8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » VIsa's and shots ect, for traveling to the UK?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: VIsa's and shots ect, for traveling to the UK?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 30, 2013 07:56 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My family is hoping to head over to the UK in October for the BFCC (there are rumors that this could, perhaps, be the last, only rumors, mind you), and I need to know, from Yanks who have headed to the UK and back, as to ...

How long ahead of time should we prepare, (how long is the process?

What will we need?

What shots will we need?

Fortunately, were going to an English speaking country, except for Irish, HAHAHA! Eh, don't give me crap ... I'm Irish! [Smile] ), so language isn't an issue.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 30, 2013 08:13 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
The following is based on my experience:

1. Book your flights ASAP, now if posible. The longer you wait the more you will pay. Dont wait less than 3 months ahead of time or you may not be able to get the flights you want at ANY price.

2. Book any hotels ASAP

3. Buy American Express medical travel insurance for everyone who is going. Its cheap, and eliminates a lot of worry. The free British healthcare system does not apply to visitors from abroad.

4. If you are not comfortable driving on the left hand side of the road with a 5- speed manual shift, in congested areas with minimal parking space, then forget about renting a car. The UK rail and bus system is fantastic, and makes the US system look like a joke. If you do want to rent a car, get an automatic (rare in the Uk).

5. Get your passport NOW.

6. The only shots you will need is the cineitis shot, but only if you are going to the BFCC.

7. Take an umbrella! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2013 08:38 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will need an English Phrase Book and a "REAL ENGLISH" dictionary, as we speak "proper" English.
Not sure why Paul thinks you will need an umbrella; I haven't used one for about 30 years. However, it is rumoured that you could need one if you visit Manchester.
If you wish to travel about the country, but are NOT hiring a car, then consider carefully the possibilities of using National Express Coaches (our nearest approach to your Greyhound network). They are VERY much cheaper than train travel, but MUST be booked at least a day in advance; you can rarely be sure of a seat if you just turn up at the coach station... see www.nationalexpress.com .As Paul says, travel by bus, rapid transit or tube within cities is generally excellent. And DO NOT expect to catch a train where you see the word "Subway"; you will either get something to eat or find yourself on the other side of the street.
If you get to BFCC, wear a name badge so everyone knows its you.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2013 08:41 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on Paul, you can be Osi's guide. You know you want to!
Seriously is there any chance you can make it this time?
Even if the BFCC continues it may well be my last visit ( health problems) so it would be good to see you again.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 30, 2013 09:25 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the UK the subway is called the "Tube".

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2013 10:25 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But only in London.

Osi if you do visit I may visit myself. Although I live in the UK I have never visited the BFCC, only Blackpool from about the second one. Keith is one of the champions of super 8. I think he edited Derann's "The Great Escape" fantastic job.

Not too bad today no need for umbrella! Osi if you do visit you MUUST try some real ale.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 30, 2013 06:01 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Osi if you do visit you MUST try some real ale.

Maybe Mal can haul some Brain's Bitter up from Neath! [Smile]

-

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 30, 2013 07:41 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi

Take gum boots "wellies" and heavy wet weather gear.... and they do talk a bit funny as well, so a good Dictionary that can translate different types of dialect is essential.

As far as shots....yes....get EVERYTHING.

Dont forget though, if you get a chance to visit North of the border, "Scotland" that is....its more civilized and well worth a visit [Cool]

Graham. [Wink]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 31, 2013 07:35 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Lads, but I'm a Irish Cream (or just about any cream liqour) fellow. I used to be able to chug some beers, (8 to 10 at a sitting, and still stagger home!), but they don't sit well anymore, not even four, but Liqour, for some reason, goes down easy ... oh so easy!

However, if one of you fine lads will provide the pint or two, I will not insult and say no. besides, I've never have a proper english brew, so, for all I know, I might do well ...

(and I've never been not able to walk home on my own two feet and I'm not a beligerant drunk, thankfully! I'm quite passive!)

DISCLAIMOR!!! OSI is NOT an alcoholic! (hic)

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 31, 2013 11:17 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi

Most leading car hire firms have automatics, but it's best to book in advance. I recommend the Volkswagen Golf Automatic, it has a fabulous 7-speed gearbox, and if you're in the mood you can select manual mode (no clutch.)

But unless you are familiar with the British roundabouts at major road junctions, often traffic light controlled, I suggest you stay clear of car hire and use the savings to buy just that last film.

If purchasing a projector, make sure it will work in the USA, our mains are 230 volts at 50 hertz/cycles. Most have various voltage tappings, but some haven't; the motor may rely on the mains frequency to run at the correct speed, some can achieve the change to USA 60 hertz/cycles by slipping the drive belt onto another pulley.

I hope you and the family make it to Ealing.

http://www.bfcc.biz/

--------------------
Maurice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 01, 2013 07:34 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we wouldn't be tempted to buy a projector, just films. I'm thinking of the overall cost of getting it back to the states, and taking it in the baggage section of the airlines? I have seen enough of the "apes" who handle baggage to be scared off from that for all time. (It's a good thing that I don't see what happens with my postal packages, eh?

I hope that were able to make it as well. I'm tempted to have my sister babysit our two children and just my wife and I would go, as my Sister would be overjoyed to watch our kids and that would also take a lot of extra problems out of traveling.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 01, 2013 08:17 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've seen on 10 hour flights to the UK, babies and very young kids can be an absolute nightmare, both for parents and fellow passengers.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 01, 2013 08:31 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you lads have a great time and the weather keeps nice.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2013 09:59 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Know what you mean about the baggage handlers. When I used to visit in America in the 80's, we used to fly TWA to LA and then to San Francisco. While we were waiting for connecting flight we used to partake a few beers and watch the planes. The tractors that pulled the luggage used to speed around dropping luggage off here and there., but no where it should be.

I think the bar had a Hollywood theme, I spent a few hours there waiting.

Osi how long are you planning to stay here?

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 02, 2013 01:37 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking an hour ....

(snicker)

I'm hoping a good week. I have a few plans and I might as well state them here ...

I have a plan, (and I must talk to all that would be involved if they wish to) ...

I want to travel to the different surviving super 8 sellers, Barry, Ian, Umit, Tony, Paul and Phil, among possibly others.

Now, much of this could be done right at the BFCC, but I want to visit the actual store sites with my HD FLIP camera and just have a ball interviewing this odd but loveable lot!

Of course, I'd have to talk some fine lad in the UK into helping me find these folks, but I want to make a nifty documentary about these crazy people and why they still hold to a long dead medium (?) like celluloid!

Fun, eh?

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 02, 2013 02:03 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Pauls emporium is a fantastic view Osi and Phils place is THE Aladdins cave of not only film memorabilia but also British model steam trains! Fascinating stuff eh! ha ha.No but seriously Osi if the trip comes off do get in touch. I worked in the US for 16 months circa 1998 - 2000 in Mahoopany and Georgia and had a fantastic time and met some wonderful people that shall stay in my thoughts forever! So the very least us northern collectors from Old Blighty can do is show you a good time and lots of hospitallity when you arrive (work commitments allowing of course). Best of luck and hope you get in touch nearer the time.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC