8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Phishing - A Warning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Phishing - A Warning
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 23, 2013 02:15 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just received an email purporting to come from PayPal.

It look very realistic and quite long. It says that a recent check on my account has revealed certain issues, and until these have been resolved I will have problems operating my account.

It then goes on to give two links to click on to access, and says to then follow the on-screen instructions.

I cannot believe that PayPal would act in this way so I immediately deleted the email.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2013 02:25 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely not genuine Maurice, have had several myself; another one purported to come from Ebay, which said your account is being closed down. Someone wants your bank details so they can empty your account. Your probably aware of this, but there are still plenty of people who get taken in by these scams.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2013 03:56 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, I receive that fake one from "PayPal" today too. I forwarded it to: spoof@paypal.com, like I always do. I've been getting a few of these every so often for years, but this is the first one in a while....

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2013 03:41 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of these emails have typographical errors. If you check the email or the email source it came from youll see who its really from. The link they provide is not a secure paypal site but there own.I got one claiming my account was suspended from a bank that I didn't even have an account with.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 24, 2013 04:02 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can just delete all that says Dear customer or something like that. PayPal use your name in the greeting

[ August 24, 2013, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: Vidar Olavesen ]

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2013 06:22 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another one I get is from supposedly UPS saying they have a parcel they can't deliver. Don't know what the idea of that is. Another one (from Africa), claims that someone died leaving millions in a Swiss bank account, and they need you to pay the solicitor fees, in return you will get a cut of the millions.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 24, 2013 06:30 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
The majority of these scams originate in Africa Robert, there was
a huge expose in the Sunday press on this, another one is the
PPI gang that will check if you have been sold insurance you didn't
need, advising you to "press 5 " now, as soon as you do, you are
charged for that call, and the perpatrator of this "legal" scam, is
based in Africa. Isn't modern techno great.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2013 06:07 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to get a lot of those fake Ebay emails. Fortunately, Hotmail seems to send them directly to my junk email folder these days.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2013 06:23 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damm so I have not got zillions of dollars from the UN due to the scam in Nigeria, and all my diplomas aren't real and all the girlfriends who want me are not real too. What's the world coming too.

Seriously I get these type of e-mails everyday. NEVER click a link in any e mail always go direct to the website by typing the address yourself.

Like you say I get them from banks I have never dealt with. and the latest is about a parcel that they can't deliver, that link proberly puts a virus on your PC.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 26, 2013 12:52 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
your best bet if /when you recieve this mail is to go into your paypal account and change your password for security.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 26, 2013 01:05 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, the scammers are getting better and better, though most of them do end up in my junk file.

I think that the best way to protect yourself, especially when it comes to financial things, is to have a firm grasp as to just how much you do have in savings and keeping up with it all.

Daunting at times, but so necessary in this modern age.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 26, 2013 01:39 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
My advice, for what its worth, is not to do banking over your phone for a start. People are so gullible, they have every bit of information appertaining to themselves on this easily stolen piece
of equipment, no wonder ID theft is so prevalent.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 26, 2013 02:42 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A collegue had her professional e-mail account pirated. She could no longer accees to it but all her contacts received a mail stating that she was in a foreign country, that her money was stolen and that she wanted help. And she had no way, when she was aware of it to warn people that she only contacts by e-mail aas her account was no longer assessible to her.

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC