8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » "House of Cards" UK versus US versions.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "House of Cards" UK versus US versions.
Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2013 02:00 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the original on its first airing in the 90s. Perfectly timed ( by coincidence) with the end of Thatcher's reign, I have always foumd the UK version fast paced, compelling and told with wonderfully dark humour. Much as I admire the Kevin Spacey version and it does look great, it's relatively slower in pace, has too many story threads and many of the supporting characters have been altered for the worst, in my opinion. I was wondering if anyone else has seen both versions.

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 03, 2013 09:23 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It's usually the case when the US copy something that worked
something always goes wrong,be it comedy or drama,they can't
pull it off.Take the show "Men Behaving Badly", which was funny
but naughty, the US tried it,changed it, sanitized it until it no
longer resembled what the show was about.That doesn't mean to say that the US doesn't have funny shows,far from it,"Frasier"
"Everybody Loves Raymond","Just Shoot me","Third Rock From the Sun", the list is endless, but trying to emulate tried and tested, forget it. As for Kevin Spacey thinking he can come close to Ian Richardsons' portrayal of the wiley Prime Minister,
as Francis Urquhart would have said,"You might say that, I couldn't possibly commemt"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 03, 2013 01:52 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I haven't seen the UK version I have nothing to compare it too...but Kevin Spacey is the only reason I watch it.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2013 03:45 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am actually enjoying the US version and to be honest, if they got rid of the "you may very well say that, I couldn't possibly comment" phrase and changed the title, it would be an almost entirely different show. I agree, Hugh. Ian Richardson's portrayal will never be surpassed. The original was strangely overlooked in the awards department at the time. That's a pity because, in retrospect, it's one of the best dramas the BBC has ever produced.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 04, 2013 08:18 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the reason it was probably overlooked Jonathan,could
have been a political one.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2013 05:18 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's awards ceremonies for you, Hugh! I gave up all faith in them as a kid when Bafta awarded best comedy film to "Rising Damp the Movie" over "Life of Brian"!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 04, 2013 07:44 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the reason for that Jonathan,would be the religion
thing, Rising Damp is very funny, but "Brian" was pushing
boundaries, I too lost faith in the Oscars when they were given
to "Marooned" & "Bedknobs & Broomsticks" over the Harryhausen
masterpiece "Valley of Gwangi".

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2013 08:43 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very true, Hugh. Marketing is a big thing too, of course, especially in the USA. Big wads of money are used to promote films "for your consideration" at Oscar time.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC