8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Laurel & Hardy's last film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Laurel & Hardy's last film
Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2013 12:51 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just came across this story about the finding of missing footage of Laurel & Hardy's last film 'Utopia' (aka Atoll K). It's not a new story, but I thought others might have missed it like me.
Personally I didn't think their final film too bad. I know they had problems due to Stan's health; I think it delayed the film by more than a year.
http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/bfi-news/bfi-unveils-long-lost-laurel-hardy-print

|  IP: Logged

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2013 01:38 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
was this ever released on super 8?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2013 02:24 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Jim, I remember it being available from Niles Films. It's available on DVD.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 17, 2013 02:25 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not at all a bad film, IMO.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 17, 2013 04:34 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also a fine book on ATOLL K

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 18, 2013 01:31 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I thought the lads work was pretty good on this film. Most people just concentrate on Stan's poor health (he was most certainly suffering), but I always thought that if I could get ahold of a super 8 print of "Atoll K", I would do my own edit and just concentrate mostly on the lads and get rid of most of the rest of the cast and largely wasted minutes of footage, and the lads were as good as always, but the rest of the cast really bogged this down.

I hope that they release a DVD of this (wow, from an original 35MM nitrate print) as it (according to the article) is the original run time, complete with a number of great sight gags and such by the lads. I bet this film will favor a little better with this release.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2013 08:33 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just found this complete version on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAUREL-AND-HARDY-Atoll-K-UTOPIA-on-DVD-the-first-time-ever-uncut-/151060628571?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL&hash=item232bea445b

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 19, 2013 09:07 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The same film is cheaper on Amazon UK and post free.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Atoll-K-DVD-Stan-Laurel/dp/B00A6QGDTK/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1374242384&sr=1-1&keywords=atoll+k

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC