8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » San Francisco

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: San Francisco
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 12, 2013 07:21 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody been to San Francisco lately? Of all the US cities that I have visited, none come close to the breathtaking City by the Bay. Tony Bennet of course has immortalized this stunningly beautiful city, with its steep hills, cable cars, Chinese quarter, and the awesome Golden Gate Bridge. Hitchcock also loved SF, which is why he filmed his masterpiece film, Vertigo there. Whenever I go to SF I do my own Vertigo tour. Most of the film locations are still there of course, including Scottie's apartment. I took a photo of my wife standing exactly where Kim Novak stood on Scottie's entrance step. K

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2013 08:44 PM      Profile for David M. Ballew   Email David M. Ballew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After living in Los Angeles for a number of years, I finally made my first trip to the Bay Area about five years ago.

You really nailed it, Paul, when you used the word "breathtaking." San Francisco took my breath away.

There are things I hugely appreciate about Los Angeles-- the many recognizable movie locations; hiking, biking, and other outdoor pursuits; the many wonderful people (and even the interesting stinkers); and the friends I've met who share some of my greatest passions.

But when I was standing in San Francisco, looking out at the Golden Gate Bridge on a bright, sunny day, I thought to myself, "I am standing in one of the Great Cities of the World!"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 12, 2013 09:18 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago, the electronics company I was working for moved production out of Tijuana and transferred it to a contract manufacturer in San Francisco. I flew out there twice to train people at the CM about assembly and test. I was scheduled to be restructured soon myself and travelling on an expense account. (I lived well while I was there!)

They put me in a hotel called the Argonaut, which is near Fisherman’s Wharf. The second trip I looked out my hotel window and saw the turntable where they turned the Hyde Street cable car for the trip back up the hill. I could walk out the front door and pass by Ghirardelli Square, look across to Alcatraz Island and be by the Golden Gate Bridge in just a few minutes. Walk the other way and there were 1930's vintage streetcars in the paint jobs of the cities they were bought from.

For a guy from a flatter place like Long Island, SF is spectacularly hilly. I remember the sidewalks turning into staircases they became so steep. One day I drove down a hill and found myself driving basically standing on the firewall to keep myself in my seat. The windshield was vertical at that point, and all of San Francisco Bay was spread out before me. I started to wonder how hard I had to stomp on the brakes before the whole mess tumbled end over end into the Bay!

One thing that was kind of disturbing was the guys hiding behind bushes and jumping out to scare people and expecting money from them.

-you just don't do that to someone from New York! (Gets the adrenaline flowing!)

The whole experience actually had 8mm related consequences:

Panorama International Travelogues

I definitely want to go back there some day. (Maybe this time I won't have to spend all day in a factory.)

Every time we cross the George Washington Bridge and find ourselves on Interstate 80, I say to my wife "You know, we can skip the Poconos in be in San Francisco in a couple of days!"

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 12, 2013 11:21 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most fabulous holiday that my wife and I have ever had together was in San Francisco. We did all the sights, went up through the wine country, out to Yosemite, drove down the Pacific Coast Highway to Hearst Castle - it was all glorious and unforgettable. The best moment for me was taking a boat under the Golden Gate Bridge as the sun was setting over the Pacific ocean in front of us. We both truly left our hearts in San Francisco.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2013 05:49 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was there in 2009 and 2012(briefly).Even with a heat wave it still steals my heart [Wink]

--------------------
Trevor

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 13, 2013 05:09 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Until it met RAY HARRYHAUSEN!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 14, 2013 07:05 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Quite the coincidence that you started this thread the day I arrived in San Francisco. It is a wonderful city, and if I didn't love New York so much I'd probably be living here.

-
I took this shot yesterday from Lands End park.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 14, 2013 07:33 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I retouched your pic Doug.

-

Looks like the fog has lifted.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 14, 2013 08:23 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Where''s the octopus?

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 14, 2013 11:31 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Hope it does'nt get Doug!

Now here's someone I'd like to meet in San Francisco:

-

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 15, 2013 11:44 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

I thought I saw a six tentacled octopus in the distance....

Pat,

Feel free to retouch the weather up a few degrees also.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 16, 2013 12:26 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up in San Francisco - grammar school thru college. I remember waking up to fog horns every morning [Smile] I eventually inched my way down the peninsula and now live in the South Bay where the weather is much warmer. I take the train up to The City ... usually to go to AT&T Park to watch a Giants game.

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2013 02:09 AM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have to travel there every year with work. I really miss it now, so much like my home city of Sydney. Lovely people and beautiful place. The hills keep you fit too!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 16, 2013 04:19 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice

Brilliant photo [Smile]

Graham.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 16, 2013 02:12 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My son took that picture while I was standing on Market Street for the 2010 World Series Parade. Thousands of baseball fans showed up to congratulate our Champion Giants who hadn't won a World Series in over 50 years. It was a magical day.

Here was my video of the day...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX5kIY9v9fk

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 16, 2013 08:56 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good Janice,...I like the music [Smile]

Graham.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC