8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » 35mm ... Now I am hooked

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 35mm ... Now I am hooked
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 19, 2013 02:50 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, this is quality ... Picture is so sharp and crisp. My first day as a 35mm owner and I am awestruck. Will post some pictures of setup when all is in the correct place.

Was just gone from Monday to yesterday to pick up my first 35mm projector and now I feel at ease ... Just a few more movies and I am set :-)

Anyone know of a decently priced Battlestar Galactica, I am open to offers, even slightly faded ones

|  IP: Logged

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2013 02:58 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My condolences, ops... my compliments!! [Big Grin]

What setup do you own Vidar?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 19, 2013 03:02 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar
You will need a lot of room to store 35mm prints. Are you keeping them on cores in cans, or on spools?

--------------------
Maurice

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 19, 2013 03:43 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only have a cheap portable machine ... Philips FP23 ... Not very portable to me, weighs almost 50kg I think ... :-)

Use a CP55 for sound, only have Dolby Surround, not DTS or anythign like that.

I keep them on cores, 600m and they do take a lot of room. I hope to get about 5-10 films only, all I can have room for, but I might get carried away :-) Throw all Blu-Rays and DVD's maybe [Eek!]

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2013 04:16 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another one is gone from the Super 8 collector scene.
I know, you said you want collect every gauge, but I am sure not for a long time.
I can tell you an example: I collect only old classics in 35mm and the youngest print in my collection is Empire strikes back. Since a long time I am looking for a used Super 8 print of Star Wars Episode 3 -revenge of the sith. The price for a new print is something about 900 Euro.
I got an offer for a 16mm print for 1150 euro. Finaly I bought a 35mm print for 250 Euro. I am waiting for the parcel, it must be arrive next week together with Episode 2.
So I started to buy also recent prints. I thought my space limit is something about 40 - 50 prints, but I have now around 70 prints and more than 150 trailers and cartoons.
And I must say, if I have money problems, I start first to sell Super 8 and 16mm.

But I like this forum and his members more than the other film forums and you guys animated me to buy again Super 8 prints.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 19, 2013 04:41 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are very wrong about me there. Not stopping 8mm, 16mm and I do get the good feel from all those gauges (I think I'll even get into 9.5 soon :-) Anyone has a nice cheap projector 220v for sale?)

All reels are good reels

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 20, 2013 12:03 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome in the 9,5 world. Hope you find a projector soon.

--------------------
Dominique

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 20, 2013 07:16 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the 35mm home cinema mad house Vidar! My FP20 is sat directly next to my Super 8 sound projector and you will find all the film gauges complement each other and certainly not about size. I find it is the films subject/content and rarity that dictate the actual film format you use and I’m guessing you will find it just the same in time. Even though I have 35mm in I screen more Super 8 and 9.5 sound than anything else followed by 16mm, 17.5mm and finally Standard 8. I’m proud to report my multi film format shows are popular here and really fun.
Carry on projecting Vidar!

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 20, 2013 08:19 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks ... Up to now, I love it ... I do believe I need a wall to drown a bit of the sound away :-) Quite a lot more noise than Super 8 and 16mm

But the image is awesome

I don't know what I need of spares and such, but I guess there will be something need exchanging ... Not so many belts on it, but the plastic in the gate area might need replacing after a while ... Where do one get parts for these machines?

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2013 09:19 AM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most important think to prefer 35mm is, you need the right projector. Most of us don´t have a cinema in the basement and they screen in the living room.
I am very happy that we have a big living room with a big white wall and I have 8 meters distance to the screen (wall).
Philips machines are very good, and specialy my philips FP3 is perfect.
It is very quite, not like the S8 Elmo GS1200 but better than my Elmo 16CL-Xenon. This is very important for screening in the living room. The next important think is, how fast you can build-up your equipment. My projector fits in a cupboard and it is in 10 minutes ready for projection.
The last important think: My projector can use 2000 meter spools, so I can watch about 60-70 minute without a break.
If the use of 35mm is so easy, you don´t want watch more Super 8 or 16mm, or maybe not so much.
 -
 -
 -

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 20, 2013 10:15 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee
Is the FP20 the projector which has a pulsed light source in place of a normal shutter?
If so, how does the pulsing affect the life of the lamp?

--------------------
Maurice

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 20, 2013 03:51 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Maurice. No, it has a shutter and I disposed of the massive lamp house/ rectifier in favour of a halogen which suits our relatively short throw perfectly plus a very small lamp house so it all sits near the wall. Wanted a Kinoton for over 20 years and was pleased to secure a mint machine which made my day. Although I had 35 some years before having gone the usual route aka GBN, FP3 it is the Kinoton machines which hold the fascination for me and so simple to use.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 20, 2013 04:20 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oemer

Nice set up [Smile]

Graham.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2013 05:59 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oemer, your set-up and your pictures ..... wow!! They are giving me ideas. So good man.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 21, 2013 12:25 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at your setup Oemer remided me of the lengths people go to to have 35 at home. Someone stuck for space could bolt the proj head to the front (inside) having cut a port out, then rig up also inside a spool feed and take up. Pop in a couple of shelves for amplification and possibly splicing up and then have a very compact projection room, once closed no one would know it was even there.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC