8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » How many of us do this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How many of us do this?
Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2013 06:04 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering how many own the film, then buy a DVD after, or vice versa. I have 'Oh Mr Porter' on super 8, then bought it on VHS, then when it came out on DVD I purchased that. At the time it was announced that Errol Flynn's last WB film 'The Master of Ballantrae' was coming out on DVD, I saw a B&W 16mm print, and decided to have both. One of my more recent purchases from Paul Foster was a 16 mm copy of Flynn's 'Charge of the light Brigade', even though I have it on VHS.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 11, 2013 06:40 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do it all the time.

It's not always practical to watch on film, sometimes it's simpler to just pop in the disk. Besides, the players in my laptop and minivan are not friendly to Super-8.

The other way, I have a lot of movies on video that I know would be great up on the big screen, when I get the chance to get one of them on film I go for it.

[ July 11, 2013, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 11, 2013 07:14 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, but I at this time in my life, want the reels. If I have it on DVD/Blu-Ray and find it on Super 8, 16mm or any reel actually, I'd love to buy that. Still wanting Twins of Evil, I do have the DVD, but want the reels

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2013 07:31 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was the reason for me buying DVD, in that it is not always convenient to get a projector set up. I sometimes upgrade to DVD because VHS can have its problems, such as tracking. When I got some VHS tapes out recently the music warbled but the conversation was ok, so I don't know if the problem lies with the tape or the player not being used enough.

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2013 09:58 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi!fellas let me join you,i got it dvd all the samefilms i got in super8,because it,s more praticle,easy to watch,and the most important,is to save the prints,every time we submit a film runing it,s a bit of deteoration even slight,that,s wy a want to keep the films in best stade is possible cleaned with film guard in storage them in the cool,maybe it can sounds strange,but that,s why they stii keep theire color,no scratches,all my films have been run no more than twice...

regrads:
luis caramelo

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 11, 2013 10:59 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure it will wear on it, but I want to enjoy them while I still can ... Might be more important to me, due to the problem with my eyes. I'd do Super 8, 16mm or 35mm over DVD anyday

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 11, 2013 11:30 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
No, my view is enjoy them while you can, thats what they're for,
to show on a big screen. The main reason I get DVDs of a film
I might already have, is for the documentaries etc Especially on the "Dollar" films, where they have a "then & now" of locations
used.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2013 01:27 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bond DVDs have a lot of extras. I especially like seeing how the special effects were done, also the Ray Harryhausen collection. Luis, I thought I was the only one who had a collection that hasn't been projected more than twice. I will give some of them an airing when I have the house to my self in October; I get annoyed when having just started a DVD my wife says 'Can you make me a cup of tea?'

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2013 02:05 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVD is a godsend. Usually (not always) excellent print and sound quality, and so convenient. Now and then, though, I've just got to get the projector out. It's a different experience altogether. Perhaps it's a comfy recollection of the days when we had a film show at school in the fifties, and my envy that although I had my Pathe Ace at home, this great machine at school was far out of my own pocket.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 11, 2013 02:17 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I don't get the real film feel with DVD's. That's the first thing I noticed when I got back into reels in November how lively the reels are compared to the DVD

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 11, 2013 02:30 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Showing a film on a movie projector is actually work. Even though I'm set up most of the time there's still threading up, turning on the audio system, pulling down the screen, running the film, adjusting the framing, focus, volume, and tone (If not bass and treble) If there are multiple reels there are multiple projectors so the process get repeated again and again. Then there is the turning off and putting away.

(This is what makes it a hobby...)

DVD is easy: my kid could do it when he was three years old. It's just the thing to do when you are on your last legs after a long day.

Beyond that? Turn on the History Channel and don't even care what's on!

--------------------

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2013 03:16 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the enjoyment for me Steve, doing something physical, focussing, framing, the sound of the machine, the rewinding at the end. The lubricating of the film, maybe adding some extra leader. Have you noticed nearly everything we buy now says 'No user serviceable parts' Some of my happiest days were coming home from work and finding a pile of yellow Kodachrome envelopes on the mat. I would run them through the projector, number the reels in sequence, then splice, lubricate, rewind on a large reel, then sit back and enjoy my holiday film.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 11, 2013 03:18 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hear hear ... Agree with you there ... All a charming process ... Love the whole experience which is film like it's supposed to be

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 11, 2013 03:40 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can spend hours sitting in a boat (trying) to catch a fish that you could get at the supermarket in about 10 minutes cleaned and ready to cook. You can spend multiples of the cost of that supermarket fish on fuel for the outboard motor and maybe have to stop on the way home and buy a fish anyway.

If you look at this the way most people look at showing films on a projector, why on Earth would anyone ever go fishing?!

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 12, 2013 04:12 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to go sea angling too, but standing in the wind & rain for
hours on end soon loses its appeal. There's a certain "magic"
to setting up,selecting your films, then settling down for an hour or two, no adverts, no news, just YOUR choices.Seeing them as
they were meant to be seen, on a BIG screen in a dark room.
I can't understand, after having bought a film,why you wouldn't
want to screen it again and again,its like buying a favourite book
and being terrified of reading it,just looking at it on a shelf.
Thats what they're for, they "live" in that instant you put them
on show, enjoy them while you can.

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2013 09:04 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi!fellas ,here i am again,i do love super 8 as mutch you all do,maybe in different way,for start,i do have a screnn with 10ft
that,s the size where i do also screen my digital movies,it,s true in deed every comments,i do like to screen super 8 ,but there,s also who makes me feel happy it,s the fact i like to preserve the prints as mutch as possible,because after several years to me it,s great to got the film ingood condition,and keep
is content in well stade at least to my collecting films dose,t mean you have to runn them many times but to feel satisfaction
in pocess the piece,if i want to see film reptable,i runn dvd
i know it,s not the dame,but let,s face it the majory of digital
movies as best image and sound,i like super 8 as a perfect gauge
to get home cinema,i understand many fellas,who prefere to runn
a digest of 400ft instead the same title full lenght indigital
not me,that,s the razon a collect full lenghts...
i like to see the movie like the directed cocebid,between a digest in super 8 and a full lenght in dvd a prefere dvd(but this,s just me...
i do respect all the opinions,after all we love super 8

regards:
luis caramelo

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2013 09:18 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't use DVDs these days but stream video from various sources (Fandor and HuluPlus Criterion, Netflix.) We don't have tv in our house since my son was born 16 years ago. We have a laptop and an ipad for watching films and of course Super and Standard 8mm. The big screen is very satisfying for my small collection but alas where can one see the great majority of films on a large screen? We will get a large screen tv (when my ship comes in) to show DVD 's and stream but no cable! I like saving money to buy films. [Big Grin]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 12, 2013 10:56 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Luis, as long as you enjoy your movies, thats the thing. I remember back in the '80s,buying films from a chap, who used
to buy two copies of a film, one to use & one to archive! A very
expensive way to follow the hobby.

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2013 11:14 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi!hugh,that,s why i got in dvd the same films i got in super 8
at least it,s not soo expensive,as buy two prints of the same fim... [Cool]

regards;
luis caramelo

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2013 12:36 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's some screen Luis; I don't have a permanent set up and have to use my living room. The largest screen I can fill is 60 inches (5 feet), but i'm happy with that. (but envious of you).

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 12, 2013 12:59 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think mine is a bit smaller (210cm wide) and about 100", isn't that about 8 feet?

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2013 02:29 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
210cm is almost 6 feet 11 inches; still a good size.

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2013 03:12 PM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
robert my friend,in fact the sizes it,s important specialy to the scope movies,but you fell happy that,s the most important
tutch the reel and enjoy the running the film no matter the sizes.

regards:
luis caramelo

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC