8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Pirated film (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Pirated film
Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 16, 2013 12:04 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Just shows how advanced the various techniques are. A far cry
from the pirate video my mate loaned me,that he had purchased
in Spain, of "Jurassic Park", that was just about unwatchable,
blurred picture, unintelligible sound, and people moving about
going to the bathroom.

|  IP: Logged

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2013 12:13 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the same reason streaming services are still not up to the quality of BluRay. Most of this is due to artificial restrictions on bandwidth.

BluRay rips are usually up to 15mbps. The actual BluRay can be up 50mbps. Huuge difference if you project it on a screen. Of course many many many more people will just watch this stuff on their iPads and laptops so they won't really notice.

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 16, 2013 02:50 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to put this thing back in perspective, the pirating, crime thing
not that I'm a gangster, has always been there, during the time of prohibition, war was declared on Mr Al Capone, resident bad guy, but at least he provided soup kitchens for the starving poor, which is more than
the City Fathers of Chicago did. Proving, that everyone has a good
side, which is more than modern politicians have. Or is Doug gonna delete this thread too.
Piracey has gone on since man, the antiques following is tortured
by the fakes men, long before the Chinese latched on, this is
something that is now out there,I don't have too much sympathy with a locksmith that tells you how to pick a lock
then offers the same knowledge to all and sundry.The problem
is now the technology is working against them.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2013 04:29 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't even read the terrorism part before I replied! [Razz]

I very much doubt that pirated films fund anything other than the pockets of those doing it. As someone who has grown up during the "age of piracy", I have seen everything from DVDrips to cheap Chinese DVDs, and at 50 cents/1 dollar a pop, they really don't fund anything. It's maybe a 10-30 cent profit for the seller, nothing more.

Pirated films funding terrorism is quite a stretch at best. If that WAS the case, then most pirated films would be from the parts of the world where terrorism is a problem, not China and Korea.

Ernie: In 2011, during a two week sick leave, I copied all of my DVDs to my computer to get shelf space. I "ripped" them all at 2000 kbits video and 256 kbit MP3 audio, because that was ideal as a size-quality ratio for a DVD. That made most of my films around 1,8 GB for two hours (so 900 MB/hour), and with very little quality loss, at least when viewed on my 46" TV or laptop (17"). You are of course very right when it comes to projectors!

I compared a 1080p film streamed via iTunes (7,5 mbit) to a BluRay (50 mbit) of the same film, both with projector, and it was a monumental difference!

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2013 04:32 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also the loss of revenue to the film companies, and royalties to the actors. America must take some of the blame for this, they dominate the internet, and virtually every programme that you download is American. One day out of curiosity I searched to see it it was possible to override copy protected DVDs, and found a programme called DVD43, there are others.
A few years ago I purchased a box set of the Russian Sherlock Holmes , Vasily Livanov: one disc had a region error and would only play on the computer. It was too long to fit onto a blank DVD, but I found another free programme that reduced the size, without any noticeable (to me) loss of quality, and I was able to view the films on the TV.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 16, 2013 04:51 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to put myself out on a limb here, but the USA, YES
the USA, has a lot to answer for, regarding piracey, me, I LOVE IT
you have this empire that you don't like anyone to mention, but
it's coming back to bite you in the arse, can't be bad.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 16, 2013 09:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I blame Wyoming! They wear big hats and ride horses, they must be up to something! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2013 07:55 AM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just saying to not discount the possibility of it funding big criminal activities. The funds are probably laundered, moved around and disguised as to its origin, and put into the pockets of people and organizations that help fund and support more criminal acts, terrorism included. I work for a bank. We hear of similar things like this all the time, while trying to prevent it. It is not an impossibility that the big business of copyrighted material piracy is included. We, on this level, the consumer, is not going to see it. If these types of criminals can find a source of cash to add to their bigger cash flow pot, they will do it. Just sayin'.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2013 09:08 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ernie, you asked... "How exactly do plan to prove that BitTorrent funds terrorism? The highest volume of bootlegs (telesync, DVD/BluRay rips, and DVR rips) are put into consumer hands through torrenting. Simply because peer to peer networks are fast and pervasive. How does a free pirated download fund terrorism? Perhaps you misspoke when you said "download." Perhaps you were generalizing?

I don't condone piracy in principle and there are many ways to state how and why it shouldn't be done. I've never heard any claim, read any article, discussed with any politician, attended any panel that would substantiate the idea that it (free piracy) funds terrorism."

It's not the act of (free) downloading or free piracy in general that funds illegal activity, including terrorism, it's the SALE of the pirated discs produced from those activities that produces the funds. "Piracy" by definition is the stealing of the money due to the "intellectual owner" and diverting those funds to the benefit of others. Making copies by whatever means for one's own purposes WITHOUT paying for the source material is straightforward THEFT... because that also deprives the intellectual owner and his agents of their just remuneration.
Most people will come up with a variety of reasons why doing this hurts nobody (in order to justify their doing it) but the plain, unvarnished truth is.... it's THEFT.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2013 10:00 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin my post was directly in response to Greg's claim that downloads fund terrorism. You're are making my point. PLease read the whole thread before responding.

In regards to theft VS piracy, your pedantic correction may be technically correct but this conversation has been going on since the age of Napster and theft and piracy have been used interchangeably. Correcting my vocab is adjacent to the issue. I'm trying to argue that torrenting as a funder for terrorism is a baseless claim.

--------------------

Six and Bisti

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2013 10:14 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I started this thread I didn't imagine it would lead to arguments among members; maybe I should pull the plug on it. I think the subject has been well covered.

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2013 11:50 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry. I just didn't appreciate the terrorism claim.

It's that kind of Reefer Madness-esque paranoia that propagates perceptions of the U.S., like the one that Hugh shared.

These "War on..." campaigns have made the U.S. look like a bunch of imperialistic, violent, and fearful stooges.

Some of the folks in this entertainment industry tried that approach with SOPA. And it failed. Because many more of us think there is a better way to handle theft and piracy.

Greg, I don't dislike you and if you're on this forum then you're probably a nice guy! I'm very close to this issue as a filmmaker, a digital rights activist, and as someone who's close to the people who directly influence and actively participate in the legislation/policies surrounding these issues. I don't appreciate arbitrary claims when they are so extreme. Terrorism is horrendous. Claims of its activities and funding sources shouldn't be thrown around so casually without concrete proof.

DONE

If you'd like to continue this conversation send me an email!

--------------------

Six and Bisti

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 17, 2013 02:47 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something in the air lately that steers topics in a certain direction.....

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2013 03:01 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ernie, I don't want anyone to fall out over this. I just thought that the fact I ended up with a film that had been copied inside the cinema would make an interesting conversation piece.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 17, 2013 03:11 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend thought he was doing us a favor gave us one of these including people walking back and forth and snippets of conversation during the movie (Actually, It was a lot like being at the theater...)

About the best you can say for it is we liked the movie, so we bought a legit. copy and enjoyed it much better!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 18, 2013 02:38 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arr me hearties....
 -
[Smile] ...just kidding
cant see the point in pirate "dvds" dont have any and wont support it.

Graham.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2013 03:16 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you need to when we finally have top quality versions of movies available to us at home in less than 12 weeks of release.

BTW, sorry to repeat this point (and I'm certainly not going down any sort of "grey" "terrorism" route) but if you think you can just buy a dodgy disc thinking that some hookey bloke makes a few quid out of it at best and comfort yourself with that, then let's hope you are right; because generally you are not and are funding all sorts of illegal crime.

I've seen stolen digital master versions ********************* ...sort of violations. EDIT: Upon reflection, I think it best to re-tract this part of my post.

Sleep at night.

Or just don't buy this s**t.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 18, 2013 05:27 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see the point of pirated DVD, they're quite reasonably priced for a decent copy. I can remember being told by my late
Brother in law, that when he worked on the oil rigs, that there
were copies of films shipped out to them for viewing, that on the
mainland hadn't been in the cinemas, this was also backed up by
my mates that worked on them.

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2013 06:05 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Rob. Criminal activity for profit, funds other criminal activites, whether directly, or indirectly. The chain is hard to trace at times.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2013 06:11 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once spent an awful time post-surgery in a Chinese hospital...
A mate bought me "Iron-Man" ...brand new UK cinemas, totally illegal, but very convincing copy, until I realised when the morphine wore off, it was an illegal copy and the the English "hard-of-hearing" sub-titles were hilariously bad!!!

Sorry, but please don't even entertain this rubbish.

Because, at the very least, a stooped Westerner will burst their stitches!!! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Greg, I know I'm making light of a serious subject, and I stand by my comments.

Don't buy this rubbish, there is no point to do so.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 19, 2013 02:25 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Hugh said, original authentic DVDs are so cheap these days there is no point in buying inferior unknown copies which could be pirated and illegal.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC