8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Centennial (classic mini-series)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Centennial (classic mini-series)
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 28, 2013 06:45 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're just finishing watching (for the unknown number of times) the mini-series from the late 70's, "CENTENNIAL", based upon the James Mischner Novel.

I know most people look to ROOTS being the greatest miniseries, and it's certianly not bad, but I have always adored this mini-series.

I think the reason why I love it so much is that, instead of using all of the nation to tell the story of the growth of the US, it instead, centers around one small area of land and one town, Centennial. You begin with the age of the first non-indians to run around the land, the fur trappers and they're relationship with the then un-dishonored Indian tribes. You travel through time all the way from the early settlers to the 1970's.

This was one of the first films to deal with Indians that dealt with some of the more unknown truths about Indians and they're relations within themselves as well.

... but, it's just seeing this one little area grow over a period of 200 hundred years. I'm still moved by the sadness of seeing the river which "Pascanel" trapped beaver on, now, in the 1970's, littered with trash and refuse. Quite sad.

This miniseries is so long, it takes 7 days at three hours per night to get through, but it is well worth it.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 28, 2013 07:37 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read the book years ago, I enjoyed it so much that after that I read most of James Michener's books.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 29, 2013 03:49 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember watching that series back in the '70s, when TV was
worth watching,without the mindless rubbish that seems to clutter our screens today, a thoroughly emjoyable show,far
superior to "Roots" in my opinion.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC