8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » RIP Ray Harryhausen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RIP Ray Harryhausen
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 07, 2013 12:13 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the movies you gave us

Will be missed

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2013 12:39 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just posted on what watched last night. I watched The Early Years.

It's not often I have tears, but that sad news made them appear.

He his THE film man who got me really interested in films. After watching "Jason And The Argonauts" while at school .

As I started work and had money I bought a ELMO ST1200 and hired some of his films over the years.

When Derann did "Jason" complete I bought it. Lucky to also have some on 16mm.

I still marvel at his work. All the time he took to make them perfect.

Goodbye Ray We will miss you. Thank You for your films.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 07, 2013 12:52 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a really big loss to all us kids who ran to the local theatres to watch his latest work - Hope Turner runs them all - My 1st was JASON '63 - Loved his work since then - I think many of us who have a print of this will run it later in memory - Shorty

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2013 01:01 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my fondest childhood memories are because of Ray.

A sad day.

Thanks for everything Ray.

Terry

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 07, 2013 01:13 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Real sad news for us to, growing up i always looked out at bank holidays to see if Jason or Sinbad films were on TV.
To this day the battle with the skeletons in Jason & the Argonauts is still considered by the indusrtie as one of the best special effects achievments, & no CGI or computers in site, all done with the skill of a movie craftsman. RIP

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 07, 2013 02:45 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
A very sad piece of news that I still am trying to get used to, the
King is dead, except theres no one to take his place.Ray was
unique indeed,he kept fantasy film alive when fantasy films were
not in vogue, long before the Star Wars series were thought of.
He did well reaching 92 and had the knowledge that he and his
films are still well loved the world over.Indeed I had just been watching the latest DVD release Special Effects Titan the other
night and was thinking when he celebrated his 90th Birthday, he had a party and the author of his tri volume homage to Ray,
Mr Mike Hankin attended, I had asked Mike if he would take a
card and a DVD recording I had done of all Ray's TV appearances on UK TV being interviewed since the mid 80's
which I'm sure would have tickled him.The last time I was in
conversation with him was '98 at Bray 2, where I had him all
to myself for a good ten minutes.Well the Great man has gone
and what a loss to the world, his films will live forever as long
as there's a projector to light them by.Farewell "Uncle" Ray,may
you Rest in Peace. Condolences to Diana and Vanessa at this
very sad time.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2013 09:36 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Legendary visual effects pioneer and stop-motion model animator Ray Harryhausen has sadly passed away he was way over 90. He was one of my dearest friends. I will miss him.  -
 -
 -
 -
 - THE GODS WILL WELLCOME HIM.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 08, 2013 03:26 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
His creativity and artistry will never be equaled.

RIP Ray. [Frown]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 08, 2013 05:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad to hear this over the radio while we were in the mountians. So many fantastic memories! It's too bad that he didn't get to complete that last film he had in the works which I think was entitled, "The Elementals". Am I right about that?

Nice long life to live into your 90's!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 08, 2013 06:06 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the film you have in mind was "Force of the Trojans" Osi,
but that as they say is something we'll never know. "The Elementals" was a very early idea that also never saw the light
of day except for some artwork and short experimental film.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2013 06:36 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ray for giving us magic on film and help creating my love for the movies.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2013 12:20 AM      Profile for David M. Ballew   Email David M. Ballew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off, Laksmi, I love your artwork. What a marvelous visual tribute to such a wonderful man. And everyone else, I second everything you've all had to say. These are very moving tributes indeed.

Here's what I posted on my Facebook page on Tuesday:

"Today a great hero of mine died, Mr. Ray Harryhausen.

"Most of you have no idea that Mr. Harryhausen was the creative mastermind behind such critic-proof fantasy films as Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, Jason and the Argonauts, Mysterious Island, and the original Clash of the Titans.

"A very few of you may remember those stop-motion animations I created in 8mm when I was a kid. (Remember? I snagged a couple of Eastman Kodak awards for my humble efforts, back in the day.) My inspiration in making those was Ray Harryhausen.

"I'll never forget the stab of joy in my young heart when I saw my first stills from his film Valley of Gwangi. Cowboys versus dinosaurs? Oh, heck yeah! Maybe only a 9-year-old boy can truly appreciate such a thing... but I'll tell you, that 9-year-old boy is still right here, and still enthralled.

"I met the great man once, at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. They put him behind a table right at the door. He greeted us fans, signed our various books and memorabilia, and somehow found a moment to chat briefly with each and every one. By all accounts a deeply gracious man, he seemed genuinely touched when all I could think to say to him was a heartfelt 'God bless you, sir.'

"If you'll permit me to say so, I believe that God has blessed all of us by giving us a man like Ray Harryhausen. Yes, there are weightier and more 'important' things than his movies, but my life has been made richer by the simple, virtuous fantasies he brought to the screen, handcrafted one frame at a time.

Yes. God bless you, sir."

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 11, 2013 08:49 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My little salute to Ray, which was the headline letter in today's Orlando Sentinel:

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2013 06:11 PM      Profile for David M. Ballew   Email David M. Ballew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

I think you really captured what makes Harryhausen such an important figure in the pantheon of fantasy filmmakers. You put it across in such a way that most any moviegoer of today will be able to appreciate Mr. Harryhausen and his contributions, even if they never heard his name before now.

And I reckon the Orlando Sentinel agrees with me. Good on them to have given prominence to your fine letter.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 28, 2013 07:49 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed on the IMDb that there are a few queries as to why the
recent demise of one of the Worlds Greatest Special Effects technicians received no coverage. In the USA, I understand not a mention,except for
CBS who got it wrong by saying he worked with clay figures,
doesn't anyone do research anymore?
We fared no better in the UK, we had 20 seconds,count 'em, on
the BBC, with a snippet from "Jason".
Amazing that the myriad of "talking heads" that frequent his
DVDs have no comments to make, obviously if theres no pay
cheque, theres nothing to say.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 28, 2013 08:54 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hugh,
I can't speak for other US cities but The Orlando Sentinel devoted half a page to Mr. Harryhausen's legacy. Then a few days later they put my letter as the lead in the Editorial page letters section.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 28, 2013 09:52 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Full marks to your goodself Paul and the "Orlando Sentinel", as for
any coverage over here,it's as though the man never existed.
Of course everything takes a back seat to the national religion of
football here,where the retirement of Man Utd's manager was given
a half hour coverage on the news,followed by a 10 minute tour
of a bloody ABBA museum!

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2013 01:01 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, The Yorkshire Post had half a page too.

Your right about "doesn't anyone do research anymore?" It should be a lot easier now with all this so called information technology.

As a remembrance to Ray I have watched the one with the sextopus, until he said that no one knew about it. Anyway it didn't spoil my viewing, in fact I appreciated even more, why put something on that would be under the sea anyway.

I have also watched quite a few of his black & white ones. I still enjoy more than some of the modern rubbish.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC