8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » "Twin Peaks", and why it's the best TV show ever made

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Twin Peaks", and why it's the best TV show ever made
Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2013 08:07 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So me and the missus are currently watching "Twin Peaks" again, for the second time since iTunes re-released it in glorious HD, and it only helps reiterate what has been my solid opinion since I first saw it when the Gold Box DVD set was released: Twin Peaks is the best TV show ever made.

Why?

I have seen so many shows, hundreds probably, but TP is the only show that actually forces me to think, to listen, to grasp all the details and draw my own conclusions! And I love it!

As I'm writing this, we're about to watch Season 2, Episode 4, with five episodes left of the Palmer-story, before moving unto the more massive arc that covers the backstory, and I just can't put it away!

I can only imagine how it was to watch this back in 1990-91 when it was released, when TV was still a "primitive" medium compared to film. Twin Peaks is maybe one of the only shows that challenges film in terms of story telling and quality!

Anyone agree? Disagree? Viewpoints?

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted April 07, 2013 08:13 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to agree, but after Propaganda (I think) took over, it turned to quite a mess. The opening episodes (I think it was up to 8 or 12) was really great

David Lynch is weird and wonderful

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 07, 2013 09:59 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was hooked on the show when it first appeared way back then. It was something else.
[Smile]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 08, 2013 12:07 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought the show overblown and odd.TV was never primitive in the 90's,there were some award winning TV series
produced in the UK, that leave "Twin Peaks" at the starting gate
in terms of acting & quality.It's arrival in the UK with a bang but
it left with a whimper, I suppose the characters like "the log lady"
and dwarfes talking backwards were a little too much for audiences over here,apart from the very strange way the detective
work was achieved, through ESP no less.A good example of style over not too much substance.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 08, 2013 12:12 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Vidar, that first season was absolutely amazing. The second season was fun but it seemed like the writers had no idea where they were going and the show was weird just for the sake of being weird. Mr. Lynch's feature followup, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me was a mess.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2013 01:36 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the network was really pressuring Lynch to reveal the killer and he did not want to but gave in and that is why the show went downhill...the network got its way and Lynch was not interested in the project anymore and it died.

By the way, I really like the show too and I have only seen season one...I like David Lynch as a filmmaker. He is an amazing artist, one of kind.

Bill [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 08, 2013 09:57 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disagree [Big Grin] ...."M.A.S.H." is and ran from 1972-1983, "my all time favourite." The final episode was the most watched episode of any Television series....it was timeless stuff back then and still is, in constant TV re-runs. [Wink]

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2013 10:14 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Douglas, I agree with you on FWWM, but then again; Lynch had to cut it from over 5 hrs to 2 hrs 15 mins (according to IMDB, he told a fan at a convention that the original rough cut was 5 hrs 6 mins), and that really made it into a mess.

I have read the script, leaked unto the internet, and it really made the movie something else once I read about all the missing scenes.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 08, 2013 10:16 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely the best TV show from the US must be "Star Trek", that
has spawned many spin off series and features, you don't need
to be an academic to enjoy it either.

Bruce Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2013 03:02 AM      Profile for Bruce Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham -- Right on !! M. A. S. H.

--------------------
Bruce Wright

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2013 11:48 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess this shows that we all have different tastes, but I happen to like all the afore mentioned shows.

David Lynch is incredibly talented. Many people don't like the "wierdness" of his work. I happen to like his overall style of film making. Some are certainly better than others. If you like his style of wierd film making, be sure to check out his earlier works- "The Alphabet", "The Grandmother", and of course, "Earaserhead".

James.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC