8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » A Vertigo - 2001: A Space Odyssey 70mm double Bill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Vertigo - 2001: A Space Odyssey 70mm double Bill
Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2013 03:59 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Went to see a couple of classic films yesterday in glorious 70mm at the TIFF Bell Lightbox in Toronto.

First off was an afternoon showing of Vertigo. From the closing credits I gathered this was a Vistavision to 65mm transfer with a restoration done in 1996 for 70mm showings (credits went a bit fast so I hope I got that info right).
Although it was a lovely print it did a have a few lines and flaws and for some reason there were sound dropouts at reel changes. The thing that most impressed me here was how incredible Bernard Hermann’s score sounded. In comparison, the last film I saw in the theatre was Django Unchained with the most horrible digital projection I have yet witnessed. Don’t get me wrong, I have seen great digital projections but it just goes to show it also needs to be done right.

Left the venue with a smile on my face.

Time for a quick snack, want to get an ideal seat for 2001: A Space Odyssey.
The announcer tells us it will be shown in its original roadshow presentation with a 10 minute intermission. Lights dim, curtains are bathed in gaudy red light as the overture music plays. Curtains are drawn to that wonderful MGM logo on blue background.
Ok, I admit, I was looking for any kind of flaws in the print. After (barely) noticing a few light lines in lighter scenes I became so enthralled in this gorgeous print I can honestly I forgot about looking.

I like many of us, was introduced to this movie on VHS video and then later DVD but I now felt like I’ve seen it for the first time. I can see how the “stargate” sequence ended being a great topic of discussion (and other things) back in 68.

Daisy……………….

So, I’ll just repeat what we all always say….long live film.

Cheers
Terry

For interest sake here is a link to a PDF of the TIFF’s cinema/projection specifications.

And a link to a real review from Now Magazine in Toronto

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted March 11, 2013 05:16 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry

Great post and links. I saw that in Cinerama when it opened. It was AWESOME! A real eye opener. [Eek!]

PatD

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2013 10:07 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Pat years ago I had a beautiful Super 8 mm color trailer of the movie in scope in my collection and I sold it . I blew it!! [Embarrassed]

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted March 12, 2013 09:00 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi

We don't always make the right decisions in life [Wink]

PatD

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 12, 2013 01:44 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have that trailer as well, Laksmi. Bummer to trade it away years ago. [Frown]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 12, 2013 02:07 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have mine on the same spool as the "Planet of the Apes",
makes a nice 'scope double bill. The letterbox one is on the sci-fi collection with "War of the Worlds","Journey to the Centre of the
Earth etc.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2013 11:49 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wanted sell it? [Wink]

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC