message. Just wanted to say thanks a whole lot and money is transferred

You are super (8) man

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2013 10:33 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh's mailbox is often full; he gets pestered by all those Bond Girls! They can't get enough of him!
[Smile]

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2013 10:36 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, I'm actually on your side; I find current 3D too much of a "gimmick".

But, sadly, that is because it is over-used. As in the 50's, it has now become the norm for a film to be 3D, even when it really doesn't warrant it, as opposed to being something special. I actually found "Avatar" a fairly average film at best, and the 3D was often presented in a worryingly immature manner, swirling cameras, et al.

When films (or is that movies, as many are now photographed digitally) bolt on 3D as a marketing afterthough, I think it's unnacceptable. Even when it is designed and shot in 3D, you often wonder whether it is time to re-think the language of cinema if you really want it to work...or just forget it and stick to 2D.

But "Hugo" from Scorcese worked in 3D.

Interestingly though, I recently watched Scorcese's "Shutter Island" and found it offered an extraordinary 3D-like quality from the superb 2D camerawork.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, yes, I mostly find 3D a gimmick, but in the right hands, with the right treatment, it can offer that something extra and a little bit special.

After all, cinema is in itself nothing more than a "gimmick", surely?

Indeed, I think defining a "gimmick" is difficult; is Cinemascope a gimmick? Is surround sound really a gimmick? Can you really watch, say, something like "The Empire Strikes Back" in surround, then again with just mono sound, and honestly claim the experience is the same?

If gimmicks don't matter, then maybe we would all be happy watching B&W movies in Academy Ratio, possibly even in silence with subtitles (is a musical score on a movie a gimmick??)

Point is, whilst the history of cinema shows so many innovations being used and abused, there is always that exceptional piece of work that fully benefits from a particular technology, whether it be a new type of lens, camera system, picture ratio, sound system, etc.

Just my thoughts. [Smile]

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2013 02:39 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me I'm waiting for "Comin' at Ya!" to be released on 3D [Razz]

Although I could be tempted with "Dial M For Murder" "House O Wax" if they still sell 3D TV's when I need a new one.

Did anyone see Jaws 3D in 3D? For me the best scenes were a crowd scene with the press interviewing people. That looked really good in 3D it was like you could walk down to the screen and step over into the scene. Pity the rest of the film was crap.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 18, 2013 02:48 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it really any surprise that the 3D phenomenon didn't last?

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2013 03:17 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er, didn't last?

Try and buy a decent TV without 3D capability.

David, if I recall, Jaws 3D was produced using Anaglyphic 3D and was a spate of movies in the 80's / 90's using this system.

3D in the 50's didn't use Anaglyphic, despite later re-releases.

The original versions were polarised, with 2 x 35mm projectors running polarised prints. Of course, this was prone to error, if one print was to go out of sync by a frame or two (a break that needed re-splicing, for example). - if only they had 4K digital back then! [Wink] [Smile]

Those horrrid red / green versions were dished out as cheap cash-in versions during the 70's.

Hence, films such as "Dial M", or "Creature" have never really been seen in their true 3D version for decades.

Last week , I went to the theatre to see a very expensive performance, and I kept instinctively shutting one eye... to see it as it was meant to be seen. [Wink]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 18, 2013 04:23 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am certainly impressed with the latest 3D movie I watched at the cinema "Life of Pi" [Cool] it was visually stunning to watch. 3D effects have improved a huge amount compared with years gone by.

There are quite a few 3D Blu-ray titles out now and if I had a TV that could show them, I would surely give it a go [Smile]

Graham.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 18, 2013 04:27 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Life Of Pi was an incredible 3D experience.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 18, 2013 04:42 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Er, didn't last?

Try and buy a decent TV without 3D capability.

I just did, Rob. No problem.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 19, 2013 06:45 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Vidar & Joe, my mailbox is clear now, Vidar I've just put your
western in the pigeon post, so that's winging it's way to you.
Joe, those Bond women only like to get me stripped off for a good laugh, women can be so cruel.

Desmond Godwin
Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2013 09:04 AM      Profile for Desmond Godwin   Author's Homepage   Email Desmond Godwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was a time -not that long ago when the centre piece in Currys
Tv and Video Dept. had the sittee with the latest Panasonic 3D TV,or other brand on display. In the beginning folk were queueing anxiously to get into the sittee and don the 3D glasses which were "only handed to you by sales rep." if you intended to sit in front of the set! Now when i visit Currys the sittee set-up is gone but the odd 3D set is blazing away and the glasses are free for all but no one looks intrested!
:Desmond

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2013 01:42 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Jaws 3D was filmed in proper 3D using ArrVision system. This was the polarizing glasses system. Wiki Jaws 3D
Jaws 3D Blu-Ray When I saw it in London it was full colour.

As Eddie Waring the rugby commentator used to say "up 'n' under"

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 19, 2013 01:59 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh had a good point. If a bad film has 3D added, it doesn't make a bad film any better, just more insulting to the viewer.

I've got to admit, I wouldn't mind seeing Avatat in 3D.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2013 02:53 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, David; unfortunately, back in the day at our local cinema in the North-East of England, we only had the anaglyphic version, which is why I remember it that way!

True, Osi, no gimmick will make a bad movie better, but I think that just because most 3D movies are bad, or don't warrant the use of 3D, we should dismiss it altogether.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 19, 2013 04:03 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will have to re-visit the cinema to watch this one again, but in "3D" while its on, its short run cinema release this coming April...looking good. [Cool] .... I cant wait. [Smile]
 -
Graham. [Wink]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 19, 2013 05:04 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I see the point you're making Rob,but it's become the "norm" now
that everything is in 3D, thus writing its own demise by becoming
a cheap common thing that as Des pointed out in his local high
street shop, that it was once a novelty, but now is an accepted thing, like colour TV.There's a saying that goes,"Give the public
what they want,and they no longer want it".

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2013 01:54 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about to sit down and watch "A Liar's Autobiography" on blu-ray. I see 3D is an option (which I don't have) but I'm sure it will be just as funny in 2 dimensions!

David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2013 03:59 AM      Profile for David M. Ballew   Email David M. Ballew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to respond to some of the statements here, hopefully in a spirit of friendliness and respect.

“The sooner 3-D ends, the better.”

With great respect, let me say that my opinion is exactly the opposite. But then you probably could have guessed that, Hugh! [Smile]

“3D is always something that media seems to fall back on when the industry has a struggle going on.”

Very respectfully, I regard this statement as a trope, repeated by unimaginative writers and film critics over the last 60 years. (When I speak of unimaginative people, I emphatically do not mean you, Lee.)

The early 1950s was certainly a period of contraction and retrenchment for the movie industry, and 3-D was indeed regarded as a possible way to stem hemorrhaging at the box office. But in all fairness, Cinerama, anamorphic widescreen, monopack color, stereophonic sound, and 65mm/70mm were also viewed as viable audience lures during the same general period. And no one disparages any of these other items as contemptible gimmicks born of desperation. Perhaps that's because they stuck around long enough to firmly prove their aesthetic worth... something 3-D is only just now able to achieve.

I will actually go so far as to say (if you'll permit me the use of a double negative) that the motion picture industry is never not struggling. Movies are a notoriously risky investment, even in the best of times. And frankly, not every producer is an artist or a born storyteller, and we cannot necessarily blame producers if they look for special enhancements to set their products apart in the marketplace.

“They always try to find a cheaper way to produce 3d films and it just doesn't work.”

With great respect, virtually all competitive industries in a free market seek less expensive means of production, whether they are making widgets or 3-D movies.

But, Pat, I figure you may have in mind some of the lackluster conversion jobs fobbed off on audiences in recent years. Cheap indeed! I agree that there has been some shoddy 3-D conversion work, but in all fairness stereoscopic conversion is still a young art form, subject to much experimentation and refinement. Moreover, free markets have a way of naturally weeding out inferior products, giving me great faith that conscientious 3-D conversions will survive and poor ones will fall by the wayside.

“The film if it's worth watching at all doesn't need any gimmicks.”

Couldn't agree more, Hugh. Sunrise and the silent films of Harold Lloyd are special favorites of mine. They lack color, sound, and wide aspect ratios, but they’re darn fine movies all the same. My position is that color, sound, and widescreen are not gimmicks unless treated as such… and in my view, the very same goes for 3-D.

“Is it really any surprise that the 3D phenomenon didn't last?”

Interesting that you should say that, Michael. I see 24 native-shot 3-D films slated for release in 2013, as against 16 post-converted 3-D films in the same time frame. That’s forty feature-length 3-D motion pictures this year alone, compared against fifty released between the fall of 1952 and the spring of 1955.

The Life Of Pi was an incredible 3D experience.”

I respect what you are saying, Paul, but for the record I feel that the framing story in Life of Pi was way too timid in its use of parallax. I frankly have seen deeper, rounder coins. I was bitterly disappointed with Life of Pi, but on the other hand I am glad that a critically respected 3-D film came along in time for an Oscar nomination.

Ah! So now I've gotten it all off my chest. Thanks for indulging me my little late-night rebuttal, gang. And let me underscore this: disagree with you though I may, I have profound respect and (if I may say so) brotherly affection for each of you!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 20, 2013 06:45 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave, and thanks for those very interesting views.I also have
a very high regard for my fellow members, it's like a small family
with all its trials and tribulations, no end of fun.When I said on
regarding 3D in cinema " the sooner it ends the better", I wasn't
meaning it in a vindictive way, but rather like sitting through a home
movie that someone has made with a new cine camera with a
10-1 zoom lens that they use like a trombone zooming in on everything in sight,until it becomes a chore to sit through.
Good film making doesn't need gimmicks, the award winning film "The Artist" uses the tools of the silent cinema as a gimmick.If all films did the same, then the effect would surely pall.The "added bonus of 3D" has been done to death, even in
it's heyday, it didn't really add a lot to the storylines,"HOUSE
OF WAX" being a prime example.Then the glasses were supplied
free to the patrons, now they are charged,unasked but paid for.
The film industry as a whole has backed itself into a corner and
is really grasping at straws,films are made for the teen audiences and quality has been forgotten.The question I always
ask myself "Would I want it on the bootlace" as a rough test
of its repeatability,including its 3D addition.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC