8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » UK Pound's New Low

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UK Pound's New Low
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 01, 2013 09:39 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just announced that the UK pound has dropped to a new low against the US dollar. The lowest for two years. This morning the exchange rate dropped below 1.5.

This is good news for the Forum's American members who wish to purchase from ebay UK, or from British film dealers.

The rate did improve just above 1.5 this afternoon, but it still heralds bad news for any UK purchaser contemplating buying from the US.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 01, 2013 01:54 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Boo Hoo ...

Collectors in the UK have been able to buy rather inexpensively for years while US buyers have had to pay out the "arse" (as a general rule), for the longest time!

Let's see it drop further. Bad for UK, great for US

... However, UK dealers could always raise they're collective prices, so it does tend to balance out.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 01, 2013 02:25 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That isn't strictly true Osi, I've noticed on your ebay there are a
lot of over priced film items, the only people "paying out of their
arses" are the suckers willing to pay for them.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 01, 2013 02:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like what? Can't think of anything I have overpriced. Name one. (by the way, if somneone bids on it, it taint over-priced).

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 01, 2013 03:19 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

I believe Hugh was referring to the US eBay site in general when he wrote "your ebay", not specifically the auctions of Mr. Osgood!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 01, 2013 04:16 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Thankyou Doug, for instance, there's a guy there wanting,$3500
for a flat print of "PLANET OF THE APES", now that's inflation.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 01, 2013 07:10 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair, there's one on our ebay that has the idea that if its on
s/8 it must be sold for some ridiculous price, which I note no one
takes him up on.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 02, 2013 12:29 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know who your referring to, Hugh, bu7t I know that if the film will fetch a much higher price than others, (for instance, STAR WARS), I would be an idiot to put a buy it now of 300 or 500 dollars, for something that will easily fetch a 1,000.

I know that personally, I've always watched carefully as to what the "market allows" for a price and go with that. If a UK seller sells LPP or AGFA prints of classic Warners cartoons for instance, at 14 or 16 pounds, (around 25.00 US dollars, and that's not counting the shipping cost as well), then I put a starting bid of 24.95 on an auction for a great print in great condition, and if the person wants it right away, slightly higher with a buy it now option.

A good example of this is my optical print of "2010: The year We Make Contact". I bought that from Classic Home Cinema for 90 pounds around 5 or six years ago, which would be around 140.00 dollars. You factor in around 30.00 dollars for shipping, and my starting bid of 149.00 dollars that I had on it was right where it should be, especially for what might well be a one of a kind super 8 optical, (unless there are other prints of that title out there, but I have never heard of it, at least, not on optical super 8.

No hard feelings, Hugh! [Smile]

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 03, 2013 09:31 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lower sterling was something great when Derann was around but since Derann have gone I have not really purchased much of anything from the UK. I have purchased from Germany however.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 04, 2013 03:39 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi, no I'm not getting at you in anyway, but I'm just making
the point that the "poor collectors" selling on ebay,both sides
of the pond, some have the view that what they're selling is the
Crown Jewels, so I don't have too much sympathy with their
inflated asking prices.So the collector selling his "Apes" film for
$3500.00 is not to be sympathised with.The falling pound has
more to do with our own idiot Government that sells off any
business that makes money to foreign buyers.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 04, 2013 04:58 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you ever get chance to get along to a UK film fair you will see films and equipment available for very reasonable prices such as the recent Bolton event where a big box of Derann films were selling at around £7 a reel. The ones I purchased for my own collection were just about as new and of course we could look at every item in the room prior to purchase which is very important to me at least. We are blessed here in Great Britain with a good number of film fairs including the excellent BFCC and the North West Film Collectors weekend, yes a whole weekend of film collecting and entertainment and you wont get that on fleabay folks or the camaraderie! The British magazine ‘Film Collector’ helps keep us all in touch and also a real help also for those who for one reason or another cannot get out and about so easily. We also have British DVD releases about our hobby from Keith Wilton which are fascinating, and even my own media business has put a few together from time to time. OK the pound may not be doing so well, but boy are we the hub of cine still? Yes we are, and I wouldn’t put Austria that far behind us either with a phenomenal following of Eumig products over there which they are also proud of.

Criswell predicts!
The pound will improve and horse meat will only be found in huge burgers overseas.

Carry on projecting folks.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2013 05:19 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes some of the prices wanted are ridiculous on e-bay take these for an example of OTT

With all the films I bought over the years I lost my AAA rating years ago, now junk status [Eek!] The major problem buying from US is the cost of shipping, that's what stops me now.

Sure I remember at one time we got somewhere around $2.50 for £1 also went down to $1.10 too. That's from about 1980 to 1990's. I think you my find this link interesting? 1940's

Its not the dollar that's my problem, it's the baht for Thailand that makes my time there a lot more expensive. Although last time I bought dollars as it worked out better value. Wonder if they ever had super 8 films there?

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 05, 2013 02:05 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
His auctions are a little confusing. I looked at the "Close Encounters" 400ft and the screenshot shows spot on color, but the description says that it is fading. I don't know the person, but I wonder if he is using screenshots from perfect color prints to advertise non perfect color prints.

If the person is a member of this forum, we would certainly appreciate his feedback, as i certainly don't want to discredit the person and I have been known to be wrong from time to time.

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 05, 2013 02:57 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
There's one on our ebay now that's a scream, a little 200' behind
the scenes of the making of "O.H.M.S.S." the Bond epic, and this
guy wants £199.95 + £4.95 postage, the cheeky bastard, not even free p&p.i made a mistake with the "Apes" movie Osi, it
wasn't $3500.00, it's $3800.00, a steal at the price.I wonder
who actually buys them?

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2013 12:31 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking of selling all my films I could be a millionaire soon [Eek!] Then I could buy all the films I wanted. [Big Grin]

I would never part with my films. I have sold some of my dvd though.

Film has a real magic. Like steam engines.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC