8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Syracuse Cinefest

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Syracuse Cinefest
Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2013 09:36 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a little over two weeks away. Who all is planning on attending?

If all things work out, I will be there. I do, each day, check my smart phone for the weather in Syracuse and I must say it is a little disturbing.

Cheers!

--------------------
Guy Taylor

|  IP: Logged

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 22, 2013 09:42 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How disturbing can it be, since it's a little ways yet till forecast-time?

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2013 10:17 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope a lot changes in the next two weeks. It is about 70 degrees down here on the Gulf of Mexico...little more to what I'm used to.

Regards.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 22, 2013 11:05 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, thought you meant up north here

Adam McCreath
Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2013 09:05 AM      Profile for Adam McCreath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just noticed this post and checked out the website. I would love to hear from other's who have been to this! Syracuse is only about a 3 hour drive for me from Ottawa; is it worth a day trip?

Are there lots of dealers set up? Is it a good place by buy films at decent prices?

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 05, 2013 03:25 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, you can check out the historical webpage on FB - Think it is CINEFEST.org or similar - Been around 32 years, many dealers and collectors converse over everything from VS to the earliest prints in 35mm - There is a large film-screening room, a Sunday auction. Hundreds show up to watch, trade and barter films - It really should be FILMTALK [Smile] Please come down and say hello - Shorty

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2013 09:33 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea Adam; you are just a hop, skip, and a jump away. I'm driving two long days from the Texas Gulf Coast. This will be my first time and I'm really looking foward to it.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Adam McCreath
Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2013 06:43 AM      Profile for Adam McCreath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I emailed Gerry Orlando, President of the Syracuse Cinephile Society, and he sent me a little extra info on it. It will all come down to how much money I have at the time...Gerry said the main focus is 16mm, which I am very interested in; however I have kind of switched my focus on to 8mm since it is so much more affordable....I would not want to go down without a few hundred in my pocket. I did get "permission" from the beloved DW (Da-wife) but I probably won't make the decision until the weekend of....if I knew there were going to be excellent deals to be had it would be more of a motivator for me to go. Gerry said they have about 40 dealers setting up shop including one major business that will take up an entire room all on their own (but all 16mm).

My experience with shows like this for my other hobbys; such as gun shows and golf expos; dealers seem mark their prices way up hoping to prey on the un-informed buyer who doesn't know any better....

Can anyone here speak to the quantity and quality of merchandice available at the Cinefest?

Historically has there been much in the way of 8mm and Super-8 for sale?

and; How about prices? Good? Bad? Average?

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2013 07:09 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found some of my best bargains at Cinefest. And one positive thing about buying there is that you can take a look at what you are buying.... most dealers have a projector and will run some of the films for you. I've gotten both 16 and 8mm there. One dealer, Alex Bartosh, always has tons of 8mm prints. And you won't starve to death. they always have free popcorn day and night during the convention. It's great fun. And at the auction at the end of the convention..Sunday morning, I understand that besides the usual things that people bring to auction off, there will be a major film collection on the dock as well.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC