8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Tadley Film Fair.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tadley Film Fair.
Stuart Hoare
Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2013 06:07 AM      Profile for Stuart Hoare     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. Does anybody know if the Tadley Big Screen Time film fair is on this Saturday 13th April?

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2013 06:17 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Topic here says its cancelled Tadley due to ill health.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 12, 2013 06:32 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were really sorry to hear Geoff had not been so well and were also set for the trip to Tadley for this really pleasant event. I’m hoping all is OK for next year and perhaps some locals are able to offer him that extra hand. It’s no mean feat putting on a film fair as I know only too well as we approach the 5th East Lancashire Film Fair on the 27th April. My wife and I arrange it and all the tables practically solo let alone the run up to it all and the day end face putting the rooms back clear again which is exhausting. When we started our fair 5+ years ago it soon gave us a new appreciation of the hard work all who put them on in the UK and globally do in order to make the magic happen.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2013 08:26 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sadly, last year was the final ever Tadley. Geoff Wheeler confirmed this in the most recent edition of Projections magazine. Here is that letter to Pete Travers (editor) :

It was with much regret that I had to cancel this year's Big Screentime presentation due entirely to health reasons. I now realise that age has now caught up with me (77) and after my fall in November resulting in hospitalisation, I have made the decision that 2012 was the last Big Screentime. I have sold my 12' scope screen to David Guest, so those of you who go to Blackpool will be able to enjoy a first-class presentation.

It is the end of an era for me, after twenty one years and thirty five presentations. Initially at the Cinema Royale in Tadley and then at The William Penney Theatre. I met some wonderful friends and thoroughly enjoyed every moment.

My sincere thanks and appreciation to my friend and projectionist for all the shows, the inimitable Dave Locke who attended every presentation. My thanks to all the dealers who supported me; Buckingham Films, Tony Hutchinson, Pinedene Films, Rake Films, The Cinema Museum and, in the early years, Classic Home Cinema. Thanks are also due to regular helpers Barry Littlechild, Bob Nicholls, the late Maurice Andrews, plus Dennis and the Bring & Buy team. To yourself (Pete) and Projections Magazine, Tua Film Services and previously Silver Screen Magazine for their support and publicity. And finally to all of the film enthusiasts who regularly attended the shows from all parts of the country.

I will continue to send out my 16/8mm Sales List, to those who are interested (SAE please) I hope to meet up with you again at Keith Wilton's annual BFCC at Ealing. Geoff Wheeler, Hants.

Very sad news; it's the end of an era for me too. It was ALWAYS worth the hours and hours of driving to get there. The late great Warton Parfitt first introduced me to the event when he asked me to help on his stall. After his sad demise I continued to attend and always thoroughly enjoyed the event. There's many a film in my collection that has come through the hallowed portals of Tadley...where else in the world could you attend a cine do held at an atomic weapons testing plant...the A. W. E and it's clicking radiation counter (which could be heard outside of the cinema area!) are now just a memory, but what a memory thanks entirely to Geoff Wheeler.

[ April 12, 2013, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Simon McConway ]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 12, 2013 09:25 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's really sad - I'm sure Geoff would have liked to be able to hold one more as a 'goodbye'. I must also applaud his achievement in holding so may of these highly-entertaining events. The fact that many of us made the effort to get to a venue far from any town reflects their distinctive appeal. Unlike most film collecting conventions, the emphasis was particularly on the shows of vintage material, and Geoff certainly came up with some extraordinary and rare films. Having said that, the dealers were a bonus and some weird and wonderful objects seemed to turn up there that you would never see anywhere else! At least the 2012 event ends it on a high note, with the largest number attending for a while.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 12, 2013 10:21 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for that Simon. Age catches up with everyone but as far as the event goes someone may dive in to start another you just never know.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2013 12:12 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad news indeed I shall really miss the yearly Tadley event and Geoff must be applauded for keeping it going for so long in this digital anti Film day and age.

His programming was superb and you could always guarantee that some rare films from Geoff's archive would be shown on the day.

All the best Geoff [Smile]

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2013 12:18 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's hope he gets well soon. Must be an amazing man to organise a film fair in 2012 at 76 years young. I once tried to do a film show in a local hall, it never got off the ground, due to bureaucracy.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 12, 2013 01:41 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the 2006 Tadley 'Big Screen Time'. It was a very friendly little convention, on a smaller scale than the BFCC. Ken Locke was in charge of the film and digital presentations, and as usual he put on a great show in that pitch black William Penny theater. I also met Wharton Parfitt there, and purchased some Pathescope bits and pieces from him. And Tony Reypert was showing off the Buckingham 9.5mm projector.
All in all it was a very happy venue, which I am sure will be greatly missed by the UK collectors.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2013 06:38 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder if anyone turned up at Tadley today?! They can't subscribe to any of the magazines if they did, or read this forum...

When Derann closed, the Blackpool Film Fair moved hotels, from The Savoy to The Cliffs. I heard of one collector/dealer who turned up at The Savoy, heard the fair was cancelled and then went home...he hadn't a clue that Derann had closed down. A disgrace on his part, when you consider the amount of publicity in the cine press and on this forum about Derann's sad demise.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 16, 2013 06:15 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It’s difficult after spending a year to arrange a film fair and getting traders to turn out then having to cancel at the last minute due to a major crisis. Getting the word out must have been a nightmare and cast your mind back before the Internut when event arrangements had to change. Fingers crossed Geoff is mending and will soon be back to fine fettle. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC