8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Murray's Wimbledon Win

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Murray's Wimbledon Win
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 07, 2013 12:14 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to Andy Murray and all UK tennis fans - a British win finally after a 77 year wait! What an incredible, nail biting, final game! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2013 12:48 PM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant. Plus Andy can remain British for a bit longer (whenever he loses he becomes Scottish)

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2013 01:57 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though a continual joke in the media, I have tried this scottish jibe on several people, but it fell flat. Women just don't have that sense of humour.

John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2013 01:57 PM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He really has become the finished article, and you get the feeling that these new heights are totally down to honest hard graft.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 07, 2013 02:06 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have reserves on this bloke, a couple of years ago in an interview regarding Wimbledon, he said "im not doing it for England in doing it for Scotland", Nuff said,

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2013 02:39 PM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had he been english thy would not have called him Brittish

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2013 04:00 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scottish or British, its an amazing feat. I remember many years ago when he was starting to show potential, I never thought he would win a grand slam with Federer and Nadal at their peak, then he won the US Open. And now he's won Wimbledon. He could go on to win many more with Federer coming to the end of his career.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 07, 2013 04:18 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love Wimbledon. The tennis is fabulous, and the setting is the best in the World. Watching it on TV, it seems like everyone is so polite and civilized. It's wonderful PR for Britain. I have always resented Jimmy Connors and John McEnroe, as tennis ambassadors for the USA, for the ill manners, arrogance, and plain bad temper that they brought to Wimbledon and other venues. Of course McEnroe is now a commentator for ESPN, so he has had to mellow his bad attitude, but I have never forgotten how ugly he made the USA look.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 07, 2013 04:21 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i completely agree there Graham, my only niggly point of my comments was that hes not proud to be British, just Scottish, his Mother also often tells him quote, "remember your Scottish", yet he comes to England for the fame of the Wimbledon win? So much for united Kingdom [Big Grin]
When someone makes a comment like he did about not doing it for England or Britain, but Scotland it makes me seeth a bit, [Wink]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 07, 2013 04:36 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched this as well! Just finished in fact.

Magnificent Murray!

It took a good long time, but Murray has finally done it! My hat's is off to all those in the British Isles and as a half Irish/British myself, I am quite proud this day!!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2013 05:00 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I agree with you Tom also. Didnt Murray say a while back about football that he wanted England to lose in the world cup. Something like that.

Graham S

John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2013 05:01 PM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Murray quote from last year..“In tennis, we represent Great Britain and I have done it now for 15 years, through every single age group.

“I have always loved the team competitions and been proud of representing my country but obviously still remember my roots. I love Scotland, but I don’t get wrapped up in all of that stuff any more. I just enjoy competing for my country and I hope I did a good job of that.”
Sounds fair enough to me.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 08, 2013 02:16 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Tom, he's the epitome of the dour scot.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2013 08:53 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wikipedia states that Murray attended Dunblane Primary School, and was present during the 1996 Dunblane school massacre, when Thomas Hamilton killed 17 people before shooting himself. Murray took cover in a classroom. Murray says he was too young to understand what was happening and is reluctant to talk about it in interviews, but in his autobiography Hitting Back he states that he attended a youth group run by Hamilton, and that his mother gave Hamilton lifts in her car. I think that having to live with memories like this is enough to make anyone "dour". By his diligence and hard work, Dunblane is now known for something wonderful and positive rather than the earlier horrors that it was associated with. He is a splendid role model and will hopefully inspire other young people to follow in his footsteps and achieve whatever goals they strive for.

Paul.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 08, 2013 10:19 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Take the point Paul, but I WEARY, as i'm sure many English folks
do, of this DIVIDE in our country, foisted on us by Anthony Blair.
When the Scots started painting their faces blue, since the historically wrong Mel Gibson film, my view is, the line is drawn,
give them home rule.When England was in the World Cup, not
one of the Scots people on TV , wanted our country to win. Give them what they want, and reduce our tax burden.As for "dour"
explain Gordon Brown,perhaps another failed graduate of charm
school.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 08, 2013 12:09 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to Andy Murray on his Wimbledon victory over the number one player in the world.

Members please bear in mind the "no politics" rule of the Forum.

Thank you.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 08, 2013 12:19 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I take the point Doug, Congratulations to a very outstanding player, but as already been stated, not for my country.Although
when Paul remarked about the USA players at the time, they added colour, and were much loved by the BRITISH public at
large.Mc Enroe,, the cheeky Bastard has got himself esconced on the BBC commentary, good luck to him.Having said my piece, the
Scots folk I've worked with are very nice people, but there are the
type that want to cut themselves adrift, ( a bad move in my opinion) Sean Connery springs to mind, who has never lived
in Scotland in the last 50 years!

[ July 08, 2013, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Hugh Thompson Scott ]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 08, 2013 01:39 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC