8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » THE COLOUR BLUE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: THE COLOUR BLUE
Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 01, 2013 07:38 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed on this forum of late, the criticism of films that have
a blue caste, eg; " The Empire Strikes Back", "Fantasia 2000"
on the bootlace, but no mention of how the professional cinema
prefers this blue colour caste to cover up their "Dodgy" special
effects ala the "Lord of the Rings" extravaganzas. Comments please.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 02, 2013 12:36 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've hated this bluish caste to the color spectrum of modern features, (Hugh, if you would like them, I have the screesnshot comparison from original release to the re-release of "Empire" as a WORD file, please let me know if you would like them)

Way oversaturated. If your speaking of super 8 prints, I haven't seen a feature print of "Empire" with a bluish caste. However, I have seen the 400ft LPP print of Empire part 2, and it certainly has a bluish caste to it, most noticeable in the space shots.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2013 06:53 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better blue than pink [Big Grin]

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2013 07:09 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago I had an Empire print that had a blueish-green cast but it wasn't the German version as I have a print and it is perfect.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 03, 2013 07:48 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got an "Empire" from that print run and your right Larry, absolutely spot on!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2013 10:12 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you wanna see annoying bluish casts you should check the first "Resident Evil" film. It's like it was filmed through seven billion cyan filters.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2013 12:25 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, I think the original lab prints from studio negatives have a little better control over color than our reductions; everyone would've been seeing blue at the cinema for years if that were a problem.

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2013 10:39 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an interesting article on color timing for home video, specifically the new 3D Blu-Ray of Top Gun:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/the-3rd-dimension/update-on-top-gun-3d

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2013 05:29 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
5 Annoying Trends That Make Every Movie Look the Same:
http://www.cracked.com/article_18664_5-annoying-trends-that-make-every-movie-look-same.html

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 15, 2013 09:55 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian, has picked up on the point I was trying to make, in that
modern film has this theme of BLUE in every film of the fantasy
genre, and we as the paying public accept this, the de-saturated
colour that would have been done as well if not better in B/W.If
we accept this as the norm in modern cinema, then what argument against the eastman faded prints that appear on the second hand markets? At least they can to a certain extent be colour rectified.If blue is acceptable, what's wrong with red?
Osi, that is most kind of you to offer these comparisons, but
my skills with technology are limited,

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC